Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 10:31 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,804,861 times

Advertisements

I haven't personally, but I just saw 'The Lonely Guy' with Steven Martin last night and I thought it was quite a funny comedy. I didn't really learn anything new (I mean yes it's fiction but of course it still has relevance to the real world of dating) from it but it did get me thinking, since many of us watch a lot of movies, many romantic movies, it's sure to influence how we perceive things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 10:37 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
No, but I don't usually watch movies and I haven't watched television in about 15 years. So there is nothing that would influence my perception of how dating is supposed to be. Well, except for the fact I don't date any longer since I am married.

Old 08-13-2013, 11:10 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,996,977 times
I grew up in a remote area, so everything I learned about interpreting dating signals (especially nonverbal ones) was from books, tv, and movies.

It's worked pretty well for me.

Old 08-14-2013, 12:47 AM

15,080 posts, read 20,477,038 times
"Groundhog Day". And "50 First Dates".

[practice, practice, practice...!!]

Old 08-14-2013, 01:50 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
in high school, the movie "the last american virgin" was playing,,,the film struck me,,,that a popular guy, used and abused this pretty girl....but this really NICE guy,,sold everything he had to help pay for her abortion,(she got pregnant by popular guy) because she was his dreamgirl he wanted to help her in time of need and be a friend, they shared a couple innocent, moments, a kiss, she was very appreciative for the help, and that nice guy didnt view her as used goods..

at the end of the movie
there was a party,,, and NICE GUY shows up with flowers for dream-girl, and there she is, in the arms, of the original user and abuser-the guy that got her pregnant -and ran...
nice guy was crushed
he couldnt understand why she would ever be in the same room as this worm,,,much less be in his arms again

fast times at ridgemont high.....great movie,
never to do what judge reinhold did in the bathroom......when phoebe cates opened the door- "doesnt anyone friggin knock anymore" one of the funniest lines in film

Old 08-14-2013, 03:55 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,015,449 times
Be very careful with what you take from the movies.

Old 08-14-2013, 11:19 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times
I suspect that what men are taking from the movies is that men deserve gorgeous women and every man should get a dozen of them. It's like they don't realize actors and actresses are not "normal" ordinary people and the movie is fiction..

Time constraints in the movies mean that the guy gets his sex within minutes. Out here in the real world, it isn't going to work that way, but a lot of men get angry about it.

And both sexes have the mistaken idea that people with normal salaries get enormous expensive houses. Like the cop in New York or San Francisco that is living in a $2 million dollar apartment instead of a cold water walk-up a ferry ride across the bay.

Old 08-14-2013, 09:56 PM

727 posts, read 1,533,828 times
My role model is Jim from The Office. He took a chance on Pam, and now they're in the type of relationship that I hope to have someday. If he didn't put himself out there, they may not be together.

Old 05-18-2014, 04:25 PM

3 posts, read 9,373 times
Default um...the short answer is "yes."

I'm a teacher, and have emulated Dr. Egon Spengler on multiple occasions. In the movie "ghost busters", Egon is asked "what do you do in your spare time?" to which he replies "I collect spores, molds and fungus."

I was asked that question during the first day of school. Guess what my reply was. The students had no clue, but my coteacher dang near fell out of her chair.

I was also asked (and I'm being straight-faced serious on this) what constituted the difference between a "good" and "bad" grade on a quiz. My coteacher, stealing yet another line from ghostbusters, asked "I'm fuzzy on the whole good/bad thing", to which I replied "try imagining all life as we know it stopping in a split second and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light."

Ghostbusters again.

A student, wide eyed and pale faced, LITERALLY SAID "THAT'S bad? Okay, important safety tip, thanks teach."

Yup, another line from Ghostbusters.

Some of my freshmonsters, (9th graders), on whom the ghostbusters lines had been used, told me that they were going to go home and watch the film prior to midterm exams. After they finished their tests, I asked "how did yall do on the exam?"

The answer? "we came, we saw, we kicked its BUTT!"

Yet again....Ghostbusters.

But no, I haven't learned anything about dating from the Ghostbusters movie. Other than I should never go around with an unkempt appearance and crazy googley eyes while asking if one of them is the "gatekeeper, for I am vince glortho, the keymaster for gozer the gozarian." Last time I did that I got pepper sprayed before receiving a boot to a very painful place.

Last edited by 2Aslan78; 05-18-2014 at 04:28 PM.. Reason: forgot about the "dating" question.

Old 05-18-2014, 04:34 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,153,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I suspect that what men are taking from the movies is that men deserve gorgeous women and every man should get a dozen of them. It's like they don't realize actors and actresses are not "normal" ordinary people and the movie is fiction..

Time constraints in the movies mean that the guy gets his sex within minutes. Out here in the real world, it isn't going to work that way, but a lot of men get angry about it.

And both sexes have the mistaken idea that people with normal salaries get enormous expensive houses. Like the cop in New York or San Francisco that is living in a $2 million dollar apartment instead of a cold water walk-up a ferry ride across the bay.
You mean Al Bundy, a shoe salesman wouldn't/ couldn't afford that house on the sitcom "Married with children?"

If I ever see anyone pull the John Cusack "radio above the head" thing, with the song, "in your eyes" blaring, I think I might chuck apples at them. In real life, the cops would be called and neighbors would be bitching, "turn that fking radio off!" I must confess, I do like the song though.

I thought the movie, "Last American Virgin" was one of the most honest movies about teen romances. The nice guy doesn't always get the girl and to me that movie was more indicative of real life than any teen movie I've ever seen.

Movies just don't influence my love life though. I love movies, but I understand what they are-entertainment. I know that they are just movies. I've learned most things in life through real life interactions/ experiences. Movies are a short term escape. I don't think that they should be taken so seriously.

Last edited by supermanpansy; 05-18-2014 at 05:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships