Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 01:54 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,196,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Well, explain away, since I don't see how that could be the case.
As in getting how to be successful with women. Not as purchasing a commodity.

Last edited by jma501; 03-18-2014 at 02:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2014, 01:56 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,793,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jma501 View Post
As in getting how to be successful with women. Not as purchasing commodity.

Ok

Old 03-18-2014, 02:17 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,315,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryManback View Post
(Premise 1.) Romantic love requires mutual physical attraction.

(Premise 2.) Physically attractive people are desired by both physically attractive people and physically unattractive people. Physically unattractive people are not desired by physically attractive people or physically unattractive people. That is to say, being unattractive does not magically make one attracted to unattractive people.

(Premise 3.) Whatever else is required for romantic love, is easy to come by once mutual physical attraction is present. Of course things like personality are important, but both men and women are lenient in judging those things once the physical spark has been lit.

(Premise 4.) Presence of romantic love is of utmost importance in human happiness. In fact, people who have a good love life but have a job that they hate, rate themselves as happier overall than people who love their job but have no love life.

Therefore, physically attractive people have an easier time finding love and have happier lives overall.

Harry, you are missing so much.

Old 03-18-2014, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calicali01 View Post
I disagree. Physically attractive people do have an easier time attracting people towards them, but I have found that physically attractive people tend to attract more negative people towards them then good people. This is why some women no longer want to be pretty, and they let themselves gain weight as to ward off all the negative/bad people.

Personally, I believe that average, and slightly below average looking people have an easier time finding love and have happier lives overall.

Thanks for the compliment!!!

Old 03-18-2014, 02:27 PM

788 posts, read 1,268,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryManback View Post
(Premise 1.) Romantic love requires mutual physical attraction.

(Premise 2.) Physically attractive people are desired by both physically attractive people and physically unattractive people. Physically unattractive people are not desired by physically attractive people or physically unattractive people. That is to say, being unattractive does not magically make one attracted to unattractive people.

(Premise 3.) Whatever else is required for romantic love, is easy to come by once mutual physical attraction is present. Of course things like personality are important, but both men and women are lenient in judging those things once the physical spark has been lit.

(Premise 4.) Presence of romantic love is of utmost importance in human happiness. In fact, people who have a good love life but have a job that they hate, rate themselves as happier overall than people who love their job but have no love life.

Therefore, physically attractive people have an easier time finding love and have happier lives overall.
I disagree because I am attractive and have had no luck with love for nearly 7 years. I spend most of time single and have watched everyone else pair off and be happy. I'm nearly 35 and am relatively happy with my life, but I'd be happier if I had someone to share it with. But that seems so unlikely to happen.

Old 03-18-2014, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooplaman View Post
Complain complain complain that's all some of you do instead of actually doing something for yourselves. You guys sit here and complain and rationalize your failures with women as if something is wrong with the world or the deck of cards are stacked against you. Time for you people to wake the hell up and realize it is YOU that is the problem. Stop hiding behind excuses and accept the reality that you must improve yourself. Why would a woman want to date someone like you? Is your personality boring? Are you happy without a woman? Are you codependent?

Stop blaming the world, luck, and other things you can't control and instead work on yourself. No one wants to hear your complaining...
You must be outside your mind!!!

...Cuz you runnin' all through mine.

Seriously, I told myself this exact thing in your post and it makes all the difference. I've realized I will not be happy with me until I am happy with me. The hottest women may tell me that I mean the world to them, as a matter of fact, some of them do tell me that I mean the world to them, but I am still not happy with myself because my problems have nothing to do with them.

The other (better) option is to just get over yourself because you might not ever be happy with yourself. Look to what you can do for others, you'll be amazed at what difference that can make in your life.

Old 03-18-2014, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krieger00 View Post
I know I should be dating and I do have things to offer .

Female i meet a school old and young are kind of surprised I do not have a GF . They say things like oh you just seem like you be married with kids is the vibe i give off. They do not get why i am so hard on myself . Most of the woman i meet have a BF or are married so it not like could ask them out.

I just feel the career I chose would define me as a man. Maybe it's a guy thing - or an anybody thing - that we want and almost need to make a fulfilling, meaningful contribution to our world.
Hey, you follow the path you believe that you must follow. It is not in anybody else's place to try to shame you, or down talk you into following whatever path they think you should follow. You live your life, others must live theirs and quit trying to live their lives through someone else.

Old 03-18-2014, 02:51 PM

13,584 posts, read 9,616,563 times
We see much wallowing in self-pity in this forum. That explains much of the impotent vitriol against the big bad world.

But there's another side to the debate. The fellows who bemoan ill luck with women aren't necessarily blaming women as a separate and inscrutable species. Some, of course, are saying precisely this. But for others, neither men nor women can be understood. Neither men nor women are accessible for social interaction. Interaction with men is easier, and often essential, because of the workplace (mine, for example, is almost exclusively male), and because of gendered hobbies (working on cars, shooting, etc.). Were it not for the workplace or hobbies, the person in question would be completely isolated. The isolation is mediated, with other men, by shared interests. The same generally can't be said about interaction with women.

The problem with dating is less about dating per se, than with human interaction in general.

If one happens to be physically attractive, then that initial interaction is facilitated. The first impression might be good. But the same problems eventually unfold, because they are driven by character and values, personality and temperament, and not by bone-structure or muscles and ligaments or skin and hair.

Old 03-18-2014, 03:03 PM

222 posts, read 434,972 times
OP, you know what they say about love. "It's complicated." It can't be reduced to logic, so don't even try. Instead, enjoy the unpredictability of it. The surprise. The agony. The sublime ecstasy. Don't try to analyze it, it defies analysis. That's part of its beauty. It's kind of a zen thing. Just take it as it comes.

Old 03-18-2014, 03:23 PM

3,009 posts, read 3,633,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Neither do we. It's all in your mind, Krieg.
The main reason is I want to make enough to take care a family one day right now I do not so I went back to school. I want the family life I never had growing up and want to see my kids grow up and not work two jobs 60 + hours a week. On top of that I want to show my kids that if you work hard you can over come things . it is very important to be successful in life. How can I say that to them if I am not successful ? Working retail is not successful in my eyes.

I know I am think to much but I can't help it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships