Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 04:58 PM

1,921 posts, read 1,740,642 times

Advertisements

*This question is just for research purposes. I'd like to know if fame and money can change someone's perception of someone else.*

Say you dated someone for a couple of weeks/months and then you decided they're a no-go. You finish them. A couple of years later, they become well-known (hotter, funnier, more confident than before). How would you react?

Would it change your perspective?
Would you sell stories to some papers?
Would you try to get in touch with ulterior motives?
Would you brag to your friends about the fact that you dated them?
Would you just ignore them?

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2014, 05:01 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,428,441 times
I wouldn't do anything because she's probably got the same issues she had before. Except now she has money, power, and an ego.

Old 03-23-2014, 05:04 PM

4,523 posts, read 3,406,471 times
I guess I'd tell my friends and family how I had dated her in the past, but I wouldn't try to re-connect with that person now. I had decided they were a no-go for a reason, and for me to date that person again would get her thinking that I just want to be with her now cause she's famous.

Old 03-23-2014, 05:04 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
A guy I dated in high school became a famous novelist.

Even his fame and fortune can't overcome the fact that we had almost no chemistry. I have never done any of the things you mentioned in the OP because in my mind he's still the kid I knew back then. Even though I know he's well known, he's a person, not a payoff opportunity.

Old 03-23-2014, 05:07 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
I wouldn't do anything because she's probably got the same issues she had before. Except now she has money, power, and an ego.
So much wisdom in such a small post. If I dropped them for a reason, that reason would still hold, and they'd still be history to me. My negative experience with them would still be in my memory, so I wouldn't brag that I'd known them, nor would I want to remember the time spent together. I would have moved on in my life.

Old 03-23-2014, 05:09 PM

2,319 posts, read 3,051,605 times
I'd do nothing.

Old 03-23-2014, 05:14 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,611,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostinPhilly View Post
*This question is just for research purposes. I'd like to know if fame and money can change someone's perception of someone else.*

Say you dated someone for a couple of weeks/months and then you decided they're a no-go. You finish them. A couple of years later, they become well-known (hotter, funnier, more confident than before). How would you react?

Thank you
I'd say "Damn, guess I messed up!" I'd probably then try to friend them on Facebook or something. I don't think I'd try to sell any stories to the press unless I hated them or really needed the cash.

I did go on two dates with a rather homely music student about 10 years ago. He seemed very sweet and romantic but I just wasn't feeling it. I happened to look him up recently and found his website. He's much better looking now and is the conductor of a symphony orchestra. Did I mess up? Probably.

Old 03-23-2014, 05:15 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,724,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostinPhilly View Post
My answers are based on the qualifiers you placed about only briefly dating. If I was in a LTR or marriage with this woman, some of my answers would be slightly different.

Quote:
I mean, they're still the same person, just famous. Doesn't change the fact that we weren't right for each other. Of course, there's this carnal part of me that sort of believes I might think about what could've been. Overall, it wouldn't change anything.

Quote:
Absolutely not. To me, that's tacky. My close friends would know, but that's it.

The only way I would ever speak to the media would be if I got express permission from her or her team-- even then, it wouldn't be to magazines. More like if they did a biography on her or something.

Quote:
Again, no.

Quote:
No, it would be "private trivia." Yes, my close friends would know, but it wouldn't be in a bragging sense.

Quote:
Basically.

Old 03-23-2014, 05:22 PM

330 posts, read 545,105 times
I'd be pissed.
I'd probably tell myself that I was the main source of motivation for them.

Old 03-23-2014, 05:35 PM

586 posts, read 831,099 times
I did...

Would it change your perspective? On what?
Would you sell stories to some papers? Most certainly not.
Would you try to get in touch with ulterior motives? No, but I have met her several times over the years, we get along quite well. My wife likes her too.
Would you brag to your friends about the fact that you dated them? They know.
Would you just ignore them? That would have been very difficult at one point, easier now though but I see no need. We don't exactly move in the same circles.

We dated for about 18 months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships