Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 02:56 PM

419 posts, read 846,253 times

Advertisements

This is something I've wondered about from my college days (decades ago). Sophomore year, I rented an apartment along with two other students I had met in the dorms the year before.

One of the guys, Bob (nineteen years old), was in a ten month friendzone with a girl (Mary, 18 years old). He was totally obsessed with her. Bob was a good guy. Sense of humor. Social.

Bob met Mary at a nearby grocery store where she worked part-time (she was not a student). Mary was very pretty and somewhat of a party girl. Mary lived at home with her parents about ten miles away, but she had no car. So Bob volunteered to drive her back and forth to work every time he could to win her over. Then sometimes after work, she would hang out our apartment with all of us. She made it clear that she wasn't interested in Bob in anything more than friends (friendzoned). However, Bob didn't give up.

He spent money on jewelry and clothes to try to buy her love. This went on for months. He spent most of his spare money on her. She was casually dating other college guys, but Bob was determined to be her boyfriend. He kept the attitude that she was going to be with him. I kept quiet, but inside I was doubtful.

Then, after ten months of being stuck in the friendzone, Bob excitedly told me that Mary had chosen him. They officially became boyfriend-girlfriend. After one month of dating, Bob and Mary got an apartment and moved in together. Mary was so passionate about him. She acted in awe about Bob thereafter. They were married within six months. They were still married years later and had children. I lost touch with them long ago. But I always wonder how Bob escaped the friendzone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2014, 02:57 PM

8,781 posts, read 9,448,003 times
Because bob was ready to give his liver if mary said rip it out please. It's what worked for her and he was comfortable with that life

Old 03-04-2014, 03:04 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,120,439 times
The cynic in me: Because Mary has had her fun and decided to cash in on her insurance?

The hopeless romantic in me: Because Mary realized after sleeping with a bunch of guys that Bob was who she really wanted after all.

Old 03-04-2014, 03:07 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,996,892 times
I am beginning to believe the friendzone deserves its own subforum.

26,700 posts, read 41,723,992 times
Best way to escape the "friendzone" IMO: realize there ain't one in the first place and do not accept the "consolation prize" of friendship from someone you know damn well you want to be more than friends with.

Bob basically sold his soul, which I would totally slap him silly in an intervention if he was one of my buddies.

458 posts, read 644,713 times
This story sounds outdated.
I'm assuming these two were baby boomers because neither one of them sounded as if they were in financial distress.

Old 03-04-2014, 03:08 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,060,340 times
1) She lied about not being interested in him to see just how much time he'd invest chasing her around and how loyal he'd be. There are lots of women who enjoy that - for men to "prove" their love and devotion. I'm not one of them.

2) She really wasn't interested in him but he wore her down, so she finally gave in and really did start to like him after the fact and everything worked out. I did that before. Dated a guy just because he would... not... let... up. Ended up together for years. Then I left him.

Old 03-04-2014, 03:09 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,801,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
I am beginning to believe the friendzone deserves its own subforum.
LOL... there is an irony in putting "friend zone" in its own "forum zone" (and out of the "realtionship zone").

Old 03-04-2014, 03:11 PM

260 posts, read 605,346 times
Friendzone = Woman enjoys your company but doesn't find you sufficiently sexually attractive or monetarily endowed

Old 03-04-2014, 03:12 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,060,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryManback View Post
Friendzone = Woman enjoys your company but doesn't find you sufficiently sexually attractive or monetarily endowed
What about sexually endowed or monetarily attractive?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships