Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 11:31 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,426,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I don't really know how my sense of humor has affected my relationships. I would say that my friends and SO's all appreciate my sense of humor - and those that don't appreciate my sense of humor or don't get it probably just haven't stayed in my life for more than a few conversations.

x2.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2014, 11:38 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Pranks and a mix of wordplay, satire, etc., with almost no straight jokes or attempts at big laughs. Someone has to at least know Forrest Gump to be amused by my earlier line.

I'm disappointed by most replies, but maybe reading between the lines that means humor doesn't directly affect things much, despite what many women claim to want. I can see strong involvement of personal sense of humor in watching some TV shows and movies and going to comedy shows, but that's about it. Also, a very limited sense of humor would be damaging, but nobody admits to being humorless.

What do you expect from me? I'm not a smart man but I know what humor is.

Old 03-15-2014, 11:42 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times
Quote:
Pranks and a mix of wordplay, satire, etc., with almost no straight jokes or attempts at big laughs. Someone has to at least know Forrest Gump to be amused by my earlier line.

I'm disappointed by most replies, but maybe reading between the lines that means humor doesn't directly affect things much, despite what many women claim to want. I can see strong involvement of personal sense of humor in watching some TV shows and movies and going to comedy shows, but that's about it. Also, a very limited sense of humor would be damaging, but nobody admits to being humorless.
I'm not really understanding what kind of replies you are looking for nor do I understand why you think the replies have insinuated that humor is not important to women. I think most people want someone with a compatible sense of humor. My husband and I make each other laugh - all the time. We laugh everyday together. I LOVE making him laugh and I LOVE that he makes me laugh. I wouldn't be with him if this wasn't the case. Laughing with my husband is imperative to my happiness. But I don't see how this as my humor affecting my love life - I see this as finding someone who gets me.

Old 03-15-2014, 12:15 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,305,593 times
Quote:
Simple as that, re getting sex or relationships or maintaining relationships - how has your sense of humor affected things?
It has hurt it. I don't have a sense of humor.

Old 03-15-2014, 12:29 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,994,484 times
Quote:

You're disappointed that having a sense of humor doesn't correlate to how much sex someone gets? Women want a guy with a sense of humor that they can relate to. I can make entire rooms of men and women laugh, that doesn't mean that one or more of those women will be interested in me, they have to find other things about me attractive too. I don't know, or have met, a single woman who puts a sense of humor as her #1, there will always be more shallow traits or interests that will be much more important than how often you can make her laugh.

Old 03-15-2014, 12:39 PM

570 posts, read 721,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
You're disappointed that having a sense of humor doesn't correlate to how much sex someone gets? Women want a guy with a sense of humor that they can relate to. I can make entire rooms of men and women laugh, that doesn't mean that one or more of those women will be interested in me, they have to find other things about me attractive too. I don't know, or have met, a single woman who puts a sense of humor as her #1, there will always be more shallow traits or interests that will be much more important than how often you can make her laugh.
This.

Old 03-15-2014, 12:53 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,880,599 times
Key point of frustration: most people aren't indicating how, or if, they joke around with their partners or prospects or react when others try humor on them.

Old 03-15-2014, 01:04 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times
Quote:
Key point of frustration: most people aren't indicating how, or if, they joke around with their partners or prospects or react when others try humor on them.
I don't understand. I'm trying - but I just don't understand. I don't "try humor" on people. We either think someone is funny or we don't. I think my friends are funny so when they say something funny, I laugh. They think I'm funny - so when I say something funny, they laugh. My husband and I crack each other up all the time. We share a sense of humor. We make each other laugh. Sometimes we can just look at each other and crack each other up. But being funny isn't something I "do" to people.

Old 03-15-2014, 01:07 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,426,535 times
Quote:
I don't understand. I'm trying - but I just don't understand. I don't "try humor" on people. We either think someone is funny or we don't. I think my friends are funny so when they say something funny, I laugh. They think I'm funny - so when I say something funny, they laugh. My husband and I crack each other up all the time. We share a sense of humor. We make each other laugh. Sometimes we can just look at each other and crack each other up. But being funny isn't something I "do" to people.
x2

....again. lol

Old 03-15-2014, 01:10 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
Quote:
I agree. Humor is a natural thing that arises out of situations and conversations. If you are working on jokes or funny quips in isolation, you are doing it wrong.

Hang around funny people and you become better at this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships