Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 02:18 PM

36,492 posts, read 30,820,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
^^^ IDK, Hall, it just seems like it shouldn't be so hard. Like the guy just isn't paying attention a lot of the time, he's not trying. Most guys manage to keep it together, and know they need to bring their phone cable. This guy sounds like maybe a combination of scatterbrained, and just not trying. (Like on the researching a weekend getaway place. Sounds like he just did a cursory job of it, just to get it crossed off his "to do" list, or something.)

And regarding choosing a desert, most guys these days call their SO from the grocery store. I see that all the time. This guy just doesn't care about doing a good job.
Yes, exactly and what hal2814 is suggesting is how one has to interact with a child not an adult partner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 02:19 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,511,169 times
oh-eve,

Same advice to you as I gave to the OP: You're always free to walk away. But if you (as well as the OP) keep finding that you're dating the same type of person, after a while, don't you have to ask yourself what you're doing wrong.

Old 02-03-2014, 02:41 PM

20,756 posts, read 19,947,491 times
yep.

Old 02-03-2014, 02:47 PM

663 posts, read 1,724,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Yes, exactly and what hal2814 is suggesting is how one has to interact with a child not an adult partner.
No, it’s how you have to interact with a person who has free will and can do whatever they want to do. If you want a subordinate, then hire one. My own life got a lot happier when I stopped trying to micromanage people that are under no obligation to do what I say. You ought to try it some time. It can’t be worse than doing the same thing over and over and being miserable about it.

Old 02-03-2014, 02:48 PM

1,115 posts, read 1,193,554 times
Tends to happen when the guy is a sniveling weakling and the woman controls the relationship

Old 02-03-2014, 03:03 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,834,922 times
It happens for multiple reasons.

Mother did it.
Lazy.
Don't like confortations.
Immature.
Depressed.
Pushover.
Thinks they can't do better.
Money.
Kids.
Age.

Old 02-03-2014, 03:50 PM

1,846 posts, read 2,043,938 times
MOTHERR!?!?!?! ISS THAT YOU?!?!

The funny thing is I treat women like children and like to dismiss them here and there sometimes. Seriously, if a girl tries to bust your balls by saying something stupid my favorite line is that's cute.

Old 02-03-2014, 05:38 PM

2,364 posts, read 4,869,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
Generally, women only treat men like children because the men are acting like children.
Took the words right out of my mouth.

Old 02-03-2014, 06:29 PM

6,883 posts, read 7,880,482 times
omg, I nagged my husband. It was a combo of things. My mother was a horrible nag (still is, she is nagging my dad who has Alzheimer's right this very minute about something he did wrong) I did not know how to treat my husband with respect.

And on the other hand, he did typical guy stuff...brought dumb things home from the grocery store, spent money without letting me know, didn't do chores he said he would do, didn't come home when he said he would. Of course, I did stuff like that also. We were terrible roommates.

I think a lot of us do not have great role models for marriage. Even if they had a good marriage, we tend to view our parents as parents, not as a couple, let alone as a couple of lovers.

I learned how to be respectful from my children...I had to model for them what I wanted them to do, and there is no way I wanted them to see a person who would be pissed off if they brought home the wrong kind of toothpaste or forget the phone cable. So I just stopped worrying about the details and focusing on what was important in life.

I'm 46, my boyfriend is 52. We are FINALLY mature enough for a lasting relationship.

Old 02-03-2014, 11:25 PM

102,183 posts, read 107,774,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
And on the other hand, he did typical guy stuff...brought dumb things home from the grocery store, spent money without letting me know, didn't do chores he said he would do, didn't come home when he said he would. Of course, I did stuff like that also.
So you were doing "typical guy stuff" too? I don't think that's typical guy stuff. Lots of guys don't do those things. That's just being immature and irresponsible, a genderless state, as you perhaps unintentionally pointed out. Nagging isn't necessary between mature adults. If you have to nag, the chances are you're with the wrong person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships