Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2014, 11:50 AM

102,181 posts, read 107,774,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Sure I can say "handsome" and "not handsome" to a bunch of pics, the attraction starts when I start to like them as a person.
Exactly. This seems to be a lot more true of women than of men, for whom looks seem to be primary more often than is the case for women.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2014, 11:51 AM

48,513 posts, read 34,800,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inebriated Duck View Post
Where do these numbers even come from? There is no serious evidence for any such statistical claims. These are just subjective claims, as in "Oh, every women I personally like is dating good looking guys, therefore all women everywhere must only be into good looking guys."

If memory serves it came from OKCupid, you know, they are right up there with the American Scientific Journal.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-22-2014, 11:51 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,154,869 times
Quote:
Where do these numbers even come from? There is no serious evidence for any such statistical claims. These are just subjective claims, as in "Oh, every women I personally like is dating good looking guys, therefore all women everywhere must only be into good looking guys."
These numbers have been scientifically proven by the people who have made them up.

Old 02-22-2014, 11:52 AM

52,185 posts, read 52,623,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Exactly. This seems to be a lot more true of women than of men, for whom looks seem to be primary more often than is the case for women.
Thank goodness, cause I see some ugly fellers out there......

Old 02-22-2014, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Agreed.

Though as I told my husband, women can't help it if men won't help themselves.

If guys are going to go on looks as the be all, end all..... that's a personal problem. Most men will put up with a LOT if the woman is hot and the sex is good. Though some women will too.

Old 02-22-2014, 11:54 AM

2,087 posts, read 2,848,099 times
Quote:
Of course people want the best, it is what has driven our species forward.
I take issue with that. I disagree. Competition for the best creates misery and marginalization. Not only in romance, but every part of life.

In the back of my head, I care what a woman makes and what she does and 'maybe I can do better' because society implants that crap in my head.

Who gives a **** if I date a hot wall street banker, or a chubby cashier at Wendys? Who says I'll be happier dating the former? Society? My parents? My friends? Screw them.

I'll be dead in 20-40 years either way.

Old 02-22-2014, 11:56 AM

Quote:
The numbers were just thrown out. Reverse them if you want. I don't care.

The point is that everybody wants above what they are.

Old 02-22-2014, 11:57 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,154,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJS99 View Post
I take issue with that. I disagree. Competition for the best creates misery and marginalization. Not only in romance, but every part of life.

In the back of my head, I care what a woman makes and what she does and 'maybe I can do better' because society implants that crap in my head.

But I'll be dead anyway. Who gives a **** if I date a hot wall street banker, or a chubby cashier at Wendys? Who says I'll be happier dating the former? Society? My parents? My friends? Screw them.
Why do you assume that the "best" for one person is the "best" for another person - or that the "best" means hot and rich?

I feel like I found the best man in the world - and he's not a hot, rich celebrity. I'm not miserable.

Old 02-22-2014, 12:01 PM

Nihilism never appealed to me.

I never wonder if I could do better than my husband. He is my best friend, and there IS nothing better than that. I highly doubt that another human being comes in a package (looks, personality, wit, etc.) that is more perfect for me.

Competition (work, life in general) has never made me feel miserable, you win some, you lose some. Being ok with that can only improve your outlook. You feel pressured by society? Well stop it. What you do is to make YOU happy, society really doesn't care that much.

Wanting the best for yourself DOESN'T mean a banker or lawyer, rich, good looking, or any of that. The best for yourself is that combination that makes you happy.

Old 02-22-2014, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Why do you assume that the "best" for one person is the "best" for another person - or that the "best" means hot and rich?

I feel like I found the best man in the world - and he's not a hot, rich celebrity. I'm not miserable.
Quote:
Nihilism never appealed to me.

I never wonder if I could do better than my husband. He is my best friend, and there IS nothing better than that. I highly doubt that another human being comes in a package (looks, personality, wit, etc.) that is more perfect for me.

Competition (work, life in general) has never made me feel miserable, you win some, you lose some. Being ok with that can only improve your outlook. You feel pressured by society? Well stop it. What you do is to make YOU happy, society really doesn't care that much.

Wanting the best for yourself DOESN'T mean a banker or lawyer, rich, good looking, or any of that. The best for yourself is that combination that makes you happy.
I don't see many people living that way. They want compatibility AFTER physical attraction and things like career and social status are satisfied.

//www.city-data.com/forum/relat...-can-work.html

I mean, I'll be honest, those things come highly into play even in platonic friendships.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships