Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 11:26 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,644,789 times

Advertisements

I would just like to have some understanding or illumination on this subject. What is the difference between long-term separation and divorce? I worked with a woman who said she was married, but separated. I figured she had been separated for a year or less, and she said it had been 10 years.

Why would anyone do this?

What are the advantages, if any, to separation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 11:30 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,642,263 times
I personally and honestly have never understood "separation". I mean, you are either together or not. I truly feel a lot of people do this to ease their conscience if they want to sleep with someone else, they can always say, "well, we were separated so that didn't count" and quite frankly, I find it completely pointless.
If you can't hack being married, just get divorced.

Old 12-30-2009, 11:32 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,398,043 times
Insurance aspect? Taxes?

Old 12-30-2009, 11:33 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,543,680 times
I believe a legal separation is designed to protect your interests while waiting for the divorce to be final. When you both decide the marriage is over, it isn't likely you'll want to live in the same home. It also gives you time to decide if divorce is what you really want.

Old 12-30-2009, 11:35 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,182,182 times
Nobody could ever accuse Hugh Hefner of rushing into things.

After an 11-year separation, the Playboy founder, 83, has filed for divorce from his second wife, former Playmate Kimberly Conrad, citing irreconcilable differences, Los Angeles court records show.

The pair were married in July 1989 and separated nine years later, but remained legally wed and lives in the home next door.

He adds: "I would've been happy to divorce her when we separated, but she wanted to remain married for our boys."

Hugh Hefner Finally Files for Divorce - Hugh Hefner : People.com

Last edited by Thursday007; 12-30-2009 at 11:44 AM..

Old 12-30-2009, 11:41 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
If the woman remained legally married to her husband for ten years or more, she will be able, after he dies, to convert her own social security to the full amount of his.

The down side is if either of them encounters a catastrophic illness or other liability, with large debts to be paid, the fact that they're still married could lay that responsibility on the other spouse.

Depending on their ages, they might have simply decided that a divorce is not worth the bother if neither of them expects to remarry. In some states, divorce is crushingly expensive.

Old 12-30-2009, 11:43 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,655,777 times
Well, first of all, you usually have to be separated (as in not residing together in the same household) before you can be divorced, although the laws do vary by state. The only reasons I can see for not moving forward with the divorce after the appropriate amount of time has elapsed is, first, that there is a need to retain the assets, or something like health insurance benefits jointly, or second that a judge ruled against granting a divorce (it happens), or third that maybe one of the parties won't agree to the divorce.

Old 12-30-2009, 11:47 AM

1,679 posts, read 2,542,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I would just like to have some understanding or illumination on this subject. What is the difference between long-term separation and divorce? I worked with a woman who said she was married, but separated. I figured she had been separated for a year or less, and she said it had been 10 years.

Why would anyone do this?

What are the advantages, if any, to separation?
There are no advantages-at least none that I know of-but one could remain separated with the possibility of remarrying their spouse. I could have gotten the divorce back in 2005, but he had some whacked out papers he personally delivered to me at my place of employment that appeared as though I would have to possibly pay him something in the near future, which was totally out of the question. Funny he tried to get me to sign them on my last day of work before I started to go to school full-time for my Graduate degree, but he has been given other opportunities to do it again and this time in our state and county, which was not done the first time he followed through on getting it complete. We have agreed to do it ourselves, but for me there is no urgency because I would not consider marriage nor entertain an intimate relationship again until my son is 18. I have completed the paperwork twice, but to no avail does he do his part to deliver on it. He has been anxious a couple of times due to possibly wanting to marry someone else, but he fails to deliver the finished product. It will only cost us $300.00, but until he is ready to do it I really do not concern myself with it. We have been permanently separated for five years, with many times on and off starting in 1995 after 12 years of being married. I have no problems giving him my portion to pay for it either. To be quite honest I should pay for it due to it being my decision to end the marriage. Just keeping it real!!

Old 12-30-2009, 02:09 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,644,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
Nobody could ever accuse Hugh Hefner of rushing into things.

After an 11-year separation, the Playboy founder, 83, has filed for divorce from his second wife, former Playmate Kimberly Conrad, citing irreconcilable differences, Los Angeles court records show.

The pair were married in July 1989 and separated nine years later, but remained legally wed and lives in the home next door.

He adds: "I would've been happy to divorce her when we separated, but she wanted to remain married for our boys."

Hugh Hefner Finally Files for Divorce - Hugh Hefner : People.com

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm talking about. An 11-year separation?

Old 12-30-2009, 02:33 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,998,989 times
It's kind of like getting in the pool at the shallow end instead of jumping off the diving board into the deep, I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships