Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 10:59 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,838,486 times

Advertisements

Eh my mom and I don't get along.lol
Leave weezerfan84 alone. Haha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2014, 11:00 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Eh my mom and I don't get along.lol
Leave weezerfan84 alone. Haha.
Again, like Liberty and I already said, it's not about getting along with your mother, it's about HOW YOU TREAT HER REGARDLESS of whether or not you "get along" or "agree" or share the same views, see?

Old 03-14-2014, 11:05 AM

11,785 posts, read 12,022,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Again, like Liberty and I already said, it's not about getting along with your mother, it's about HOW YOU TREAT HER REGARDLESS of whether or not you "get along" or "agree" or share the same views, see?
Is it more clear if we flip it around? A guy who is argumentative, rude, disrespectful or unkind toward his own mother is likely going to treat any woman in his life like that, because it's part of who he is.

Old 03-14-2014, 11:10 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
Is it more clear if we flip it around? A guy who is argumentative, rude, disrespectful or unkind toward his own mother is likely going to treat any woman in his life like that, because it's part of who he is.
Bingo

Old 03-14-2014, 05:38 PM

4,829 posts, read 4,281,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
But are you respectful of your mother despite not sharing similar views or not being close? That's usually what is meant by how a man treats his mother.
My Mom and I haven't spoke much since last September. Things boiled over after years of frustration on my part and on her part. We are just that different. My brother has similar sentiments as I do. I love my Mom with all my heart, but I needed a break. I guess I've never been part of the fold that family is everything. You can't control the family you are born in, but you can control the people you are around. I love my family, but I'm not going to support them with every bonehead decision they make, and I would expect them to do the same with me. I'm all for accountability and not everyone deserves drunken unconditional love. I rather love from a distance in those situations.

Old 03-14-2014, 08:08 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,068,200 times
Overall, I'd look for most of that with any man I date. Just because I want someone like that. However, after a few x's and my own life, the ones I commented on below, I don't believe says anything about long-term relationships. What I got a kick out of....is that the questions assume everyone cares about the same things. It's a wonderful list, but alas, what's important to one person, may not be important to another.

Does he treat his family well?
Honestly, it depends on the dynamics. Some families are just damned horrid. So horrid, I wouldn't expect a guy to treat them well. I would, however, expect him to treat them either as they deserve, or just cut them out of his life. My friend used to hang up on his mom while she was still talking. He'd tell her he was hanging up and would say bye, but still. Click. I thought that was so rude....until I met his mom...then it all made sense. Woman doesn't know how to stop talking. Ever. I've since learned not to hold things like that against anyone unless I know the entire story.

Does he treat others well?
That depends, do they treat him well or do they walk all over him? Again, you need to know the dynamics. And again, I don't support treating people badly, just because they treat you badly, however, it's all about circumstances.

Is he open to trying new things and adventures?
Well, that depends. Is the person dating him open to trying new things and adventures? No? Then of course she doesn't care if he wants adventure....or maybe, she doesn't want an adventurous man. I can tell you this, my XH surely doesn't want someone that is adventurous....that or if she is, she'd better be willing to do it all by herself.

Is he encouraging and supportive of what I want in life?
Again, it's all about how it's done. My XH was encouraging and supportive and yet, he basically would let me do whatever I wanted. Honestly, it started to feel like he didn't really care about what I wanted, but by being "encouraging and supportive" that was enough to show he cared. Trust me, it wasn't.

Do my family and friends like him?
I care if my friends like him. I couldn't care less if my family likes him.

Do I like his family and friends?
It all depends on how much he interacts with them. If he's super close to his family, then yeah, I want to like them. If he's not and/or they treat him badly, I couldn't care less if I hated his family, as long as he was fine with me disliking them. Friends again, are more important because you CHOOSE them. So yeah, I'd like to like his friends.

And for those that listed the "does he treat his mother well", my first question is, "did his mother and father treat him well?" Then maybe the former question will be valid. There are many great men/women out there....raised by really horrific parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships