Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 11:02 AM

1,351 posts, read 1,598,335 times

Advertisements

- Men walking in front of the woman is strange...in fact walking in front of ANYONE he's with (friends, etc.) is a bit odd. He is part of the group, so walk side-by-side with him/her/them. To not do that is a bit rude and a-hole-ish in my opinion. The only exceptions is if there's a lack of room (narrow corridor, crowded venue, etc.)

- I don't think I've been explicitly taught to walk closer to the street to protect the woman from splashes from cars, but I'm pretty sure I do it anyway as my parents did focus on teaching me gentlemanly things in general. (Hold doors, lend your jacket if she's cold, hold the umbrella over her while it's raining, leave her standing under the covered porch (or inside) while you bring the car around, etc.) The thing is, once a guy really "gets it" as far as being a gentleman is concerned, it becomes second nature to him. He will do gentlemanly things for a woman without even thinking about it...it comes natural to him. Even things that he may not have been taught.

And no it's not just a south thing. I'm pretty sure it's also common in the North, in places like SF, LA, NYC, Seattle, etc...and in many other areas around the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2014, 01:12 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,234,745 times
There are ethnicities where it is customary for the woman to walk behind the man.

I live in NYC. My parents are from Europe. My father always did the gentlemanly things, as well as my brother.

My husband holds the door open, has me walk in front of him, has given me his jacket, will stand and makes sure I have a seat, will get the car while I wait inside, etc. That's how he was raised. I don't think it matters where you're from.

Old 03-17-2014, 01:56 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymillionaire View Post
So I have a relative who grew up in the South & they pay attention to the most trivolous stuff between men & women IMO . He was talking about a man who walks in front of his wife is not worth his salt or if a man walks with his wife he should walk closer to the cars and her more to the curb. I apply the same rules to my stepson but it never occured to me that thats how grown couples walk as well.

I think they're just being polite.

Old 03-17-2014, 02:08 PM

2,467 posts, read 2,621,260 times
I don't know if it's a southern thing, maybe it's an american thing? I never heard of/saw it here.

Old 03-17-2014, 02:10 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,928,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enil View Post
Its an American thing. In Europe, men are aware of the fact that women are equal to men. Which means that men don't treat women like children, which is what's taking place when the man puts his body between her and the road.
Which is why it's so easy for American guys to pick up women in other countries.

Old 03-17-2014, 03:33 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,200,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
You keep doing that. Maybe the words will come out.
And if not, try fiber.

Old 03-17-2014, 03:57 PM

1,373 posts, read 2,957,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarzan_taborda View Post
I don't know if it's a southern thing, maybe it's an american thing? I never heard of/saw it here.
I never saw this in the States in real life or maybe I never paid attention. but it seems to be that on the internet, I keep hearing phrases like a man must be a jerk if he lets his wife on the side of traffic while he is nearer to the buildings.

This thread makes me want to lure my man for a walk & see where he walks as I never really paid attention.

Old 03-17-2014, 04:38 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymillionaire View Post
I never saw this in the States in real life or maybe I never paid attention. but it seems to be that on the internet, I keep hearing phrases like a man must be a jerk if he lets his wife on the side of traffic while he is nearer to the buildings.

This thread makes me want to lure my man for a walk & see where he walks as I never really paid attention.
I'm thinking you've never paid attention.

You sure devote a lot of mental energy to things that don't really matter.

Old 03-17-2014, 05:09 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,889,113 times
My exhusband always walked in front of me. He has long legs. But no amount of speed on my part, or requesting that he walk with me, or "Honey could you please carry the baby for a while" would ever enable me to catch up. He would never acknowledge that it might not be appropriate to leave me trailing in his dust like a Chinese wife. I sure as shooting don't miss that about him and would never again be with a man who did it.

I don't care much about the sidewalk thing. I suspect that is more for city folk and I'm a suburban gal to the core.

Old 03-17-2014, 06:17 PM

61,704 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
This is not a "southern" thing - it's just a gentleman thing.

Somewhere along the way you were just never taught it, or never learned it
^^^ This!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships