Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 10:07 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,131,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
would you be willing to compromise your own convictions on things like marriage and having children?
Just on marriage and children? I don't have a strong stance on at this stage in my life.
Drugs and alcohol, honesty and integrity? No compromise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2014, 10:38 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,725,051 times
Potential partners rarely just "drop into" your life. You have to be looking for an "accident" to happen for it to actually happen.

Old 03-16-2014, 11:57 AM

48,531 posts, read 34,851,331 times
My husband vowed, publicly and privately to never marry again. I was fine with that and never mentioned marriage. Then he went and proposed.

He probably figured it was that or pee on me, and I'm not really into that.

Now I don't think he would go back on the no more kids thing because his are almost grown and he is looking forward to retirement. It's a non-issue because he had his tubes tied into a gordian knot and I had a hysterectomy, and we're old. /lol
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-16-2014, 12:49 PM

181 posts, read 218,334 times
Quote:
would you be willing to compromise your own convictions on things like marriage and having children?
I would have insisted on getting married but now?

I'd probably accept the live together if everything else about her were totally legit.

Old 03-16-2014, 01:12 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,860,632 times
I'm not against them so no compromise needed.

Old 03-16-2014, 01:16 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,428,441 times
I'm assuming the right person is pretty much on the same page as me.

Old 03-16-2014, 06:03 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
I think that for some people who have yet to ever be truly in love, there is a struggle with understanding stuff like this.

Here's the thing...when you find the right person, it's not that you "compromise your convictions" to be with them

It's simply that being with them brings out fresh perspective on some things that you could not have appreciated without this kind of love in your life.

The "right" person ENHANCES your life in all ways, including motivating and shaping you into the best you that you can be.

This frequently means changing some of those black and white lines in the sand we all draw when we are young

Old 03-16-2014, 06:06 PM

4,613 posts, read 4,795,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Marriage; very outside chance. I don't want to get married because I don't believe in the institution but I could see myself taking a shot if I have a very LTR with a girl.

Having children; absolutely not. I'm childfree and that is something you should NOT compromise on.

This is generally my view as well. My skepticism on marraige doesn't have so much do with the institution (though that's a factor), but rather the likelihood of coming across a woman so amazing that I'd be inclined to change my views in the first place. I've dated some pretty amazing women and still felt the need to date others as well. She's have to be pretty damn awesome for me to change my mindset.

Old 03-16-2014, 06:08 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,142,570 times
I’d get married yes, but at my age having kids is financial and mental suicide.

Old 03-16-2014, 06:09 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,860,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I think that for some people who have yet to ever be truly in love, there is a struggle with understanding stuff like this.

Here's the thing...when you find the right person, it's not that you "compromise your convictions" to be with them

It's simply that being with them brings out fresh perspective on some things that you could not have appreciated without this kind of love in your life.

The "right" person ENHANCES your life in all ways, including motivating and shaping you into the best you that you can be.

This frequently means changing some of those black and white lines in the sand we all draw when we are young
Great post!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships