Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 09:03 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlikeme View Post

Some of mine when I did online dating were probably considered no-no photos like a picture of myself fishing in the Dominican Republic with this huge fish I had caught and a shot of me playing adult softball. I shared it to show myself doing something I enjoyed, but I have been told by other girls that girls with fish are unattractive?
I've gotten this too, but not with fish exactly. Pics I like with animals or what not from my travels that I love, but my female friends told me "no way". I don't put them up, but I don't get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2014, 09:17 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,368,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post

Anyway, what are your dating profile picture pet peeves and likes? What works and what doesn't for you?
Doesn't work:

Bathroom mirror selfies.

Out of focus/low quality

Too far away

Group photo with a lot of women

Playing Where's Waldo

Lack of smiling pictures (I like to see the teeth)

Shirtless photos

Luckily, on OKC, I rarely saw these in my actual matches. If I used the "locals" features then I get all sorts of undesirable suitors. On PoF, these sort of photos are very common, which makes sense given the nature of the site.

I had an ex include a photo of us in his OKC profile, saying something like "My best friend. They don't make 'em like this anymore." He wasn't getting any responses, and someone later advised him to remove it. Yeah, women tend to know whether that "friend" was actually a friend.

All of my photos in my profile are self portraits. I don't have any real "action" shots since I don't just decide on the average day to hike, go spelunking, rock climb or do yoga. I'm rarely in front of the camera if it isn't me taking the photo, so the only non-selfie photos of me were taken by others during the holidays. Good thing I'm a photographer and I know what makes a good photo.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:21 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,802,378 times
Quote:
I hate when girls take those photos of themselves pouting, shot from an angle where they are holding the camera upward, and all you see are duck lips and cleavage and their full body is cut off so they look much thinner in photos.... I had friends who had those photos and wondered why all the dudes they met either made an excuse to leave right away or wanted FWB / ONS situations as opposed to a relationship. I have had many girlfriends bawl over how they're treated and part of it is the vibe they're putting out there with photos.

Some of mine when I did online dating were probably considered no-no photos like a picture of myself fishing in the Dominican Republic with this huge fish I had caught and a shot of me playing adult softball. I shared it to show myself doing something I enjoyed, but I have been told by other girls that girls with fish are unattractive?

I didn't include pictures with friends or a picture of me with my cat since neither of them could give consent.
You know, I've heard that about the "fish" pictures too. I tend to like them... but then again, it's associated with things I like too, so take that observation of mine with a huge dose of salt. I love scuba diving and a lot of the guys on the boat also fish (usually spearfish while diving). So I associate it with an activity I like (even if I don't really fish myself). Probably it's best to leave them out to appeal to a wider audience, but then again, there is something to be said for finding a woman who likes your hobbies too.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:23 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,802,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
Doesn't work:

Bathroom mirror selfies.

Out of focus/low quality

Too far away

Group photo with a lot of women

Playing Where's Waldo

Lack of smiling pictures (I like to see the teeth)

Shirtless photos

Luckily, on OKC, I rarely saw these in my actual matches. If I used the "locals" features then I get all sorts of undesirable suitors. On PoF, these sort of photos are very common, which makes sense given the nature of the site.

I had an ex include a photo of us in his OKC profile, saying something like "My best friend. They don't make 'em like this anymore." He wasn't getting any responses, and someone later advised him to remove it. Yeah, women tend to know whether that "friend" was actually a friend.

All of my photos in my profile are self portraits. I don't have any real "action" shots since I don't just decide on the average day to hike, go spelunking, rock climb or do yoga. I'm rarely in front of the camera if it isn't me taking the photo, so the only non-selfie photos of me were taken by others during the holidays. Good thing I'm a photographer and I know what makes a good photo.
I didn't have a lot of action shots either. So what I did was start bringing my camera and asking friends and such to please take pictures of me so I can put them on an online dating profile. I get some flak from them about the online thing (mostly friendly teasing)... oddly enough, mostly my guy friends who seem to worry about my safety for some reason (they always say, "be careful!") but they all help me out.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:23 AM

4,829 posts, read 4,283,297 times
I'm at the point of online dating where I just don't know what's right or wrong. Clearly there's the obvious, but then there's all these subtle details you have to follow to get a few more responses. Reading this thread, along with the many other online dating threads, just shows a level of stressfulness that doesn't seem all that healthy. I'm definitely not looking for Belle of the ball, but you do realize this is a lot of nit picking, right? When you break it down that it's ultimately two people meeting; we are breaking it down to the point to where it's like an arranged marriage! For that reason I slowed down online dating, because it just stopped being fun.

Ultimately, no matter what, it's going to boil down to what that person is looking for. Are they looking for friends, relationship, ONS, or FWB? You don't know which of the four, and it sucks to keep weeding through profiles for the person that lines up with you. I do think good pictures help, but that's obvious. I doubt any of us have that one picture that's going to take us from little attention to a lot of attention. I would think even the lamest picture is going to show 80% of who you are, even if you're in sweatpants and a t-shirt. At that point, and I'm only using this for illustration purposes, put lipstick on a pig, it's still a pig.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:24 AM

20,758 posts, read 19,964,416 times
I don't answer ads with the following pics:

Bathroom mirrors/urinal in background
Cowboy hat but no horse in sight
with a hot chick that's not your sister (I mean, really, WTF are you thinking? Especially when you title it "my best friend")
wife beater
shirtless
hugging dudes in a hot tub (yeah, no kidding, I saw that multiple times)
holding up a gun
making gang signs

Best pictures:
Perfomring any sport
with a dog
hiking
with/on a motorcycle
making a funny face (shows me you are fun to be around)
a completely hilarious face

Old 03-11-2014, 09:26 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,926,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I don't answer ads with the following pics:

Bathroom mirrors/urinal in background
Cowboy hat but no horse in sight
with a hot chick that's not your sister (I mean, really, WTF are you thinking? Especially when you title it "my best friend")
wife beater
shirtless
hugging dudes in a hot tub (yeah, no kidding, I saw that multiple times)
holding up a gun
making gang signs
lol!! this is why I htink online dating is so easy. the guys on there are idiots

Old 03-11-2014, 09:27 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,734,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
You know, I've heard that about the "fish" pictures too. I tend to like them... but then again, it's associated with things I like too, so take that observation of mine with a huge dose of salt. I love scuba diving and a lot of the guys on the boat also fish (usually spearfish while diving). So I associate it with an activity I like (even if I don't really fish myself). Probably it's best to leave them out to appeal to a wider audience, but then again, there is something to be said for finding a woman who likes your hobbies too.
LOL! I'm a lady, so I guess my friends thought men wouldn't like my fish pictures! I don't think they were so terrible, nor do I think guys were repulsed by a woman who will fish.... so I don't get their shock over it or why it was such a big deal. I thought of it as a photo of me doing something I like in an exotic location that just happened to showcase a fish!

Old 03-11-2014, 09:28 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,648,445 times
All pics are fine to me except ones of you and guys/girls of the opposite sex. That is just dumb. I also don't need to see more pics of your dog/cat/car/vacation spots posted, than pics of you.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:29 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,926,132 times
Quote:
LOL! I'm a lady, so I guess my friends thought men wouldn't like my fish pictures! I don't think they were so terrible, nor do I think guys were repulsed by a woman who will fish.... so I don't get their shock over it or why it was such a big deal. I thought of it as a photo of me doing something I like in an exotic location that just happened to showcase a fish!
yeah, nothing wrong with holding a fish. no guy is going to hold that against you unless he's the type of guy to wear a man purse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships