Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: American ladies, would you ever date a muslim?
Yes 14 26.92%
No 38 73.08%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 09:01 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,545,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
A Muslim equivalent of the American "cafeteria Christian" would probably be fine. Most people in the U.S. identify as Christian, but a lot of them don't attend church or really follow the Bible.
cafeteria Christian, I like that LOL

I think for most women it would matter more how you are as a person, aside from identifying yourself as Moslem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2014, 09:51 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,316,291 times
I have dated Muslims. The only difference between them and the "regular" men I dated was that they didn't eat pork. They drank alcohol and liked dogs. Otherwise, exactly the same.
Now, if you're asking me whether I would date a man who prays towards Mecca five times a day, the answer is a resounding NO.

Old 03-20-2014, 10:11 PM

48,513 posts, read 34,800,001 times
I would have reservations, but if I were interested enough would sit down for a discussion.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-20-2014, 10:12 PM

37,580 posts, read 45,944,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjd1 View Post
So ladies would you ever date a muslim? Assuming he was a liberal and non religious? Would you be suspicious if a muslim told you he was non religious, thinking he was just trying to get with you? Do you know anybody who has dated or married a muslim? How did it turn out?
I dated a Muslim. And after that, I knew I would never date another one. No way, no how. FAR too many core differences.

Old 03-20-2014, 10:20 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,545,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I dated a Muslim. And after that, I knew I would never date another one. No way, no how. FAR too many core differences.
If you think all Muslims are the same. And I can understand you might not want to take a chance again. But they aren't all the same.

Old 03-20-2014, 10:24 PM

37,580 posts, read 45,944,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodstockSchool1980 View Post
If you think all Muslims are the same. And I can understand you might not want to take a chance again. But they aren't all the same.
Not even going there again. Uh uh.

Old 03-20-2014, 10:30 PM

52,185 posts, read 52,623,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
I have dated Muslims. The only difference between them and the "regular" men I dated was that they didn't eat pork. They drank alcohol and liked dogs. Otherwise, exactly the same.
Now, if you're asking me whether I would date a man who prays towards Mecca five times a day, the answer is a resounding NO.
You dated "a la care Muslims"..... the true Muslims are the roll the carpet out 5 times a day and face mecca types...... also the Sharia law followers... those guys are real treats......

Old 03-20-2014, 10:41 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,538,654 times
Is being Islamic but not religiously observent really a common thing? I feel like the rules are pretty strict on the fact that being "culturally" Islamic = being religious. It doesn't really seem like a belief system that encourages dabbling and not being all-in. But it could just be that I've only ever known observent Muslims.

Old 03-20-2014, 11:36 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,067,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Is being Islamic but not religiously observant really a common thing?
In the Western World, yes, of course. Muslims have been here in the USA since the beginning and have shed blood for the Great Nation of the United States of America in all major wars, from the Revolutionary War in 1776 to the current military actions in Afghanistan.

Craig Considine: Honoring Muslim American Veterans on Memorial Day

Five myths about Muslims in America - The Washington Post

Muslims In America - 1700's

Many Americans who died on 9/11 at the World Trade Center were Muslims. At least one was a paramedic who ran into the building to save lives.

Muslim Victims of 9/11 - Muslim Victims of the 9/11 Terrorist Attack

It is unfortunate that such an overwhelming majority of people responded to the poll saying they would not date someone who happens to be a Muslim.

I strongly suggest to those people that they read a book called The Muslim Next Door, an autobiography of a woman who was born on US soil to Muslim parents from Indonesia and grew up here in the USA, attending US public schools and assimilating into American culture like any other 1st generation immigrant. She also talks about Islam and how similar it is to Christianity. For example, the Muslims read the creation myth in Genesis, they see Jesus as a prophet (though a lower prophet than Mohammed peace be upon him), they see Arabs as being descended from Abraham (specifically his son Ishmael), and they believe in the same angels mentioned in the Judeo-Christian Bible, including Gabriel.

Notice, in the picture, she is not wearing a hijab. It turns out that not every Muslim believes they have to wear a hijab, especially here in the Western World. Wearing a hijab is the female Muslim equivalent of wearing a cross; doing so doesn't mean you're an extremist, and not doing so doesn't mean you're not a Muslim.

The Muslim Next Door: The Qur'an, the Media, and That Veil Thing: Sumbul Ali-Karamali: 9780974524566: Amazon.com: Books

Indonesia is majority Muslim, but they are liberal, mostly secular Muslims, like the Muslims in the USA. The reason for that is Indonesia is an island, so they are exposed to other cultures quite frequently as ships come in. I have two internet pen pals who are Muslim women, and they are very different. The one from Indonesia is the Muslim equivalent of a "Christmas and Easter Christian", like the author of the book I linked above, and the one from Pakistan is much more religious.

So, as you see, Americans who happen to be Muslims are no different from Americans who happen to be Christians.

Old 03-21-2014, 12:23 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,316,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
You dated "a la care Muslims"..... the true Muslims are the roll the carpet out 5 times a day and face mecca types...... also the Sharia law followers... those guys are real treats......
If you read the OP, the question pertained to "liberal" Muslims. I answered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships