Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 12:15 PM

663 posts, read 778,125 times

Advertisements

Say if you meet a significant other that was a 10/10 in attractiveness except their faithfulness is 1/10
So they are super good looking, fit, confident, nice, funny, intelligent, has an interesting job, financially secure, great conversationalist, great at cooking, lots of friends, etc. They had every single quality you wanted in SO... except they are most likely going to cheat in the relationship...

If you picked 5/10 attractiveness and 5/10 faithfulness
Then they are basically average.... and 50% chance of cheating.

or

1/10 attractiveness and 10/10 faithfulness
So they are unattractive at all, overweight, negative outlook on life, always a downer, etc... but most loyal person ever and won't ever cheat.

or if you had some other combination you wanted...

Which combination would you pick?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2014, 12:19 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,370,179 times
Neither. I'd stay single. I wouldn't settle for either.

Old 01-31-2014, 12:21 PM

2,826 posts, read 3,991,787 times
Uhhhh... I'd stay single and just mingle my whole life.

Any combination would just add stress to life.

Old 01-31-2014, 12:26 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Have random sex with the 10/10 attractive girl and stay single.

Old 01-31-2014, 12:40 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,012,483 times
I hate rating people on a 1 to 10 scale, but will stick with this in reference to the OP's ranking of three potential people.

The 10/10 would not be committed or faithful and the relationship would fail. So being awesome in every other way would be irrelevant.

The 1/10 would fail because they would be a depressed downer, Eyore, and as such would have no ability to be happy or emotionally available for me.

Notice in neither of these does their physical state have any bearing. They are emotionally a disaster from the start.

The 5/10 would be the only place there would be potential, and even here this does not sound encouraging. Combine the chance to cheat, along with the likelihood this person will be emotionally distant... and again I am seeing a struggle in this relationship as well.

BUT, this is an odd exercise anyway. Faithfulness and attractiveness are not related or inversely related in and of themselves. They do not corrolate. Then, on top of that, positive personality traits are not mutually exclusive to cheating, nor ar enegative to faithfullness.

If all women represented one of these three examples, I would be single. Luckily, these examples are not at all part of some kind of social or psychological rule or given out in the real world.

Old 01-31-2014, 01:23 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,622,289 times
I thought attractiveness meant physical attractiveness, which means I'd pick the 1/10 in looks every time. But looking at those options, I agree with the others that I would remain single. I mean, it's like asking someone if they prefer to have a terrible relationship in one way over the other.

Old 01-31-2014, 01:43 PM

2,319 posts, read 3,051,605 times
No man is attractive to me if he isn't faithful. Before I get to know him I may rate him high on the attractiveness scale. But once I know he is the unfaithful type he becomes a BIG ZERO to me.

Old 01-31-2014, 01:59 PM

48,532 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Why would I choose from a bunch of made-up scenarios? Those don't represent life.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-31-2014, 02:07 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,863,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by techcrium View Post
Say if you meet a significant other that was a 10/10 in attractiveness except their faithfulness is 1/10
So they are super good looking, fit, confident, nice, funny, intelligent, has an interesting job, financially secure, great conversationalist, great at cooking, lots of friends, etc. They had every single quality you wanted in SO... except they are most likely going to cheat in the relationship...
I call this cruising for a bruising. Who needs a 10 in attractiveness (assuming you mean looks, but you might not)?
I can be happy with a 6 or even a 5 if she's fun or interesting to be with/talk to, shares some hobbies/interests with me, is very game in bed, and is overall well-adjusted (no loonies need apply). I don't need her to do much of the cooking, I can cover that. Not a huge deal, as long as she'll do the cleaning up afterwards. Fair's fair.

I really don't see this as the rocket science some dudes think it is. But YMMV.

Old 01-31-2014, 02:11 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,577,091 times
Funny, even in a hypothetical setting I'm unwilling to compromise. I could never be with someone I'm not attracted to and I would never be with someone who I even believed could/would cheat on me. As a matter of fact, I'm thinking I should stop off on the way home from work tonight and buy my wife something special for allowing me to enjoy both ends of the spectrum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships