Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 11:55 AM

102,217 posts, read 107,859,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post

It goes like this. When I brought up going to Grad School back east to my guidance counselor, when I came home dad asked about it. He was expecting my counselor to completely downplay it and talk me out of it, she didn't. When I told him she didn't, he exclaimed that she "wasn't doing her G-D F'ing job" and demanded to speak to her with me over the phone. Worst part, he acted so cordial over the phone.
This is outrageous! But I bet she stuck to her guns (politely), and kinda set dad straight. She is, after all, an academic adviser. It's her job to encourage students to continue their educations, if their record shows they can handle the work. I also think it's safe to assume Dad didn't buy what she was selling.

What does Dad expect you to do, go work in a factory somewhere all your life?

The important thing is, if you want to become independent, you have to plan solidly for it. A little less dreaming, more concrete, practical, do-able plans. Step by step. The road trip can be a good temporary escape, but if you want to pull off the independence long-term, it has to be more than that, or you'll end up slinking back home with your tail between your legs. Good idea to keep your local job, though, just in case the best-laid plans fall through.

P.S. BRAVO, Zennie! *applause* Great story!

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 03-09-2014 at 12:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2014, 11:59 AM

52,249 posts, read 52,668,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Translation: As a man you better have some money.
What is wrong with that??

I know as a man a woman better have certain traits or I'm bouncing, why is it so bad that a woman would want a man with a decent job and a little cashola???

Old 03-09-2014, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Not sure why that is such a bad thing, good honest hard work never killed anyone.... plus the world needs janitors and other low end jobs, shyt has to get done.....

Old 03-09-2014, 12:13 PM

125 posts, read 195,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
What is wrong with that??

I know as a man a woman better have certain traits or I'm bouncing, why is it so bad that a woman would want a man with a decent job and a little cashola???

Traditional women do like a man to have be secure financially because should a woman want to stay home with children, a man needs to be earning enough to afford that. It's not like someone working the drive thru isn't attractive, it's that the financial security isn't there.

Old 03-09-2014, 12:19 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,725,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightRN View Post
Traditional women do like a man to have be secure financially because should a woman want to stay home with children, a man needs to be earning enough to afford that. It's not like someone working the drive thru isn't attractive, it's that the financial security isn't there.
I agree. I think people overlook this aspect of it. The guys on here who start crying about how women only want guys who are financially secure, also tend to be the same guys who expect their wives to stay home and raise the kids when the time comes.

Old 03-09-2014, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightRN View Post
I guess I'm not worried about it cause I've always made some serious greenbacks.....

Old 03-09-2014, 08:41 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,009,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This is outrageous! But I bet she stuck to her guns (politely), and kinda set dad straight. She is, after all, an academic adviser. It's her job to encourage students to continue their educations, if their record shows they can handle the work. I also think it's safe to assume Dad didn't buy what she was selling.

The important thing is, if you want to become independent, you have to plan solidly for it. A little less dreaming, more concrete, practical, do-able plans. Step by step. The road trip can be a good temporary escape, but if you want to pull off the independence long-term, it has to be more than that, or you'll end up slinking back home with your tail between your legs. Good idea to keep your local job, though, just in case the best-laid plans fall through.

P.S. BRAVO, Zennie! *applause* Great story!
It happened last October. Here it is plain, my dad doesn't want me going to graduate school, he has no say in it, and he has even worse to say about where I want to go for it. I've told you before, he doesn't want be going to a "n*gger state like Mississippi" for college. He's so convinced in how right he is about it, as I said, he flat told me that my advisor wasn't "doing her job". Top that off, he constantly recounts how I'm going to financially destroy myself going out of state for Grad School.

And then...he acted cordial to my advisor. Second he got off the phone he restates how "F'd up my goals are".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Not sure why that is such a bad thing, good honest hard work never killed anyone.... plus the world needs janitors and other low end jobs, shyt has to get done.....
Factory work sounds more dignified compared to mopping up **** after someone just apathetically let their child pee all over the grocery store tile. Because, I've already been there.

Old 03-09-2014, 08:44 PM

2,319 posts, read 3,050,958 times
Have you considered joining the military?

Old 03-09-2014, 09:05 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,009,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molli View Post
Have you considered joining the military?
I didn't.

I used to have the option screamed at me a lot a few years back, namely because "if you're going for a history major you can get the f*ck out and join the army because I won't support it."

I was grappling with bad depression back then, I just don't see how any applications I have would do any good in the service.

Sides that, I'd rather rot on the side of the road in poverty in at least an attempt at doing what I want than go through that again.

Old 03-09-2014, 09:07 PM

2,319 posts, read 3,050,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
I didn't.

I used to have the option screamed at me a lot a few years back, namely because "if you're going for a history major you can get the f*ck out and join the army because I won't support it."

I was grappling with bad depression back then, I just don't see how any applications I have would do any good in the service.

Sides that, I'd rather rot on the side of the road in poverty in at least an attempt at doing what I want than go through that again.
But with a degree you may be able to join as an officer ... huge difference. And it is a sure bet to get you out from under your father. And you would be able to get the military to pay for your grad degree when you finish. Just a thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships