Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 08:39 PM

10 posts, read 7,097 times

Advertisements

Hi guys

My previous post has been rendered mute as the woman I was interested in has moved town. C'est la vie! Many months ago I registered on an online dating site. One day someone contacts me and we start chatting. Unfortunately she was out of town for a few weeks so meeting has been problematic. We will for the first time meet this weekend. Meeting up for drinks on Friday and going to a party on Saturday.

Our chat sessions have been going great; lasting for hours at a time and I've been in seventh heaven during all of it. Until this past weekend that is. I'll paraphrase but in my goodnight I used the words 'my friend' in there somewhere. The next day I noticed that her responses are short and I asked if anything happened. She replies yes the 'my friend' comment really got to her, that she cried herself to sleep about me friendzoning her and it feels as if I'm not even considering us ever being more than friends. I immediately replied that the comment was not meant to friendzone her, as that is the furthest things from my mind right now, that my words were purely an attempt at a friendly goodnight and that I'm really looking forward to seeing her this coming weekend.

I know I screwed up, weird as I actually wanted to use different word in the message but thought them to be a little inappropriate for people who have never met. And besides how can we be anything but friends after only texting for a few weeks?

I cannot help but feel that that our interactions have changed. It's not the same flowing conversations as we have and fewer smiley faces are used. Incredible how two words can be understood so differently by two people! My question is; what can be done to calm the nerves, mine especially, before meeting on Friday? Now that this cloud, is hanging over us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 09:02 PM

102,252 posts, read 108,199,089 times
Wow. The day someone can't use the word "my friend" in a communication without the other person flipping out and taking it like they've been friendzoned is the day we should all give up. That's insane! Tell her you meant it affectionately, and she shouldnt be reading so much into it. In any case, things should (hopefully) get back on track after you see each other this weekend. And if they don't, no great loss, imo. Someone who would get so bent out of shape over such a minor thing is, well...red flag-worthy, I'd say.

As for your own peace of mind, go into it as if nothing has happened, and with the mindset that you're going to have a great date getting to know each other. Think positive, don't get hung up on it. For now, all you can do is text her that you meant it affectionately, and you're sorry she misconstrued it, and that you hope a small misunderstanding like that won't affect the great thing you two have going.

Old 02-03-2014, 09:06 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,333,155 times
Probably not much since she has already convinced herself that you want nothing more than friendship.
Good luck with this one and I hope it works out if you both want it to.

Cripes, some people are just too sensitive and read too much into such an innocent comment.
Did she expect you to say "Goodnight my love" when you have only chatted and not actually met face to face yet?

Old 02-03-2014, 10:11 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,684,682 times
Since you've not met yet, I don't blame you for not wanting to be mushy yet. Just tell her that. She's probably used to being mushy over chat with guys she's never met. Let her know that you are different and need to meet first.

Old 02-03-2014, 10:33 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,773,388 times
This is all happening via text, right?

And crying herself to sleep, really? You've never even met.

I would be worried that she is not who you think she is and you have set yourself up to spend a full weekend with a virtual stranger. Interacting face to face is very different from texting, FYI.

Old 02-03-2014, 10:38 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,684,682 times
Yeah, unless she's an idiot, she will get over this by Friday when you meet.

Old 02-03-2014, 11:13 PM

102,252 posts, read 108,199,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
This is all happening via text, right?

And crying herself to sleep, really? You've never even met.

I would be worried that she is not who you think she is and you have set yourself up to spend a full weekend with a virtual stranger. Interacting face to face is very different from texting, FYI.
D-R-A-M-A. This isn't at all a good sign at such an extremely early stage in the acquaintance. I'm starting to think this may not be worth salvaging. Let us know how the first date goes. You may discover she's a completely different person than what you thought, maybe a little unstable.

Old 02-03-2014, 11:18 PM

61,915 posts, read 87,471,218 times
Drama queen! Be happy you didn't met her. You would be dealing with it every day!

Old 02-03-2014, 11:27 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,773,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Drama queen! Be happy you didn't met her. You would be dealing with it every day!
Yes, the whole thing sounds like a non-starter to me.

Lesson learned: Do not get emotionally carried away with online relationships before you ever meet!

Old 02-04-2014, 05:55 AM

49,927 posts, read 60,067,356 times
Life is too short to live with a drama queen.

Also, FYI, your point is MOOT, not MUTE.

Unless you suddenly lost your ability to speak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships