Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 09:37 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,008,559 times

Advertisements

Even though Shayla and I haven't spoke for a week. She's said constantly about how much she likes/loves me. We're long distance, I'm here in AZ and she moved to Idaho last Spring.

The reason why they moved is because her roommate/best friend convinced her to go to Idaho for a "fresh start". It seemed to go well, they lived near friends, they took a trip to Hawaii. However, Shayla claims that she's never coming back down here. But there is an issue with that.

Her roommate, also a friend of mine got engaged to a guy I know out here. While she was visiting down here 3 weeks ago. Which kinda throws that whole "fresh start" thing out the window. And I think it's kicked up a huge bout of drama at home for her. And I don't know how to help.

Part of me says I should just sit back and let it play out, but I just want to know what Shayla's going to do. But I think she hasn't been talkative because of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2014, 09:45 PM

888 posts, read 1,099,853 times
I'm assuming this is girlfriend and not daughter? I don't understand the dynamics. If she is GF, I would think you would be happy she is returning, if you are indifferent to her, than play it out??

Old 01-31-2014, 09:51 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,722,713 times
If the two of you are in love, why wouldn't she come back to AZ to be with you? Seems like the perfect opportunity. Is she in school? Semester will be over in 3 months, so she can make the move then.

My ex H and I were long distance off and on for 5 years, USA <--> UK. We took every opportunity to be together. He took a year off college to spend with me. I relocated there the next year. That is what people in relationships do.

Old 01-31-2014, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumptacular View Post
I'm assuming this is girlfriend and not daughter? I don't understand the dynamics. If she is GF, I would think you would be happy she is returning, if you are indifferent to her, than play it out??
Oh God no! She's a girlfriend!

If she does return, I'd be more than happy. But she keeps saying she doesn't want to. Even though financially that might not be her choice anymore since her family is still down here aside from some grandparents in Montana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
If the two of you are in love, why wouldn't she come back to AZ to be with you? Seems like the perfect opportunity. Is she in school? Semester will be over in 3 months, so she can make the move then.

My ex H and I were long distance off and on for 5 years, USA <--> UK. We took every opportunity to be together. He took a year off college to spend with me. I relocated there the next year. That is what people in relationships do.
No. She isn't in college.

Old 01-31-2014, 10:02 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,176,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
Oh God no! She's a girlfriend!

If she does return, I'd be more than happy. But she keeps saying she doesn't want to. Even though financially that might not be her choice anymore since her family is still down here aside from some grandparents in Montana.

No. She isn't in college.

Did I miss something?
If she wanted to be there, with you- it'd happen.
If it's really love....it will. Only time will tell.

Old 01-31-2014, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
Did I miss something?
If she wanted to be there, with you- it'd happen.
If it's really love....it will. Only time will tell.
She's a lot like myself in a way. She wants to get out of this town.

But like you said. Time will tell. And by the looks of things for myself, my family won't even have this house in 3 months, and I'll be out of college and probably making that big move I've been planning on.

Old 01-31-2014, 10:21 PM

Quote:

But like you said. Time will tell. And by the looks of things for myself, my family won't even have this house in 3 months, and I'll be out of college and probably making that big move I've been planning on.
What's stopping you from making a plan together, if you know you will be free to move in 3 months. Three months is NOTHING and will fly by before you know it.

WHY aren't you talking to her and working on your future as a couple? What are you scared of? You will never have this kind of freedom again.

Old 01-31-2014, 10:24 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,176,723 times
Quote:

Well as long as she's not giving you mixed signals....
nothing is worse than being in a LDR with someone who's playing mindgames with you constantly

Call her bluff- tell her you're moving to her area...see what happens.

Old 01-31-2014, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
What's stopping you from making a plan together, if you know you will be free to move in 3 months. Three months is NOTHING and will fly by before you know it.

WHY aren't you talking to her and working on your future as a couple? What are you scared of? You will never have this kind of freedom again.
It's more like she hasn't been talking to me. For stated reasons above, I think her roommate bringing on the whole "getting married" thing on her and left Shayla flapping in the wind on what to do with rent and such is part of the problem and may be causing drama.

Old 01-31-2014, 10:51 PM

Quote:
It's more like she hasn't been talking to me. For stated reasons above, I think her roommate bringing on the whole "getting married" thing on her and left Shayla flapping in the wind on what to do with rent and such is part of the problem and may be causing drama.
I am surprised she is not comfortable talking to you about what she's going through and what her plans are.

In any case, a roommate getting engaged and making plans to move out (not immediately, surely) really doesn't seem like "drama" to me. It is a very common scenario during young adulthood. You just get another roommate, yes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships