Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 06:06 PM

7,454 posts, read 13,428,627 times

Advertisements

Bury yourself in your career and become wealthy. The women will then chase you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 06:26 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,159,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz View Post
Bury yourself in your career and become wealthy. The women will then chase you.
Funny thing is, that is still the norm in more traditional countries, where marriage is still more of a socio-economic and cultural institution than a romantic one. If I'm a doctor in India and have spent most of my early life buried in academics instead of practicing socializing, it doesn't really matter because your family and/or friends will help you find a wife. You can be a "boring", conventional, straight-arrow workaholic and easily find a long term relationship. In Western countries where the LTR has become more of an individual's choice, burying yourself in your work will simply hamper one's social skills and in the long run hurt your chances of attracting women. Of course your career is important, and being rich and/or powerful helps, but Western women also value charisma, intelligence, and humor, at least in my personal experience. This is not to say that, say for example, a traditional Chinese woman doesn't value those traits, but being a kind or smart guy will not get you further in the mainland Chinese dating scene than having a high status job.

Old 02-03-2014, 06:40 PM

7,454 posts, read 13,428,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inebriated Duck View Post
Funny thing is, that is still the norm in more traditional countries, where marriage is still more of a socio-economic and cultural institution than a romantic one. If I'm a doctor in India and have spent most of my early life buried in academics instead of practicing socializing, it doesn't really matter because your family and/or friends will help you find a wife. You can be a "boring", conventional, straight-arrow workaholic and easily find a long term relationship. In Western countries where the LTR has become more of an individual's choice, burying yourself in your work will simply hamper one's social skills and in the long run hurt your chances of attracting women. Of course your career is important, and being rich and/or powerful helps, but Western women also value charisma, intelligence, and humor, at least in my personal experience. This is not to say that, say for example, a traditional Chinese woman doesn't value those traits, but being a kind or smart guy will not get you further in the mainland Chinese dating scene than having a high status job.
Some fair points in there and for the most part I agree.
Like anything to be successful, a healthy balance is Ideal. When I said bury yourself in work, I meant for 9 hours of the day, really give it all you have. If you really work hard and dedicate yourself, no matter the field you can become wealthy. Some occupations just take longer than others.

The people I know who are successful in both the dating world and work. Are people who dedicate a good deal of their leisure time, to social activities.

Old 02-03-2014, 07:24 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,202,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtbornnard View Post
It useless for me to even like a woman. I'm too shy to even say hi to one! I've tried getting rid of my shyness and nothing works. Knowing I can't get a woman to like me, I just bury my feelings and hope they go away for good. I can't approach a woman because I get scared. I do feel sad about this sometimes but I was born this way. I just want to bury my feelings towards women for good and not have to worry about liking them because I can't do anything about it. How do I do this?
As another poster stated " you can't". You will always wonder what you are missing and feeling lonely. You need to find ways to speak with women as human beings. Not just someone you want something from. I understand having trouble talking with women. Women I know I am comfortable with but women I don't know I have problems talking with. For example: last Friday night I was leaving the gym and just ahead of me was a cute young woman. She didn't know I was exiting the gym a little behind her. She turned back to me smiling and said I had scared her. She looked at me, still smiling, for a moment more. I wanted to reply but couldn't. I smiled back at her and walked to my car. You and I both need to learn how to seize golden opportunities like this.

Old 02-03-2014, 07:29 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,741,555 times
Go join a monastery...hopefully one without an internet connection

Old 02-04-2014, 03:14 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,733,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
Go join a monastery...hopefully one without an internet connection
Hallelujah and amen.

Old 02-04-2014, 03:47 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,652,905 times
Use a REALLY big shovel?

Old 02-04-2014, 03:51 PM

457 posts, read 605,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jma501 View Post
As another poster stated " you can't". You will always wonder what you are missing and feeling lonely. You need to find ways to speak with women as human beings. Not just someone you want something from. I understand having trouble talking with women. Women I know I am comfortable with but women I don't know I have problems talking with. For example: last Friday night I was leaving the gym and just ahead of me was a cute young woman. She didn't know I was exiting the gym a little behind her. She turned back to me smiling and said I had scared her. She looked at me, still smiling, for a moment more. I wanted to reply but couldn't. I smiled back at her and walked to my car. You and I both need to learn how to seize golden opportunities like this.
I think that's a golden opportunity to say something, anything, maybe like "I'm not THAT scary" in a flirty way. My problem normally is I'm rarely even in an opportunity like that. The only time a woman will take the initiative to start a conversation is when she wants me to look over her things or something. Otherwise, it seems I am almost always the initiator, which I'm starting to relish and take advantage of as time goes on instead of wimping out.

Old 02-05-2014, 11:07 AM
SF

286 posts, read 324,745 times
Quote:
It useless for me to even like a woman. I'm too shy to even say hi to one! I've tried getting rid of my shyness and nothing works. Knowing I can't get a woman to like me, I just bury my feelings and hope they go away for good. I can't approach a woman because I get scared. I do feel sad about this sometimes but I was born this way.
Although something like that has never happened in my case but......

I can understand what you're trying to say here.I have never approached girls as well, I just don't feel like doing so.I have my own reason for this(not shyness)

In your case I think you should never think that you're useless.If you think you're useless, you will become useless, you will remain useless.Hence I would say in short you making yourself useless.You have to first believe that you're good as good as anyone else,at least believe it.Everything starts from belief.If you are feeling bad about the fact that you can't approach woman do something about it.

Analyse what is causing you to feel useless and approach the root cause of it, you have to find in which areas other than shyness you're lacking, crying and whining is not to help you or make the situation any better for you.I know you've mentioned that you've tried but yes you've got to try harder(easier said than done) but I guess that how life is, some people struggle more than others for the same thing.

Also you should try to increase your confidence, work on it.Believe it or not confidence is an attractive quality and it does make an impact.Hence you should try to be more confident about yourself.

I might add to this, above all that I mentioned you also need despite your best efforts, provided you try.Yes some people they are just plain unlucky even those who are confident in their approach(but confident people are also known to make their own luck).Its sad.In your case if you've decided that you can't get a woman to like you, well I guess you shouldn't have to worry about it then.Just stay away from women and your feelings for them would eventually go away.just be yourself, live your life concentrate on your career and all those things that would keep you occupied and happy as well.

Quote:
I just want to bury my feelings towards women for good and not have to worry about liking them because I can't do anything about it. How do I do this?
Well a part of this question has been answered above and there is no clear cut and straight forward method for stop your feelings for women.With time it will go away slowly but steadily but it also depends upon how emotionally strong you are as a person

Old 02-05-2014, 11:08 AM

8,779 posts, read 9,452,560 times
Your problem isn't with females, it's with yourself

Self worth. Find it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships