Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 05:16 PM

11,669 posts, read 18,014,065 times

Advertisements

So I've been single all my life and I'm 29 years old (gay male). Over the past two months I've been seeing this guy and he seems like he wants to have a relationship with me beyond the sexual stuff. The sex is excellent and we're both very attracted to each other. However, my face is cuter than his, but his body is in better shape than mine. He's the manger of a fitness club and I'm an accountant lol.

So, this guy meets some of my key criteria that I look for in a guy: masculine, nice body, close to my age (only 1 year apart) and slightly taller than myself. We get along just fine.

But then there are some things that I'm not so crazy about, about him. He smokes weed about once a week (but never does it around me), he's fast paced, kind of hyper, but when he's with me he slows down considerably. And he only has a high school education (I have a master's degree). He has had a steady job for six years now as the manager of a prestigious fitness club that charges $165 a month for a membership. He's 28 years old and bisexual.

What should I do? I mean, he's got an amazing body, the sex is great, he's quite masculine, he's near my age and we get along well. But I wish his face was a bit more attractive and wish that he was more educated. Sometimes I feel like our discussion space is limited because of his limited education level.

I have always tried to find someone who meets about 85-90% of my criteria, but never found it. My friends and therapist are telling me that that's unrealistic and should aim more for like 75%. This guy meets about 70% of my criteria, I'd say.

Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2014, 05:49 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,931,546 times
What should you do?

Listen to your therapist.

Old 02-16-2014, 06:21 PM

16,959 posts, read 17,413,632 times
be honest. tell him he doesn't meet your relationship criteria, and that sex is the only reason why you're hanging around.

Old 02-16-2014, 06:34 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,480,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
So I've been single all my life and I'm 29 years old (gay male). Over the past two months I've been seeing this guy and he seems like he wants to have a relationship with me beyond the sexual stuff. The sex is excellent and we're both very attracted to each other. However, my face is cuter than his, but his body is in better shape than mine. He's the manger of a fitness club and I'm an accountant lol.

So, this guy meets some of my key criteria that I look for in a guy: masculine, nice body, close to my age (only 1 year apart) and slightly taller than myself. We get along just fine.

But then there are some things that I'm not so crazy about, about him. He smokes weed about once a week (but never does it around me), he's fast paced, kind of hyper, but when he's with me he slows down considerably. And he only has a high school education (I have a master's degree). He has had a steady job for six years now as the manager of a prestigious fitness club that charges $165 a month for a membership. He's 28 years old and bisexual.

What should I do? I mean, he's got an amazing body, the sex is great, he's quite masculine, he's near my age and we get along well. But I wish his face was a bit more attractive and wish that he was more educated. Sometimes I feel like our discussion space is limited because of his limited education level.

I have always tried to find someone who meets about 85-90% of my criteria, but never found it. My friends and therapist are telling me that that's unrealistic and should aim more for like 75%. This guy meets about 70% of my criteria, I'd say.

Help!

Well, that's a whole lot of horse crap right there, so I suggest you let him go, since you'll always be looking down on him.

You're an accountant. Get over yourself.

Old 02-16-2014, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
be honest. tell him he doesn't meet your relationship criteria, and that sex is the only reason why you're hanging around.
But he has a very sexy body

Old 02-16-2014, 07:04 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,394,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post

Help!
Perhaps he wishes you had a nicer body? And educated in what, exactly? Physics or Electrical Engineering? Why do you equate formal education with intelligence or even education?

I'm still in the process of getting my bachelor's degree, and I've dated many men with graduate and professional degrees. And while some may be skilled in their profession or field of study, I am quite skilled and adept in mine, and have no problem holding my own in a variety of academic and intellectual settings.

An ex of mine is a self-taught software developer. As an automath, I have mad respect for autodidactism. Your beau is doing well for himself. That should be enough.

I'd laugh at anyone who attempted to insult my intelligence by implying our conversation and interaction is limited due to lacking X amount of college credits. Not only would I laugh, but I'd happily challenge such baseless assumption. The end result would be a serious case of open mouth, insert shoe store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
Well, that's a whole lot of horse crap right there, so I suggest you let him go, since you'll always be looking down on him.

You're an accountant. Get over yourself.
Tell me about it.

Old 02-16-2014, 07:10 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,834,404 times
Oh Lord. LOL. Forget all that other stuff. I have 2 qustions for you:

1. If it wasn't for the sex, would hang out with him? Would you have anything in common? Would he be one of your best friends if you did not find him sexually attractive?

2. Do you feel like a better person around him? Does he bring out the best qualities in you, or make you see yourself in a new way that you actually like?

If you can't answer affirmatively to both questions then this is probably not long term relationship material. All that height/weight/looks/education stuff is irrelevant IMO. The right person for you may have none of those things on your list in the end, but they will make you answer those 2 questions with an enthusiastic yes. Sometimes that's all you need to get sexual attraction going.

You're welcome! LOL!

Old 02-16-2014, 07:30 PM

11,419 posts, read 24,533,874 times
Why don't you stay together till you get bored with him? Seems easy enough.

Old 02-16-2014, 07:52 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,718,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
Why don't you stay together till you get bored with him? Seems easy enough.
This. He'll probably get bored of you too.

Old 02-16-2014, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
Oh Lord. LOL. Forget all that other stuff. I have 2 qustions for you:

1. If it wasn't for the sex, would hang out with him? Would you have anything in common? Would he be one of your best friends if you did not find him sexually attractive?

2. Do you feel like a better person around him? Does he bring out the best qualities in you, or make you see yourself in a new way that you actually like?

If you can't answer affirmatively to both questions then this is probably not long term relationship material. All that height/weight/looks/education stuff is irrelevant IMO. The right person for you may have none of those things on your list in the end, but they will make you answer those 2 questions with an enthusiastic yes. Sometimes that's all you need to get sexual attraction going.

You're welcome! LOL!
1. Maybe once in a while. Aside from the sex, I do like his company. It's usually better than being lonely.

2. Somewhat, but only because I have a master's degree and he only has a high school education. So I get the feeling that I am a well accomplished individual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships