Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 07:09 PM

102,205 posts, read 107,859,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostinPhilly View Post
A balanced mix of these two is exactly what I'm looking for. That's what I've been telling myself for the past few days!
A is indeed boring and that's the problem. I want a guy with a bit of excitement.
D was all over the place emotionally and career-wise too.
This here indicates that neither one is the right guy for you. You just haven't found the right guy yet. Keep looking. Don't date a guy who you feel is boring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2014, 07:16 PM

1,921 posts, read 1,740,153 times
Ruth4Truth - I don't understand why you keep suggesting counselling when clearly my issue is that I cannot seem to be able find the right guy.

Old 03-19-2014, 07:30 PM

718 posts, read 599,157 times
Quote:
Ruth4Truth - I don't understand why you keep suggesting counselling when clearly my issue is that I cannot seem to be able find the right guy.
You're in your early 20's, I don't know many people who've found "the one" at this stage of life. Ease up, take the pressure off. The right one wil come along. I'm not sure what the rush is? You don't need counseling, you need to relax. He'll come along when the times right.

Old 03-19-2014, 07:46 PM

1,921 posts, read 1,740,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jouster12 View Post
You're in your early 20's, I don't know many people who've found "the one" at this stage of life. Ease up, take the pressure off. The right one wil come along. I'm not sure what the rush is? You don't need counseling, you need to relax. He'll come along when the times right.
Oh, I'm not necessarily looking for "The one". But I'm just looking for something "serious", not a fling. Marriage is not necessarily the end goal. Love is. I'm in my mid-twenties and I've never been in love, so ideally, I'd like to experience this feeling. That's all.

Old 03-19-2014, 07:55 PM

867 posts, read 909,103 times
Quote:
Oh, I'm not necessarily looking for "The one". But I'm just looking for something "serious", not a fling. Marriage is not necessarily the end goal. Love is. I'm in my mid-twenties and I've never been in love, so ideally, I'd like to experience this feeling. That's all.
May I recommend a fun web-site for you? It's about this funny woman's look for love. She's 32 now but I think she started the site in her mid-twenties. If you are familiar with the band Jet she dated the drummer for five years. DO NOT CLICK ON IT AT WORK!!!!!

IMBOYCRAZY

Old 03-19-2014, 07:59 PM

2,472 posts, read 4,213,260 times
Do what you want. Live and learn.

Old 03-19-2014, 08:18 PM

13,646 posts, read 9,708,585 times
The PhD candidate (date "A") isn't necessarily the prototypical "nice guy", and the bartender isn't necessary a "bad boy". That trope doesn’t apply here. But what does apply, is the understanding that "A" has excellent career potential and earnings-potential, while the bartender does not. Recall the spate of threads on women demanding (or at least preferring) that men attain some level of material wherewithal. Well, the counter-argument is that the possession of such attainment, while nice, is no guarantee of the man's dating success. And secondarily, women value such success when there's hankering for forming a family – and not until then.

The OP is dating for entertainment and passion, and not for lifelong commitment. If her objective is temporary and aimed towards pleasure and amassing of experiences, then indeed "A" loses his advantages and she should pursue her amusements with the bartender. She should explain this forthrightly to "A".

p.s. Here's yet another data point on how PhD engineers get snubbed....

Old 03-20-2014, 05:01 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,447,211 times
Date someone else, then. Don't waste our time or his.

Old 03-20-2014, 06:04 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,734,733 times
Maybe HE doesn't want to see you again. I wouldn't.

Old 03-20-2014, 06:51 AM

458 posts, read 644,831 times
Quote:
A balanced mix of these two is exactly what I'm looking for. That's what I've been telling myself for the past few days!
A is indeed boring and that's the problem. I want a guy with a bit of excitement.
D was all over the place emotionally and career-wise too.
Person A is White collar ---------> Lives to work/Has very few life experiences which makes him sound boring/Probably earns a high figure salary which stays idle in his bank account

Person D is Blue Collar ----------> Works to live/Probably has more life experiences and knows how to live life to the fullest/Doesn't earn a high figure salary

Maybe this info will help you make the right decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships