Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 12:43 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,821,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
To some of the people posting on this thread:
Have you noticed how CONDESCENDING people who marry early, or even within 2 years of college, can be to those who don't get down the aisle within the same time frame?
My impression was completely opposite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2008, 10:14 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,266,175 times
I married at age 19, my husband was 20. We both finished college and have been happily married 32 years now. I don't know if that's typical or atypical, wise or unwise. That's just what we did and it worked for us. Just depends on the individual circumstances and people IMO. I will say that I think the OP in this case is maybe looking back with regret at something that is not, in fact, reality, had it had a chance to play itself out.

Old 02-22-2008, 10:38 AM

2,355 posts, read 2,182,280 times
After reading through this thread, I will just stick to the phrase "to each his own", like another poster wrote. It's a personal preference and circumstances whether you marry at 20, 30, or 60. Although the OP wrote that people over 25 could be considered amongst the "reject" pile because they hadn't walked down the aisle, that's also his opinion. I got married last year for the first time at 33 and my husband was part of the "divorcees" category because he married his first wife at 22 and what a mistake that was. I am glad I got married at my age and to my husband...I got to do all the stuff I wanted to do before meeting the right guy and settling down. I wouldn't have changed anything.

Old 02-22-2008, 12:12 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,829,069 times
My wife and I have been engaged since 1968.

We plan to get married on my 100th birthday.

She will be 93.

Our daughter will be the flower girl. She will be 64.

You are all invited.

No gifts or flowers please.

Old 02-23-2008, 01:38 AM

7 posts, read 29,400 times
I'm 24 and have been married for almost 6 months now I have been dating the same guy for 5 years and we have a 2 month old. I am completely happy. Happier then I can remember ever being.

robertpolygolt, I do not nor would I EVER consider my marriage a 'practice marriage'. I said till death do us part and I mean it. My parents married at 19 and 22. They will be married for 25 years. My husband on the other hand....his mom is on her 4th marriage and his father engaged for his 3rd. I don't think age has much to do with how happy and successful a marriage will be. I know it will be work, especially since my husband recently joined the military. I am prepared for that.

By the way, I am from Ohio. My husband and I own our house. I have a good job. He will have a great job when he is through with his training. I was plenty worried about my ACT's and where I was going to go to college....but I'm married to the man I dated then. I'm sorry if you think that's CONDESCENDING....I'm just a little frustrated with you.

Old 02-23-2008, 07:24 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,364,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OH0447 View Post
My parents married at 19 and 22. They will be married for 25 years.

My husband on the other hand....his mom is on her 4th marriage and his father engaged for his 3rd. I don't think age has much to do with how happy and successful a marriage will be. I know it will be work, especially since my husband recently joined the military. I am prepared for that.

I was plenty worried about my ACT's and where I was going to go to college....but I'm married to the man I dated then. I'm sorry if you think that's CONDESCENDING....I'm just a little frustrated with you.
You are then one of the FEW that was simulataneously juggling the decisions...doing the college thing and cementing the relationship that would take you down the aisle right after college. You are efficient. Many, if not most, are haphazard. Some people are too sensitive and think they are being referred to. I was referring to those who think love, without good planning and laying down a good foundation, will conquer all. To those people, grow up.

What's will all the marriages on the other side of the family? I'm sure your very nuclear parents have something to say about that, if not joke or smirk.
A few more times for those two on the other side and they can send in a prestamped, preaddressed card for one of the "multiple marriages" topics on some talk show. Yikes. I will never GET people like that. Sorry.

Old 02-23-2008, 11:34 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,951,402 times
Marry when your ready, and not before. Young, old, when ever. If you did, maybe we would have many more replies in the HOW LONG thread.

Old 02-24-2008, 12:07 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,364,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
Marry when your ready, and not before. Young, old, when ever. If you did, maybe we would have many more replies in the HOW LONG thread.
The smartest and most concise post on this thread. "Rep" for you!

Old 02-24-2008, 02:30 AM

43 posts, read 395,159 times
I had a great boyfriend when i was 15 years old... and we wanted to marry so much!! we were thinking of different ways that would help us to get married... at 17 we didn't want it that much... at 19 he was laready extremely annoying... and finally I insisted on breaking up....
and God, I am so happy that we were 15...as it was the only reason that stopped us from getting married )) I cannot understand why i liked him at 15...

I wouldn't say that I married at an old age anyway... I was 20. My husband said that he was not going to get married earlier than 30..but he did at 22.. I guess when you meet the right person, you can change your mind .

Old 01-28-2009, 01:16 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,854,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
Is there really any reason why two people cannot get married and still experience life? You can wait on children, build careers, travel etc just as much married as single.

There is no reason for life to become drab and dull just because of marriage.
This is certainly a good reason to not let children become the reason for getting hitched. Those couples who get "in the family way" and have this force them into marriage are usually heading for trouble. Those who plan to get their life in order, while married, and delay having kids, are the best off. A few years of effective saving, even as one does things that cannot be done with kids to care for, can set one up long term for a successful marriage and life.

Men who wait until their 30s will often have a very difficult time. This is the time that the ratio of single males to single women peaks (Its 1.84 to 1 where I live but at least 1.5 to 1, wherever jobs are available) and since most of these guys don't have the physical attributes and resulting confidence to make it possible to move into the younger crowd, their options are very limited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships