Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 10:29 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,642,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I think it is a mild sort of weenie wagging. They know they don't have a chance, so they trot out some sexual aggression and feel like a winner because she can't do anything about it and they get away with it.

Obviously, they are big time losers and are very unattractive. Maybe snickering to their friends about how they got away with being sexually rude is the only time they get to feel like a top dog.
This is something to consider too.... They're not serious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2014, 10:46 AM

184 posts, read 168,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
This thread was brought on by a new female platonic friend's Facebook status yesterday. Now this friend is taken. She is absolutely gorgeous (yes you can call her a 10 if you believe in the scale thing) so inevitably she is going to get cold approached. Now yesterday, she is waiting for a bus to go home. Guy comes up and says something to the tune of "wanna have sex on a bus?" Facepalm like a from my end. A couple of weeks ago, she went to get groceries and a guy busts out a real gem, "Do you have a name or can I just call you mine?".

Guys, why do some of us think such stupidly spoken English will actually work to pick up a decent lady? It just downplays the intelligence of the intended woman. What is so wrong with being subtle, since you know the woman from Eve at this point? I hate that ladies have to go through such 1st grade foolishness.
Sounds like these guys are just messing around. I used to say those kinds of things too when I was joking and not serious about picking up the girl.

Old 02-01-2014, 10:48 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,788,709 times
I think the man saying these things thinks they sound cute and clever, but in fact the only one who's amused is him. These are the same guys who buy t-shirts with sayings on them like "Psycho chick magnet." I mean, are they dumb enough to think they're going to be able to talk to a woman in that shirt? Apparently so, since I've seen men in them. Another t-shirt: "Hey Ho, let's go." Riiiiggghhhht! I'd love to go spend some time with Mr. Wrong!

When I was young and cute I had a lot more of this stuff said to me, and one that left me puzzled for awhile was "She's not ugly--she's oogly!" when I walked by two young men. I just stuck my nose haughtily in the air and kept going b/c I wasn't sure if it was an insult or a compliment and either way I didn't like being approached that way. Think I was all of 17 at the time.

Old 02-01-2014, 10:49 AM

184 posts, read 168,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I think it is a mild sort of weenie wagging. They know they don't have a chance, so they trot out some sexual aggression and feel like a winner because she can't do anything about it and they get away with it.

Obviously, they are big time losers and are very unattractive. Maybe snickering to their friends about how they got away with being sexually rude is the only time they get to feel like a top dog.
It's also possible that this girl isn't as universally attractive as he seems to think.

I know some very attractive girls. Most complain that guys do not approach them, but only stare. This is because a lot of guys get intimidated by extreme good looks....unless they're drunk (which is when these girls usually get approached).

Old 02-01-2014, 10:53 AM

37,591 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Actually, I thought the "...or can I call you mine" one was kind of funny. I don't mind them if they're not obscene. For ex., the "Tennesee" one isn't offensive, at least, but the escalator one? Fuggedaboutit. I think some people are so desperate to break the ice, they'll blurt out anything.

I also think that some guys just completely lose all good judgement when they see a very attractive woman. A guy in an office where I worked years ago who normally is reserved, considerate towards women, and a little shy, blurted out how attracted to a new employee's breasts he was (she wasn't around at the time). He and she were both married. I think if someone had called him on his comment, he may have been mortified that he had said something like that out loud. I think once the sight of a hot woman activates their hormones, some guys just lose it.

Great thread topic, OP.
I agree. I think that other than the lewd ones, such attempts are cute. I would certainly give a smile, if the guy appeared to be somewhat normal.

Old 02-01-2014, 10:53 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by datxcali View Post
It's also possible that this girl isn't as universally attractive as he seems to think.

I know some very attractive girls. Most complain that guys do not approach them, but only stare. This is because a lot of guys get intimidated by extreme good looks....unless they're drunk (which is when these girls usually get approached).
Yes. We had a thread recently about this, and some of the guys refused to believe that some very attractive women don't get approached. And there are other women who only get approached by sleazy guys who have no shame. Neither of those situations is helpful to women looking for companionship.

Old 02-01-2014, 05:14 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,211,994 times
I have a buddy that embarrasses me on occasion by popping out stupid one-liners to attractive ladies whenever we hit the strip. I tried to coach him into just saying hello with a smile and maybe shaking her hand, but...
He doesn't handle liquid courage well, but he still tries,lol.

Old 02-01-2014, 05:30 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,995,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
This is something to consider too.... They're not serious.
My initial guess is this would be the case. I know some guys just don't have good judgment, but some pickup lines are just too ludicrous to be true. I think they are meant as a joke by those who use them. I can't imagine anyone actually thinking they would work.

But who knows?

To the guys here, anyone ever use a pickup line? If so, what was it and what was the result?

Old 02-01-2014, 05:31 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,408,034 times
LOL, I once had a Fb status about this. It was about this pick up line that was used on me a few times by different guys...ahhh

"how much does a polar bear weigh?"

"enough to break the ice"

oiy.

Old 02-01-2014, 05:37 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,995,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
To the guys here, anyone ever use a pickup line? If so, what was it and what was the result?
Mine went something like this:

I enlisted a buddy's help when I spied a woman I wanted to meet. Together we created a minor diversion to draw her attention in our direction. At the critical moment, I emerged with a microphone and began in my best tenor, "You never close your eyes, anymore when I kiss your lips..."

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships