Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 06:29 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,838,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vistas View Post
Thank you very much, ladies! Your advice is really on point and makes perfect sense.

If I can take the liberty to sum up the main points it would be this (and correct me if didn't get it right):

Never hover, approach immediately, confidently but casually. Say anything that's casual and indirect. Observational/situational comments or questions work very well.

My next question is: since the recommended way to initiate the conversation is very casual and indirect what's a good way for a man to transition to expressing his interest directly? You started off discussing the nutritional benefits of kale and it's going great! She's smiling and laughing. How do you transition from kale to getting her number?
Business cards. You say you do x y and z.You tell them to call if you need anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2014, 06:32 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,157,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
There's a guy at my grocery store I run into every once in a while. He always buys frozen fish sticks, several boxes, a couple different varieties. That's so obviously "singles food", I kinda feel sorry for him.
See, this why God invented direct to house delivery. Now the only people that know I'm desperately single are the pizza delivery drivers .

Old 02-21-2014, 06:36 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inebriated Duck View Post
See, this why God invented direct to house delivery. Now the only people that know I'm desperately single are the pizza delivery drivers .
I bet you're a good cook. There's a difference between having an occasional frozen dinner for convenience, and living off the stuff as a staple. That's just depressing. Especially at an older age. This guy was older and grey.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 02-21-2014 at 06:45 PM..

Old 02-21-2014, 06:43 PM

421 posts, read 676,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I remember when I was a kid my mom had gotten asked out at the grocery store. She was saying to my dad "you think he would have gotten the picture with a cart filled with fruity pebbles go-gurt and lucky charms"
Some men actually eat that stuff as a staple food. I don't know of any women that do though.

Old 02-21-2014, 07:09 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
Some men actually eat that stuff as a staple food. I don't know of any women that do though.

They can't resist the lucky charms because they're magically delicious.

Old 02-21-2014, 07:17 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,838,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
They can't resist the lucky charms because they're magically delicious.
They are....blue moons,yellow horseshoes, red ballons, rainbows, crescent moons, green clovers......oh my!

Old 02-21-2014, 08:09 PM

537 posts, read 768,561 times
Quote:
I remember when I was a kid my mom had gotten asked out at the grocery store. She was saying to my dad "you think he would have gotten the picture with a cart filled with fruity pebbles go-gurt and lucky charms"

Exactly. There's even a guy who calls himself the refrigerator dating expert, google it! He looks at fridges and tells you about yourself or the person you're interested in based on the contents and conditions within the fridge.

Old 02-21-2014, 08:50 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,102,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistas View Post
Many people suggest meeting women at the supermarket. But it seems a bit of an awkward environment to start a convo in. What would you suggest as a conversation starter? What would you be likely to respond well to? Of course that assumes good grooming, clothing, the guy is your type, confidence, etc, etc.

P.S. So far I could only come up with "Wow that's a huge cucumber, isn't it?" :P

OMG! I can be such a moron. LOL

A couple of weeks ago, I was trying to reach my favorite cereal and some guy came along and reached it for me. He asked me if that kind was good.

All
I
Said
Was,
"I like it."

DUH! I wouldn't be buying it if I didn't like it. I thanked him, put the cereal in my cart and walked off. It wasn't until hours later that I realized that MAYBE he was trying to start a conversation.

Or he was just being nice.

So, for all you guys out there that try this . . . if it doesn't work, that doesn't mean it's YOU. It could be that some of us women just have a lot on our minds. Most of the time, when I'm in the store, I have a million things on my mind. Other times there are fewer things and I look at the men, too.

This particular time, I was frustrated because when the store does have my cereal it's out-of-reach. They should put my cereal where I can reach it and everyone else should buy other kinds so that mine is still there when I arrive. LMAO That way, I can talk to men. See how putting my cereal in the correct spot frees up a lot of time and energy?

Old 02-21-2014, 10:53 PM

1,326 posts, read 1,137,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
There's a guy at my grocery store I run into every once in a while. He always buys frozen fish sticks, several boxes, a couple different varieties. That's so obviously "singles food", I kinda feel sorry for him.
Maybe he likes fish sticks? Who knows... I don't buy frozen meals so I guess I wouldn't have thought to consider frozen fish sticks as singles food.

Old 02-21-2014, 11:18 PM

1,326 posts, read 1,137,665 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanhvtnymd View Post
Exactly. There's even a guy who calls himself the refrigerator dating expert, google it! He looks at fridges and tells you about yourself or the person you're interested in based on the contents and conditions within the fridge.
Everyone always thinks I'm starving when they look in mine but I eat extremely healthy so I don't really have ready to eat foods except for veggies, fruits, etc. I don't think I even have anything that comes in a box except Truvia. I do buy some canned stuff but mostly it's fresh or frozen, whole foods.

ETA: Opps, I lied, I have a box of GS cookies someone gave me in my freezer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships