Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 03:16 PM

252 posts, read 348,857 times

Advertisements

Since I am a pretty good amateur private snoop, I am pretty good at digging up information on people. It's pretty easy to find out the basics and whether or not they're lying about their age or not.

Much to my surprise, most people have been honest about their age.

The only ones I usually nail for lying about their age are good-looking women in their 50's. I found an executive with a local insurance company advertising herself as "49" when in reality she was 54. Her pictures were very good looking though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2014, 03:19 PM

2,472 posts, read 4,211,976 times
It's really not that bad. Once I improved my profile (i.e. not basing it on checklists provided by the sites) and got some better pictures, I actually met some cool people. I think a lot of the negativity is a self fulfilling prophecy. Going into online dating with a better attitude should help.

Old 03-12-2014, 03:38 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,438,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
At one time I was part of the top 1% which meant I got lots of messages. However as I aged I still got messages, just not from most of the men I wanted. Many men contact every woman but the average and above average tend to stick to the top women and if they fail will go down. I got far more messages from below average men than anything else.

??? How about if YOU initiate contact with the men you want?

Old 03-12-2014, 03:40 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,438,243 times
Quote:
At one time I was part of the top 1% which meant I got lots of messages. However as I aged I still got messages, just not from most of the men I wanted. Many men contact every woman but the average and above average tend to stick to the top women and if they fail will go down. I got far more messages from below average men than anything else.

Damned if they do and damned if they don't, I guess.

Old 03-12-2014, 04:01 PM

2,028 posts, read 1,887,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Why would you assume that 7's are getting messaged by 10's? We have a member here who is a 6-7 (she posted her pic, and the guys said she was attractive), and she didn't get any messages at all for the months she was on OLD. Some of that may be due to the fact that she was in her 30's, though that doesn't explain everything. But still, the point is, you can't assume OLD is a walk in the park for women. After all the obscene messages and one-sentence (or two-word ('s up?) ) responses are weeded out, often there's nothing left.
Sorry, I don't accept "one person exception" or "people I know" anecdotes as proof. An typical, decently attractive woman will get more than enough attention online. Very people dispute that, even here.

Okcupid has put out stats, feel free to check them out.

Old 03-12-2014, 04:01 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,887,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheresTheBeef View Post
The profiles are BS. How the hell do you know whether or not you're going to interract and have good chemistry without meeting in person? Relationships don't work with checklists.
Going by that, it sounds like you are one of those who contacts people outside their range. The fact is some people have what are considered dealbreakers and to still contact them is wrong. I plainly stated no dads yet so many contacted me asking for a chance. Others have other dealbreakers.

Old 03-12-2014, 04:03 PM

4,613 posts, read 4,791,772 times
Quote:
Quote:
Because men seem to all contact the same women, the top percentage who have more choices. They tend to ignore the other women who they would be more compatible with.
Which is it? I believe the first quote is more accurate than the second.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Damned if they do and damned if they don't, I guess.
Exactly. Of course top prospects are going to be the target of top prospects. But to imply that the rest of women don't get messaged because the top ones get them all is preposterous.

The original implication was that men seem to message only the top percentage of women and ignore the others. But as we've seen, this is not the case. Rather, the TOP men will message the top women, to which I respond, "well, obviously".

Old 03-12-2014, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheresTheBeef View Post
No offense, and I'm not trying to troll, but in my 50 years of living my experience has been that those people who run around telling you how great looking they are or used to be, are usually a disappointment (looks wise) when you meet them in person.

Again, not trolling, just sharing my observations.
Well not all looks will appeal to everyone but I was definitely pretty. However looks aren't everything.

Old 03-12-2014, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
??? How about if YOU initiate contact with the men you want?
I did, and usually got no response.

Old 03-12-2014, 04:04 PM

4,613 posts, read 4,791,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom123 View Post
Sorry, I don't accept "one person exception" or "people I know" anecdotes as proof. An typical, decently attractive woman will get more than enough attention online. Very people dispute that, even here.

Okcupid has put out stats, feel free to check them out.
Believe it or not, a TON of people dispute that. I am not among those people.

Also, don't expect to find any kind of "proof" anywhere. You just have to take your life experiences and factor in whatever else you feel is useful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships