Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 11:52 AM

4,038 posts, read 4,860,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankapotomus View Post
Well, wait a second...don't Buddhist monks choose celibacy and seek out enlightenment by living alone for long stretches of time. Buddhist monks are often pretty wise...are you saying it's not working for them either? By all accounts, they choose that life because it increases their contentment. Maybe there is something to being alone.
I know people who've worked in Buddhist monasteries teaching English. All that stuff people believe about Buddhist monks is pretty much bunk, man. They're not wise, and they're not content. Monasteries can be real hell-holes full of child sexual abuse (they take in little kids, you know. Who live next to all those supposedly celibate adults, get my drift?), monks jockeying for power, trying to ingratiate themselves to the high-status monks so they can move up in the ranks, desperate to put each other down to boost themselves up and improve their life in the hell-hole by getting better work assignments, monks getting into fights (seriously), it's a mess.

No. It's not working for them. Look up a Tibetan dude named Kalu Rinpoche. He's got a UTube vid up and some newspaper interviews where he talks about being raped as a kid in the monastery, and having to fight off a murder attempt. In Sri Lanka, they outlawed monasteries taking in kids because of the abuse. But I don't think the law stuck, I'm not sure. It's a zoo, man. Don't believe the fairy tales.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2014, 11:59 AM

2,765 posts, read 2,791,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiePoster View Post
I know people who've worked in Buddhist monasteries teaching English. All that stuff people believe about Buddhist monks is pretty much bunk, man. They're not wise, and they're not content. Monasteries can be real hell-holes full of child sexual abuse (they take in little kids, you know. Who live next to all those supposedly celibate adults, get my drift?), monks jockeying for power, trying to ingratiate themselves to the high-status monks so they can move up in the ranks, desperate to put each other down to boost themselves up and improve their life in the hell-hole by getting better work assignments, monks getting into fights (seriously), it's a mess.

No. It's not working for them. Look up a Tibetan dude named Kalu Rinpoche. He's got a UTube vid up and some newspaper interviews where he talks about being raped as a kid in the monastery, and having to fight off a murder attempt. In Sri Lanka, they outlawed monasteries taking in kids because of the abuse. But I don't think the law stuck, I'm not sure. It's a zoo, man. Don't believe the fairy tales.
Okay, I'll take your description of corruption at face value. But that still doesn't change the fact that a Buddhist monk's life, including the celibacy and isolation that goes with it, when done right, is a way of tapping into contentment.

None of the major or minor religions and philosophies counsel dating or finding a partner as a way to tap into inner fulfillment. If it worked, one of them would. That all is considered beside the point and unnecessary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships