U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 06:30 AM

382 posts, read 831,100 times

Advertisements

If someone is dating someone that they find attractive, but they know everyone else thinks is unattractive, is that person embarrassed when the go out with that person?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2014, 07:22 AM

18,606 posts, read 16,560,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bson1257 View Post
If someone is dating someone that they find attractive, but they know everyone else thinks is unattractive, is that person embarrassed when the go out with that person?
I'm curious. How would you "know" that "everyone else" finds your date unattractive? Do you take a poll?

This sounds like a made-up problem from the mind of a person who has very little understanding of how humans interact with one another in the real world.

Old 02-11-2014, 07:24 AM

11,075 posts, read 12,105,881 times
I think some people can be sensitive to what others think but if they're serious they need to grow past it. For years I tried to suppress my preference for chubby girls because I gave too much thought about what others thought. Getting over worrying about what others think of you is one of the most liberating accomplishments one can achieve. I honestly can't remember all the details about how I grew out of it, but I do remember it being a process more so than an "ah-ha" moment.

Old 02-11-2014, 08:12 AM

10,094 posts, read 9,401,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
I'm curious. How would you "know" that "everyone else" finds your date unattractive? Do you take a poll?

This sounds like a made-up problem from the mind of a person who has very little understanding of how humans interact with one another in the real world.
You forgot this part -----> /thread

If you think that everyone else thinks or cares if your date is unattractive, then to me it's a lie that you find them attractive in the first place, otherwise you wouldn't even be having those thoughts.

Old 02-11-2014, 09:44 AM

21 posts, read 26,144 times
Not everyone is attracted to the same people. I know people who think certain super models are gorgeous and others who think the same one looks like she was hit by a car. Either way, if you have people in your life who judge you about something like that, you should get rid of them. Or distance yourself from them. Because those people are toxic and shouldn't affect how you feeling about your SO.

Old 02-11-2014, 10:41 AM

12,061 posts, read 13,961,429 times
Ever see the movie, Shallow Hal? It's what you think that counts. Who cares what anyone else thinks.

Old 02-11-2014, 10:48 AM

9,122 posts, read 6,903,647 times
Quote:
I do imagine that is a risk factor, but in the end who you date is who you date. A bigger concern would be what that person does than what he or she looks like.

Old 02-11-2014, 10:52 AM

943 posts, read 904,288 times
Whatever you do, don't take someone you are afraid of other people judging as unnatractive out in public. Make sure you just keep it a secret. Perhaps you can order take-out, and watch movies on tv.
That should be enough for a while...
Just make sure when you've sort of been seeing each other covertly for years, make sure that you have it in you to tell her that you think she's ugly and you don't know why you can't stop seeing her. Be sure to add that there is nothing about her that makes you want to stay with her so you can't figure out why you like her...Thats how a person of character deals with such an dilemma.

Not really I'm being facetious. But, if you are so afraid of what other people think...golly. That seems awfully self centered

Old 02-11-2014, 10:55 AM

16,408 posts, read 27,893,038 times
Quote:
I dated a girl once who I didn't find quite as attractive as my other gfs. I was a little embarrassed to bring her around my friends or show them.

Old 02-11-2014, 10:56 AM

2,467 posts, read 3,810,465 times
Quote:
Yes, every single person who does this feels the way you described.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships