Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 12:25 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,803,843 times

Advertisements

I am not much into sports... although I like watching football with my friends (I like it as a social thing--I won't watch it by myself, but love to watch it with friends). But I am a gamer... I was the second from the top healer on my server and in a raiding guild (with all but one server first) back when I played. I stopped playing when my guild fell apart (although they are talking of reforming for a new game). I am far from the only woman in my guild--although we were outnumbered by the guys. I don't raid so much anymore due to lack of time--I've gotten more involved with scuba diving lately.

I don't care who associates with whom... But I can't stand misleading info. The idea that women don't game is ridiculous. Nearly have of gamers are women, but it does drop off in adulthood. Then we are only 31% of gamers. But that's from from "none" or even "hardly any."
Nearly half of all video-gamers are women - CNN.com

Quote:
According to the "2013 Essential Facts About the Computer and Video Game Industry" report, produced by the Entertainment Software Association, 45% of all game players, and 46% of the most frequent purchasers of games, are female. Adult women make up 31% of the game-playing population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2014, 12:28 PM

2,802 posts, read 6,429,588 times
Great point regarding their lack of relation with women in general. In order to be "sucessful" with women it really helps if you actually like them. Most of the people described here feel a mixture of fear, resentment and indifference towards them. Like it's been said here, women might as well be aliens to them. They don' really like women, they just crave them because they see them as a social validator.

Old 03-28-2014, 12:30 PM

2,802 posts, read 6,429,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
I was the second from the top healer on my server and in a raiding guild (with all but one server first) back when I played.
Is that English?

What's with that "guild" anyway? Are you a medieval weaver?

Old 03-28-2014, 12:32 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,347,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artifice32 View Post
I can't put my finger on this idea so I thought I would just throw it out there. When I read posts from guys who have a tough time in the dating arena there is a consistent pattern of an inability for both men and women in the real world to relate to them.

For example, maybe their whole world revolves around online message boards or things like Reddit. Maybe they play video games on their free time. Maybe they watch Japanese cartoons all the time. Maybe they read comic books or fantasy novels or science fantasy novels. Activities which the vast majority of people cannot relate to in the real world.

Is this a correct observation? Would the solution be to become more relate-able? What say you?
Perhaps... You could be onto something.

A large part of relationships lies in making connection. If you can get people to feel connected to you, you'll have an easier time with them.

Old 03-28-2014, 12:35 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,814,491 times
Quote:
I can't put my finger on this idea so I thought I would just throw it out there. When I read posts from guys who have a tough time in the dating arena there is a consistent pattern of an inability for both men and women in the real world to relate to them.

For example, maybe their whole world revolves around online message boards or things like Reddit. Maybe they play video games on their free time. Maybe they watch Japanese cartoons all the time. Maybe they read comic books or fantasy novels or science fantasy novels. Activities which the vast majority of people cannot relate to in the real world.

Is this a correct observation? Would the solution be to become more relate-able? What say you?
This is interesting but I think relate-ability is only half of the component you are trying to assess, only because someone can be very unique in terms of activities and still have a great appeal to women. For such a person, trying to be just like everybody else might not be an efficient strategy.

But for the people who are unique in terms of activities and have a tough time with women, I feel like relate-ability can be factored as an explanation, but something is missing. I'm not sure what.

Old 03-28-2014, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Stranger View Post
Is that English?

What's with that "guild" anyway? Are you a medieval weaver?
LOL... it's gaming jargon for the most part. It's also really hard to explain without a lot of writing. But to answer your question on guilds, in MMOs you form "guilds" of players and you usually work together as a group to complete the content (story) of the game. Being in a guild makes completing difficult content easier because the more you work together as a team, the more you know each other's strengths and weaknesses. Essentially it's a "team" of players who work together to solve the problems the game sets forth.

Old 03-28-2014, 01:09 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
Orphaned post.

I'm cool with that. I am judging. You're unhealthy mechanism exists however: you're claiming women don't like sports, video games, traveling and that gives you your justification why you don't want to associate them. Yet, none of those are true and we all know it.

If you just said you didn't like women and owned that, it would be one thing... fine, you don't like them as a gender. But putting the blame and (wrongly) assigning attributes to women, and making it be their fault ("they're not into what I'm into") is an unhealthy defense mechanism. There is no other way to describe it.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 03-30-2014 at 05:54 PM..

Old 03-28-2014, 01:13 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,305,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I'm cool with that. I am judging. You're unhealthy mechanism exists however: you're claiming women don't like sports, video games, traveling and that gives you your justification why you don't want to associate them. Yet, none of those are true and we all know it.

If you just said you didn't like women and owned that, it would be one thing... fine, you don't like them as a gender. But putting the blame and (wrongly) assigning attributes to women, and making it be their fault ("they're not into what I'm into") is an unhealthy defense mechanism. There is no other way to describe it.
You live your life the way you want and I will live my life the way I want. Sound fair?

Old 03-28-2014, 01:21 PM

Quote:

While what you say has some truth to it, I think that some (not all, but some) of the men who have a lot of problems in the dating arena have a problem relating to others more than others not being able to relate to them. Maybe women specifically but also to other men. The only solution (if they want to improve this skill of relating) would be to get out and socialize more with many different types of people.

Old 03-28-2014, 01:45 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
LOL at there not being tons of women into sports. You can't go to a game, or a sports bar, without women being a significant percentage of them, and many, if not most, aren't their with their spouses or boyfriends. At least everywhere I've lived. It must have been close to 50/50 male/female last night at the alumni association event I went to for the sweet 16, any given NHL or NFL game at a bar will have a significant percentage of women there.

(If you're in the Bay Area though, that may be your problem. I lived in SF awhile (Inner Richmond) and people just really aren't into watching sports there. I was living there when the Giants won the WS, and not much of the city seemed to care until the actual world series... in places I've lived like Chicago or Boston, people would be there from day one watching... maybe because the weather is too nice? I don't know, but it struck me as odd).
My mom knows as much about sports as I do, and I follow hockey and football closely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships