Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 10:20 AM

3,218 posts, read 2,810,665 times

Advertisements

So i know there is really no clear answer for this (except for the obvious) but just thought I'd throw it out there, since I've been doing the online dating thing for a couple of years now...and don't seem to be too great about reading my dates lol

So of course there are some very obvious signs of attraction or that the guy is into you when on your first date or meet, like a light touch, or a compliment...then there are pretty obvious ones like asking you again before the date is over, but not every guy who interested is going to do all those things, like shy guys, so those are a bit more difficult to read.

Now for the signs of rejection...again there are obvious ones like, your date looking everywhere but at you, he ends the date after an hour or two, seems uninterested in everything you say. Honestly I haven't really gotten any of these rejections, but a little over month ago I had a date with someone and I was almost positive he was into me! Anyway the next day I texted him thanking him for the date and he just responded with one word, so clear rejection...but I was pretty surprised, yet glad he didn't lead me on.

So my question is other than the obvious signs that I mentioned about the guy not being into you on the first date, what are some not so obvious signs that you guys give off? Again I am talking about just on the date itself, not what you do afterwards like calling or texting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2014, 10:27 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,860,632 times
Making plans 2-3 weeks later. He is playing the field. Unless he has a legitimate excuse. If interested most men will make time for the ladies they want.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Making plans 2-3 weeks later. He is playing the field. Unless he has a legitimate excuse. If interested most men will make time for the ladies they want.

I get that, but I'm referring to signs while your are on the actual first date, not what he does afterwards.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:33 AM

2,826 posts, read 3,991,787 times
Hmmm, in my case I wouldn't look at her or in her direction. Being short with verbal responses to conversation. Fake laughing. Not trying to initiate physical contact.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsun556 View Post
Hmmm, in my case I wouldn't look at her or in her direction. Being short with verbal responses to conversation. Fake laughing. Not trying to initiate physical contact.

What if you actually enjoyed her company (like thought she had a nice personality), but weren't physically attracted to her?

Personally when I'm on a date with guy and I'm not physically attracted to him, but still think he's nice, I'll make conversation with him but like you said I would probably avoid looking directly in his direction.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:41 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
I am curious about guys answer to your question.

I have had about 60 first dates last year. I rejected most but I had an awesome connection with some - so I thought - and never heard back.

During the date they gave me tons of compliments, told me I am pretty, look better than on my pics, "why is a woman like you single ...", love Germany, German women are not as difficult, your accent is sexy, Germans are so much better in ... blablabla kiss my a$$ blablabla ... We sat there for hours, having a blast. I usually don't really flirt on a first date because I don't want to come off cheap.

We agree to meet soon again. Hugs me as a good bye and I never hear back ...

A friend of mine tells me my hugs are too short and too distant and I turn too quickly away. But I can't believe that this sends out the signal that I am not interested. Other friends tell me I scare guys away (tall, independent and strong = intimitating).

So I am really interested to hear from guys, WHY on earth would you shower a woman with compliments, act all super interested, even bring up marriage on a first date and future talk and then never call her back???

Old 03-13-2014, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebe182 View Post
What if you actually enjoyed her company (like thought she had a nice personality), but weren't physically attracted to her?
I don't go out on dates with girls I'm not physically attracted to. That is not the male way of doing things.

Those girls get friend zoned.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:45 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post

So I am really interested to hear from guys, WHY on earth would you shower a woman with compliments, act all super interested, even bring up marriage on a first date and future talk and then never call her back???

I wouldn't do those things even if I was interested (other than acting interested by being engaged in the conversation). Sorry, I have no answer for you, except they're a flirt and they don't know how to interact with the opposite sex without being a flirt.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Those guys are trying to get you in the sack by trying to get you to have an emotional connection to them.

I never mention marriage on the first date. That would scare the crap out of me if a girl said that to me and I figure it would scare them as well.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:48 AM

867 posts, read 909,348 times
I'm super polite in real life. So, I would never be a jerk about things and I probably seem interested when I'm not. But for me it's always how the date ends that's the most important. If there is no physical contact i.e. a wave good bye or it's a hand shake then I am not interested or alternatively I don't think the girl is really interested. If I felt there was chemistry and a fun date then I will hug. Also, I will send a text immediately after the date just to follow up something like, "hope you had fun time are you free ____"

But you want more about the middle of the date. For me, a bad date is one where I'm interviewing and it usually ends up on things like career. So, if the conversation is not flowing i.e. your on the receiving end of a bunch of formal questions then that might be sign the date is not going well. Note, it might look like I'm interested in the answers but really I'm just passing the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships