Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 12:13 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,994,575 times

Advertisements

Please excuse the textspeak in the title -- there was a character limit.

This is inspired by srjth's thread. Have you talked about the what ifs? What if one of you has a permanent injury or health problem that makes sex impossible? What if the other finds, after years or decades, that love and compassion are not enough?

I don't think my ex and I talked about this in any serious way. We were not philosophically opposed to polyamory, though, although never interested in actually trying it while we were together. So I could see the incapacitated one maybe agreeing to a third spouse or partner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2014, 12:49 PM

2,319 posts, read 3,051,235 times
That would fall under my wedding vow in sickness and in health. Suck it up and deal with it.

Old 03-20-2014, 12:51 PM

1,846 posts, read 2,044,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molli View Post
That would fall under my wedding vow in sickness and in health. Suck it up and deal with it.
Agreed!!

I am too loyal to stray or cheat.

Old 03-20-2014, 12:58 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Absolutely falls under the "in sickness and in health" portions of our vows, and we're both solid on that.

Old 03-20-2014, 01:00 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,968,204 times
He can watch me bang the milk man.

It is not cheating if he watches, right?

Old 03-20-2014, 01:37 PM

552 posts, read 834,685 times
You both still have hands, right?

Old 03-20-2014, 01:40 PM

5,987 posts, read 10,470,434 times
We didn't make any vows that are likely to be broken. We only promised to stay together as long as we both love each other, and also realize that sometimes you love someone enough to let them go. In such cases, many - maybe even most - couples either split up or there's an affair. Those that don't often have a sexless marriage to begin with. Few people are so selfless as to stay when their needs are never going to be met, nor should they be, IMO.

Yes, we've discussed this. We have agreed to a poly or open relationship in such circumstances, and in extremis we'd get divorced yet continue to care for each other.

Old 03-20-2014, 01:45 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,723,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
Please excuse the textspeak in the title -- there was a character limit.

This is inspired by srjth's thread. Have you talked about the what ifs? What if one of you has a permanent injury or health problem that makes sex impossible? What if the other finds, after years or decades, that love and compassion are not enough?

I don't think my ex and I talked about this in any serious way. We were not philosophically opposed to polyamory, though, although never interested in actually trying it while we were together. So I could see the incapacitated one maybe agreeing to a third spouse or partner.
I'm pretty sure I could accept it, if something happened to her. It would be a big blow for her (perhaps bigger than for me) and i would try to put myself in her shoes to gain a little empathy for her feelings.

Old 03-20-2014, 02:19 PM

3,009 posts, read 3,642,528 times
I like to think if you SO was sick or could have sex for what ever reason it should be OK to sleep with someone .

Lets say you meet a great woman but she has fibromyalgia we get married and have a few kids but because of the pain or fatigue we do not have sex just not that often.

I like to think we can talk about and work something out . It put me in a though spot I love my family and wife kids and do not want to leave but I do have needs.

I like to think she would let me go to Vegas once a year to take care of my needs and come back to her.

Also i think it is a dick move to just cheat and not talk to her and let her know you love her and the kids and would die for them but you are sexually frustrated. A jerk move would be to leave your family because of little to no sex.

Old 03-20-2014, 02:26 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molli View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Absolutely falls under the "in sickness and in health" portions of our vows, and we're both solid on that.
Ditto!

No need for such a conversation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships