Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 01:27 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,713,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
That's what I want to know lol. Name any woman who likes video games or sports. From what I have seen none of them do.
You cannot be serious. I raised 2 daughters, no sons, and have no less than 12 video game systems in this house, and probably 100 games. I gave up trying to keep tabs of it all in about 2003. It was too maddening.

You have no idea what you are talking about. You simply do not know very many young women. Maybe none.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2014, 01:45 AM

3,467 posts, read 8,141,236 times
I think the OP has a good point. But it doesn't have to be about common interests do much as making an effort to understand other people. If you have an elitist attitude or show no interest in others so as to invalidate them, then of course you will not connect.

The basic component here is empathy. Being able to intellectually grasp how someone else feels and their experience without having necessarily gone through it yourself. This is important for opposite gender relations in order to view the other as a fellow human with the same basic human needs and desires, instead of as an "alien" to be feared, mistrusted and combatted.

Old 03-29-2014, 01:47 AM

4,525 posts, read 3,403,693 times
I know quite a few women that like video games and sports. You are simply wrong in this regard, 49ersfan.

Old 03-29-2014, 01:48 AM

3,467 posts, read 8,141,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I think its perfectly understandable. The guy world is often much different from the girl world. Guys are into sports, computer games, technology, building etc. Guy stuff. They are not into shopping for clothes, makeup, hair, the latest TV reality show. Its a very large gulf. Many guys might have very little contact with women other than their mother or sisters. They often work with all or mostly men. Their leisure activities are guy stuff. Not only that, they might find very little of interest in conversation with women because women know nothing about their world, and vice versa.
Did you just step off a time machine from the 1950s?

Old 03-29-2014, 03:14 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
My thing is this, no matter how much money a man makes, or how smart and intelligent a man is with degrees, if a woman finds a man socially inept or awkward most likely it will be a no go unless if they guy is really, really good looking. Women are emotional beings and if a woman can not relate with a guy who shows no empathy or compassion, than you can forget about any chance of a woman being with a socially awkward man. I know of a guy who is an staunch atheist and had deep trouble with women going forward with him. He hid his atheism when dating women which improved chances of him getting sex and more female interaction. A good friend of mines has nothing, no education, no job and he pulls women left and right, thanks to the fact he knows fashion styles, spiritual and other stuff that women can relate with him on a one on one level. It all boils down to empathy.

Old 03-29-2014, 08:13 AM

2,793 posts, read 4,068,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
My thing is this, no matter how much money a man makes, or how smart and intelligent a man is with degrees, if a woman finds a man socially inept or awkward most likely it will be a no go unless if they guy is really, really good looking. Women are emotional beings and if a woman can not relate with a guy who shows no empathy or compassion, than you can forget about any chance of a woman being with a socially awkward man. I know of a guy who is an staunch atheist and had deep trouble with women going forward with him. He hid his atheism when dating women which improved chances of him getting sex and more female interaction. A good friend of mines has nothing, no education, no job and he pulls women left and right, thanks to the fact he knows fashion styles, spiritual and other stuff that women can relate with him on a one on one level. It all boils down to empathy.
Empathy or at least curiosity and interest in someone's opinion has nothing to do with your examples (beliefs and interests). I'm not sure what atheism/spirituality or fashion have anything to do with relating to women or people. I have no problem relating to people when I want to, even if we have nothing in common or even very different viewpoints and interests.

Old 03-29-2014, 08:59 AM

3,009 posts, read 3,641,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
Empathy or at least curiosity and interest in someone's opinion has nothing to do with your examples (beliefs and interests). I'm not sure what atheism/spirituality or fashion have anything to do with relating to women or people. I have no problem relating to people when I want to, even if we have nothing in common or even very different viewpoints and interests.
Me too it is not hard to relate to people I is easy for me.

Old 03-29-2014, 09:00 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
Its just that women did not find him interesting and could not relate with him on one on one. Even if women got to know him they would be turned off due to a disconnect. Again this is part of my observation. Also guys need to stop being less introverted. Women in general like very social extroverted men.

Old 03-29-2014, 09:11 AM

3,009 posts, read 3,641,272 times
Quote:
Its just that women did not find him interesting and could not relate with him on one on one. Even if women got to know him they would be turned off due to a disconnect. Again this is part of my observation. Also guys need to stop being less introverted. Women in general like very social extroverted men.
Have you ever noticed people that talk all the time never say anything ?

I am more of an introvert but I do talk to people and can hold a conversation just fine.

I am a great listener and recall what people are saying to me. Next I just like to take every thing in so a have great attention to detail. My memory is very good I can remember all most everything people tell me.

Woman complain all the time how men do not listen try dating s guy that does not talk more than you.

Old 03-29-2014, 09:22 AM

13,641 posts, read 9,698,765 times
Quote:
This is true, but what subsequent posters are pointing out is that Bronxguyanese' acquaintance's failure isn't his atheism or his lack of interest in subjects of interest to women, but his personality traits. If he lacks warmth and effusiveness, if he is either dour and melancholy or outright wooden, if he regards existence as some noxious fight against raising entropy until finally rescued by death, then he will have ill luck with women and men alike. His male friends will only be "friends" in the sense of compatriots pursuing the same avocations, or colleagues at work who respect his skills and dependability. But they won't be friend-friends, friends who actively seek his company for social reasons. With women, it will be even more difficult, because women would find his personality to be "creepy"… and as Bronxguyanese says, no amount of money, material accouterments, degrees, career-success and so forth, would help the fellow in question. And indeed if he is fortunate to be physically very attractive, women will initially take interest in him, but once they become further acquainted with him, the same ill fortune will befall him.

It is also important to note that the person in question may have curiosity in other people's hobbies and interests, he may inquire about their progress and give them space for their pursuits. But if he regards people ultimately as Cartesian machines and the world around him as feverish projection of his own fancies, well than, that will be so repulsive that no amount of his active willingness to learn about their interests would matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships