Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 10:34 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,682,605 times

Advertisements

No. Dumb idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 10:37 PM

11,223 posts, read 16,387,154 times
My mom and step dad dated when they were teens. Knew eachother from the age of 10.

They went their own ways. Mom married my dad, had my brother and I, life went on. Dad died, a couple years after that they got in contact again. Been married about 15 years now.

Old 03-06-2014, 10:38 PM

48,445 posts, read 34,627,532 times
You both are different people now, no idea if it could work out....
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-07-2014, 10:47 AM

1,748 posts, read 1,291,228 times
I had same encounter where I ran into my ex years later after we broke off, we were an item at aged 18yo for few years... We got back in touch and he asked me out again, we were both single and I knew he wanted to get back together. We even went on a holiday together, but nothing happened because I'd realised my feelings for him are not the same anymore, so eventually we lost contact. Well, that was several years back and I never doubt it.
For your case, if you still feel connected to him as he does, go ahead and see what happens. Just make sure you both don't fall back into old patterns of whatever that caused your broke up.

Old 03-07-2014, 11:12 AM

718 posts, read 597,232 times
Sure, why not? In 10 years you have both matured (hopefully).

Go on a date and see what happens. Keep it casual, something like an early lunch date (no alcohol) at place you can talk . It'll either lead to another date or it won't. Just don't sleep together, it'll skew or impose feelings that may not be there.

Good luck!

Old 03-07-2014, 11:16 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,766,074 times
This would make an interesting thread. Would you redate someone from your past?

Old 03-07-2014, 11:23 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,400,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Confused123456789 View Post
Hello all,
I have recently gotten back in touch with a long term (couple years) ex from 10 years ago. We were young, 19/20, when we dated. Above all else, we were truly best friends. When things were good, it was by far the BEST relationship I have had. (I have had several, and know what I am looking for now). When we're together it feels like it was yesterday that we dated. Not that its been 10 years since we were even in touch.
I am aware and have kept in mind the reasons that made the relationship fail the first time. He has grown up since then. I want to learn from the past, not forget, but move forward.

I am thinking about giving it another go, not because I am lonely, but because of the connection we STILL have, even after all these years. I know he wants the same thing.

Can an old relationship really workout for the long run?
Maybe I'm wrong, but sounds like the reason why you're holding back is because you were more emotionally invested and don't want to feel hurt again.

Old 03-07-2014, 11:36 AM

8,076 posts, read 10,035,259 times
I will leave out the details...you'll have to buy the book to find those...but....

Dated a girl in my teens.....we were on different paths, but made it work because we cared to make it work.

A third party (her mother) sort of interloped and gave me the wrong message, and told her daughter differently for reasons yet to be determined.

Nevertheless, three marriages, and a lot of days/weeks/months/years wondering about the "what ifs," our paths crossed again (it wasn't that simple, but for purposes of brevity). That whole process took the better part of thirty years.

The past ten years have been a wonderful renaissance in our lives. I feel like I have been given a VERY special gift.

Perhaps you will too. No reason to not at least open the package.

Old 03-07-2014, 05:31 PM

4,001 posts, read 4,087,564 times
Points for Ted Bear for an uplifting story!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships