Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 10:15 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,165,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry_Sellers View Post
Only part one, quitting and finding other things to do is the only part of that program that I follow. I don't date at all. I had to turn down a cute woman last week, I felt bad about it, she seemed crushed.

So, since my desire is to not date, I guess it's working out pretty well, thank you!
And one of those "other things to do" is to post on a relationship forum? Uh huh.

Old 03-28-2014, 10:18 AM

Quote:
I'm not really much for "movements" but I guess if you were going to put me in a box, I'd say yes.

I've more "gone Galt" than anything, in that I try to give as little to society and government as I can, and live as self-sufficiently as I can without buying mass-produced goods or paying any taxes to our corrupt government.
And yet, Galt went after love.

Old 03-28-2014, 10:18 AM

26 posts, read 25,802 times
Quote:
I'm not really much for "movements" but I guess if you were going to put me in a box, I'd say yes.

I've more "gone Galt" than anything, in that I try to give as little to society and government as I can, and live as self-sufficiently as I can without buying mass-produced goods or paying any taxes to our corrupt government.
I like it.

Good deal, my man.

You could add in there to "Enjoy the Decline" ....

Old 03-28-2014, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Why yes! It is one of my guilty pleasures!

The younger guys who really struggle can benefit from taking my advice, and I'll give it to as many as I can.
By telling them to completely give up on love and relationships? That may work for you but many people find true happiness in love - telling them that they should completely avoid that isn't really helping them.
Quote:
Welp, I guess I'm skipping that part of the story, then.

I'm living quite nicely otherwise.
That's a pretty big part of the story to skip.

Old 03-28-2014, 11:23 AM

26 posts, read 25,802 times
A distinction that should be made is are you seeking to compete in the sexual market or the marriage market?

Those are definitely two different markets there.

Old 03-28-2014, 11:26 AM

Quote:
"Giving up" is not really the correct term, and I realize I used it first. "Opting out" is really a better way to put it.

And yes, I think men as a gender would benefit by forgoing relationships with women. If men did it en masse (which will never happen), the imbalances would sort themselves out very quickly.

Maybe that's a big part of the story to you, and more power to you, but not for me. A person can "go Galt" without begging for women's approval like an idiot, as most men do.
The male gender is not going to forgo relationships with women since most men are capable of very good relationships with women. Why would men give up love and happiness? It doesn't make sense. The ones who are bad at relationships and not good at interacting with women can take themselves out of the relationship arena and it probably benefits everyone.

Did you read Atlas Shrugged? The "love" part does not entail begging for a woman's approval like an idiot. And most men don't do that anyway.

Old 03-28-2014, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Not give up, 'opt out.' Lots are doing it. And most of the men who do are also capable of good relationships, but find that the ladies they encounter are not.

Yes, I have read Atlas Shrugged, and I never implied that is what he did. That is in fact what most men do, though.
Well, I would say that the majority of men that I know are capable of good relationships and have also chosen women that are capable of good relationships. Most of the people I know are in good relationships now. Many of them have been in bad relationships before - and they didn't blame the entire gender for one bad apple.

If you want to opt out, that's fine. I think it's sad but it's your life.

Old 03-28-2014, 11:42 AM

2,084 posts, read 2,621,941 times
Quote:
The younger guys who really struggle can benefit from taking my advice, and I'll give it to as many as I can.
Just because you have bad experiences with women and choose not to date doesn't mean that is the ideal way to live or that it makes good advice.

Old 03-28-2014, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Fair enough.

But may I ask, what is your motivation for encouraging all the poor saps on this board who obviously struggle to keep dashing themselves on the rocks? What's in it for you?

And, not to be rude, but you're a married 40ish (?) woman who undoubtedly runs with a pack of other married couples, what insight can you possibly have into the plight of these guys, or anything else about what they're up against in dating, in general?
Honestly, I wouldn't even say that I encourage all the poor saps. I think many of them are better off taking themselves out of the dating pool - at least for awhile. Men who hate women really have no business dating them - just as women who hate men have no business dating men.

I'm not 40 - please don't age me. I'm not ready for that yet! Most of my friends are married but I have single friends as well. One of my closest friends is single - I actually spend more time with her than anyone else. She's in her early 30's. And most of my guy friends are either married or in relationships. One of them is getting a divorce but looking to start dating again.

As to what's in it for me… Hmmm… I find this board entertaining. I don't kid myself that I'm going to change someone's whole life and lead them to find love and happiness - but it would be nice!

Sometimes people need a hug, sometimes people need a shoulder to cry on, sometimes people need some encouragement, and sometimes people need a kick in the butt. I do the best I can to provide what is necessary! Oh - and I'm probably not always right about what someone needs but I don't really think that's possible anyway. My husband prefers the kick in the butt method - and that's often NOT what I am looking for!

Old 03-29-2014, 10:28 AM

306 posts, read 299,486 times
Quote:
Well, I agree with you but would take it a bit further. I think MOST men would benefit from taking themselves out of the dating pool - for good.
You know i hate when men have no success with dating and they think you should keep on trucking. When women actually face rejection they can give men advice and no if you stand around waiting to be approached by men thats not rejection you have to ask someone out to be rejected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships