Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 08:48 AM

7,454 posts, read 13,426,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor76 View Post
I don't hit up women in the grocery store, because I hate being there! I absolutely loathe grocery shopping,
With you completely. And no chance either of me flirting in a que, as always use the self serve. Great innovation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2014, 09:00 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,372,221 times
For some reason, I've had people of both genders ask me what the difference is between a shallot and a regular onion. They honestly wanted to know, and they weren't trying to pick me up. But it might be a good icebreaker. I was happy to chat about the ways that I use them and why I prefer them to a white onion, for example. Something like "I've been trying to fit more [blueberries/yogurt/tofu/eggs] into my diet. What do you use them to make?" if you see someone picking up a particular food in which you have an interest.

If they've got a prepared food, ask them if they like it better than something simillar from another brand.

Grocery shopping is so boring, most women would be happy to talk to you unless you're too aggressive or creepy. And by creepy I mean checking out her boobs or asking intrusive questions.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:04 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,928,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
For some reason, I've had people of both genders ask me what the difference is between a shallot and a regular onion. They honestly wanted to know, and they weren't trying to pick me up. But it might be a good icebreaker. I was happy to chat about the ways that I use them and why I prefer them to a white onion, for example. Something like "I've been trying to fit more [blueberries/yogurt/tofu/eggs] into my diet. What do you use them to make?" if you see someone picking up a particular food in which you have an interest.

If they've got a prepared food, ask them if they like it better than something simillar from another brand.

Grocery shopping is so boring, most women would be happy to talk to you unless you're too aggressive or creepy. And by creepy I mean checking out her boobs or asking intrusive questions.
That's really all it takes.

As for the creepy part, if you're going to ask someone out.. walk right up to her. Under no circumstances should you follow her a bit to muster up courage. If you have to follow her, just leave the store.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:23 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,383,370 times
Quote:
For some reason, I've had people of both genders ask me what the difference is between a shallot and a regular onion. They honestly wanted to know, and they weren't trying to pick me up.
I've had that conversation about leeks.

And I agree with what others have said upthread, it's not that you should be staking out the bulk food section of the grocery store looking for targets, it's more that you should just be open to opportunities when they arise. Women are everywhere, not just at bars on Saturday night. The grocery store may not be a slam dunk, but it's as good a place as any.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 02-21-2014 at 09:32 AM..

Old 02-21-2014, 09:28 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,968,204 times
Quote:
For some reason, I've had people of both genders ask me what the difference is between a shallot and a regular onion. They honestly wanted to know, and they weren't trying to pick me up. But it might be a good icebreaker. I was happy to chat about the ways that I use them and why I prefer them to a white onion, for example.
That's a great one!! I still don't know the difference. I guess I will ask a cute guy in the store!!

I would be happy to meet a guy in the grocery store - as long as he doesn't have condoms in his cart or formula.

Creepy = following and hiding behind shelfs.
Not creepy = just walking up to me slowly and acting all normal.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:32 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
I hate grocery shopping, and tend to try to sprint through it as quickly as possible and get in/out with as little hassle/interaction as possible. If you saw me in the store, you would find me to look rushed, and with b**chface on, just trying to get out. Not the optimum time to approach someone.

I did have a guy approach me once in a checkout line, commenting on the sushi in my cart, telling me he'd never gotten sushi, there, was it good, what kinds were best, would I like to get some sometime...I was actually bringing the sushi home to my then-BF, but A for effort.

Old 02-21-2014, 04:47 PM

399 posts, read 547,959 times
Thank you very much, ladies! Your advice is really on point and makes perfect sense.

If I can take the liberty to sum up the main points it would be this (and correct me if didn't get it right):

Never hover, approach immediately, confidently but casually. Say anything that's casual and indirect. Observational/situational comments or questions work very well.

My next question is: since the recommended way to initiate the conversation is very casual and indirect what's a good way for a man to transition to expressing his interest directly? You started off discussing the nutritional benefits of kale and it's going great! She's smiling and laughing. How do you transition from kale to getting her number?

Old 02-21-2014, 04:55 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,159,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistas View Post
Thank you very much, ladies! Your advice is really on point and makes perfect sense.

If I can take the liberty to sum up the main points it would be this (and correct me if didn't get it right):

Never hover, approach immediately, confidently but casually. Say anything that's casual and indirect. Observational/situational comments or questions work very well.

My next question is: since the recommended way to initiate the conversation is very casual and indirect what's a good way for a man to transition to expressing his interest directly? You started discussing the intricacies of making the perfect Mac & Cheese or the nutritional benefits of kale and it's going great! She's smiling and laughing. How do you transition from Mac & Cheese to getting her number?
You sound very desperate, calculated and creepy, to be honest. And not a single one of the lines mentioned thus far would ever work with me, to be honest.

Also it wasn't until your above quoted post that I realised you were a guy looking to get sex with a woman. I was trying to figure out whether you were a woman trying to hook up with another woman.

Old 02-21-2014, 04:55 PM

348 posts, read 498,325 times
Quote:
Many people suggest meeting women at the supermarket. But it seems a bit of an awkward environment to start a convo in. What would you suggest as a conversation starter? What would you be likely to respond well to? Of course that assumes good grooming, clothing, the guy is your type, confidence, etc, etc.

P.S. So far I could only come up with "Wow that's a huge cucumber, isn't it?" :P
ahhh no, that comment would make me very uncomfortable and I'd run from you

hmmm How about "would you like to grab a cup of coffee later today?"

It's yes or no from there

Old 02-21-2014, 04:59 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
My next question is: since the recommended way to initiate the conversation is very casual and indirect what's a good way for a man to transition to expressing his interest directly? You started discussing the intricacies of making the perfect Mac & Cheese or the nutritional benefits of kale and it's going great! She's smiling and laughing. How do you transition from Mac & Cheese to getting her number?
You read her response. She's smiling and laughing? Or sharing her recipe or tips for cooking artichokes? While she's doing that, check to see if she's wearing a wedding ring. No ring? Try to keep up the banter a little. At this point, it does get tricky. Is she just being friendly, or could you parlay the situation into something more? That's the $20,000 question. You could just say, "Hey, it's been great talking to you, thanks for the suggestions." And hope you run into her again sometime. Or you could go for broke, and ask her if you could get her something from the coffee bar. It really depends. Sometimes that can work, but sometimes--not. (But that's life.)

I also wouldn't say, exactly, "approach immediately". Like, don't suddenly rush up to her with your cart. Not that "immediately", lol! But as you're lingering over the same section as she is, ask your question casually.

You can practice these skills with others in the store, as well, to kind of warm up. It's just about being casually friendly with people in general. Don't think of it as a BIG APPROACH, with your entire self-esteem hanging in the balance. It's just neighborly conversation, think of it that way.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 02-21-2014 at 05:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships