Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: American ladies, would you ever date a muslim?
Yes 14 26.92%
No 38 73.08%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 06:48 PM

31,035 posts, read 22,064,322 times

Advertisements

That being said a Cafeteria Christian should have no problems dating someone from Culturally Muslim background. Not a whole lot different than a Cafeteria Christian having a relationship with a person with a liberal Jewish background.

Even people who are Muslim(who follow the 5 pillars) can be very open minded when it comes to relationships: Get on a major dating site and you will find 1/2 the women and men that say they are Muslim willing to date Non-Muslims. Can't be too close minded to do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2014, 07:56 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,793,423 times
@The OP: I am not a woman (yet, at least), but I would be willing to date a Muslim woman if she was relatively progressive/liberal and if she and her family were not anti-Semitic and/or anti-Israel. I myself am from Israel, so I am not interested in dating someone which hates my country of birth and/or hates Jews.

Old 03-21-2014, 11:24 PM

863 posts, read 1,129,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaboy View Post
Not sure what the stats are today, given the Ukraine crises, but about three years ago, of the 33 current world wide conflicts the UN tracks, 32 of them involved Muslims or Islamic countries. Kinda speaks for itself don't ya think? My dad always taught me, when you start having issues with EVERYONE, it's time to look at yourself in the mirror!!! Cause maybe the problem isn't EVERYONE else!
Not to make this a racial thing, but let's look at the history of the world and who has committed some of the worst atrocities (and some still do) known to man. Interestingly enough, these men are highly revered by a great majority of women in the world today...

Old 03-22-2014, 10:18 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,834,212 times
I dated a muslim guy for a while. He moved here from Iran when he was 2. He had all qualities a non-muslim guy had, just fancier rugs. I feel like this thread should be retitled "would you date a middle eastern person"

Old 03-22-2014, 10:23 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,354,404 times
You know, I talked to one on Match several years ago and he seemed nice enough.

It just seemed like he had to stress too hard that he was not like the others. That was pretty uncomfortable.

It would be a no for me. Besides, I am perfectly happy in the relationship I am in. Don't plan to leave it.

Old 03-22-2014, 10:26 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,163,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
I dated a muslim guy for a while. He moved here from Iran when he was 2. He had all qualities a non-muslim guy had, just fancier rugs. I feel like this thread should be retitled "would you date a middle eastern person"
I think for some people they have a problem with anyone of Middle Eastern descent - but I think more people have an issue with being Muslim than just being Middle Eastern. Some Middle Easterners are Catholic or of other religions - so I think it's probably harder to be a Muslim Middle easterner than a Catholic Middle Easterner.

Old 03-22-2014, 10:59 AM

2,084 posts, read 2,621,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molli View Post
So if they were US citizens they wouldn't be excluded simply because they are a muslim.
Fair enough. I thought you were implying that Muslims aren't American citizens or something like that.

Old 03-22-2014, 02:04 PM

39,222 posts, read 27,592,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjd1 View Post
So ladies would you ever date a muslim? Assuming he was a liberal and non religious?
I personally will not form an opinion based on a random poll conducted on an internet forum. I am willing to bet that if you replace Muslim with a certain minority group, you perhaps would get very similar result. I've known two Muslims who are happily married to American women. (non Muslims perhaps)

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
In the Western World, yes, of course. Muslims have been here in the USA since the beginning and have shed blood for the Great Nation of the United States of America in all major wars, from the Revolutionary War in 1776 to the current military actions in Afghanistan.

Craig Considine: Honoring Muslim American Veterans on Memorial Day

Many Americans who died on 9/11 at the World Trade Center were Muslims. At least one was a paramedic who ran into the building to save lives.

Muslim Victims of 9/11 - Muslim Victims of the 9/11 Terrorist Attack

It is unfortunate that such an overwhelming majority of people responded to the poll saying they would not date someone who happens to be a Muslim.
Interesting links, especially the first one, honoring Muslim American Veterans on Memorial day.

which remains me of the 442nd Regimental Combat Team of the United States Army - a regimental size fighting unit composed almost entirely of American soldiers of Japanese descent who fought in World War II

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/442nd_I...(United_States)

The only difference is that these nisei soldiers who were willing to go for broke to PROVE their loyalty and unconditional love to the United Stated, the ONLY country they can call home had once denied entrance of military simply because of their heritage.

Daniel Inouye a Medal of Honor recipient, a recipient (posthumously) of the Presidential Medal of Freedom, a United States Senator from Hawaii has once said, (sorry I don't remember the exact words)

".. In the heat of battle you are not looking for medals you simply put your whole life on the line to defend your country. looking back we realized today that how unjust America has been in the way it dealt with American Citizens with Japanese ancestry during WWII, yet I know of no other nation that will openly admit it has been wrong as this nation has done and take steps to correct such wrong. Only a truly great nation will risk making such admission., this is the America we have fought for and died for."

He also said, "I hope that the mistakes made and suffering imposed upon Japanese Americans nearly 60 years ago will not be repeated against Arab Americans whose loyalties are now being called into question.
------Daniel Inouye

Read more at Daniel Inouye Quotes - BrainyQuote

Having said that, I believe Veterans and women and men in the armed forces took the oath to support and defend the Constitution. These are the people who know to not take freedom for granted. Let's not forget that

"It is the soldier, Who salutes the flag, Who serves beneath the flag,
And whose coffin is draped by the flag, Who allows the protestor to burn the flag
. " --- Author: Charles Michael Province, U.S. Army

Dating whoever they want to date is a right. Freely express their dating preference either online or offline is First Amendment Right. No matter how much you dislike it and think it is unfortunate that somebody refuse to date a Muslim for whatever reasons, expressing different opinions is constitutional right. They are entitled to their dating preference.

Freedom of speech is my favorite right. It lets me state my opinion without fear and know that it's OK as long as I'm not slandering anybody or committing a crime.

People might not want to date a Muslim for different reasons. For example, they might not want to deal with certain family members of that Muslim. The reason might not always be the concern of loyalty of the country or the fear that the Muslim might turn out to be the next terrorist.

People refuse to date or dump somebody for many different reasons. I know a 37 year old woman who dumped 45 year old boyfriend because he didn't know what NPR is! I don't know why do SOME People have so many deal breakers or are so uptight, but as long as they know their dating pool is limited because of all these rules, dating is really their individual and personal choice.

Old 03-22-2014, 04:21 PM

1,341 posts, read 1,627,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
The way I look at it is if you really declare yourself to be Muslim you have to follow the 5 pillars. I believe the 3 major branches of Islam say you have to follow the 5 Pillar to be a Muslim.

I don't believe there is an equivalent rule in the other major religions that is the same amongst all branches.

The Five Pillars of Islam are five basic acts in Islam, considered mandatoryby believers and are the foundation of Muslim life. They are summarized in the famous hadith of Gabriel.

They make up Muslim life, prayer, concern for the needy, self purification and the pilgrimage. They are:
  1. Shahadah: declaring there is no god except God, and Muhammad is God's Messenger
  2. Salat: ritual prayer five times a day
  3. Sawm: fasting and self-control during the blessed month of Ramadan
  4. Zakat: giving 2.5% of one’s savings to the poor and needy
  5. Hajj: pilgrimage to Mecca at least once in a lifetime if he/she is able to
"If he isn't religious you are talking about muslim culture instead of muslim religion?"
That would be the way I see it too; Culturally Muslim is not Muslim.
I guess this makes U.S. as overwhelmingly atheist (yes, way over 90%), as well as just about any country in Europe from what I know of, given that very few would meet some "basic requirements", not to talk about the fundamentalist levels. I guess only the most fundamentalist groups (usually living isolated anyways) and usually religious officials (i.e. priests) would qualify as Christians as well.

Old 03-24-2014, 11:35 AM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
......... I am willing to bet that if you replace Muslim with a certain minority group, you perhaps would get very similar result. ...........
Absolutely. I won't date a Muslim, but I also won't date a fundamentalist Christian, or anyone from a religion that does that obnoxious door to door missionary work. There are some Odinists I wouldn't date because they are Odinists (different factions, and I differentiate)

The Muslim thing isn't about being Middle Eastern or about skin color. It's about a culture that oppresses women. No thanks to that.

I also won't date a vegan, an alcoholic, or the homeless, or anyone who smokes or doesn't like dogs, so there are minorities I won't date that have nothing whatsoever to do with religion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships