Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 10:51 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,716,751 times

Advertisements

I believe it is. Growing up I saw relationships and having a boyfriend/girlfriend was glamorized so much on TV, books, movies, etc. In almost every fictional story there is romantic interest. I think the whole idea of being with someone you care about and they care about you sounds wonderful, but I believe it takes a lot of time and work to get that connection with someone. I am asking because I am in my early 20s and my family and the people around me have noted numerous times how unusual it is for me to have never been in a relationship or interacted romantically with anyone.

I think if love truly exists it will happen in its own time for everyone. It does get annoying because people blow it out of proportion and think I have something wrong with me because I have never had a companion nor shared a kiss with anyone yet. I think it's fine for me, but the pressure to be with someone in our society is ridiculous. We all want love in one way or the other but why rush? People say the older I get the less people there would be to choose from. It wouldn't be like that if there wasn't so much pressure to date in the first place. It's hard for me to connect with any and everyone so that is the prime reason I am not dating. I am going to start school in a little over a week and I am seeking part time employment. I have bigger things to focus on.

I'm not saying people should wait until they are in their 30s or 40s to date, I just think if we weren't pressured so much, we wouldn't have so many of the relationship issues we have today. People don't take the time to work on themselves at all. This is my opinion but what do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2014, 10:52 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,920,376 times
no, it's not. only some people are over obsessed

Old 03-17-2014, 10:59 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,842,888 times
My mailman won't speak to me.

Old 03-17-2014, 11:03 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,920,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
lol!

Old 03-18-2014, 07:17 AM

11,785 posts, read 12,024,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
I believe it is. Growing up I saw relationships and having a boyfriend/girlfriend was glamorized so much on TV, books, movies, etc. In almost every fictional story there is romantic interest. I think the whole idea of being with someone you care about and they care about you sounds wonderful, but I believe it takes a lot of time and work to get that connection with someone. I am asking because I am in my early 20s and my family and the people around me have noted numerous times how unusual it is for me to have never been in a relationship or interacted romantically with anyone.

I think if love truly exists it will happen in its own time for everyone. It does get annoying because people blow it out of proportion and think I have something wrong with me because I have never had a companion nor shared a kiss with anyone yet. I think it's fine for me, but the pressure to be with someone in our society is ridiculous. We all want love in one way or the other but why rush? People say the older I get the less people there would be to choose from. It wouldn't be like that if there wasn't so much pressure to date in the first place. It's hard for me to connect with any and everyone so that is the prime reason I am not dating. I am going to start school in a little over a week and I am seeking part time employment. I have bigger things to focus on.

I'm not saying people should wait until they are in their 30s or 40s to date, I just think if we weren't pressured so much, we wouldn't have so many of the relationship issues we have today. People don't take the time to work on themselves at all. This is my opinion but what do you think?
The issue isn't "society", it's something internal to you. You are not comfortable, for whatever personal reasons, but that is something you have to work on for yourself. It's not society's fault that you march to a different drummer, the key is finding happiness in doing so.

Old 03-18-2014, 07:19 AM

365 posts, read 489,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
I cannot stop laughing. It hurts my ribs.

Old 03-18-2014, 07:22 AM

365 posts, read 489,948 times
Let me explain this the best I can without; quotes(Which are important) Or any actual facts. So; you have adam.... and he's lonely and depressed and feels like something is missing yet he can have anything he wants. God offer's another human being, and thus the human race started, by the girl being upset that his man will not get him the only thing in the forest that they cannot have.

49,932 posts, read 59,908,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post

These are things you need to tell your family when THEY pressure you.

41,938 posts, read 36,940,305 times
We're social beings. I can't think of a primate/ape species that isn't social.

You're focusing on romantic social relationships, and I think those might be a bit oversold in society, but they're far far from the only types of social relationships. The reality is most people will only have one romantic social relationship at a time, with some having multiples and some people having none. But you do have several, if not dozens, or even hundreds of non romantic social relationships going on all the time.

My mailman doesn't speak to me either. Repped.

Oh, and it is silliness to think you can't "work on yourself" and date at the same time. They're not mutually exclusive. I learn a lot about myself through the interactions I have while dating.

Last edited by timberline742; 03-18-2014 at 07:32 AM..

Old 03-18-2014, 07:30 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,159,151 times
No. Love truly is the greatest thing in the world. And you don't need to have tunnel vision in life and only do one thing at a time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships