Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 10:19 AM

867 posts, read 909,211 times

Advertisements

I can't put my finger on this idea so I thought I would just throw it out there. When I read posts from guys who have a tough time in the dating arena there is a consistent pattern of an inability for both men and women in the real world to relate to them.

For example, maybe their whole world revolves around online message boards or things like Reddit. Maybe they play video games on their free time. Maybe they watch Japanese cartoons all the time. Maybe they read comic books or fantasy novels or science fantasy novels. Activities which the vast majority of people cannot relate to in the real world.

Is this a correct observation? Would the solution be to become more relate-able? What say you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2014, 10:21 AM

26 posts, read 25,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artifice32 View Post
I can't put my finger on this idea so I thought I would just throw it out there. When I read posts from guys who have a tough time in the dating arena there is a consistent pattern of an inability for both men and women in the real world to relate to them.

For example, maybe their whole world revolves around online message boards or things like Reddit. Maybe they play video games on their free time. Maybe they watch Japanese cartoons all the time. Maybe they read comic books or fantasy novels or science fantasy novels. Activities which the vast majority of people cannot relate to in the real world.

Is this a correct observation? Would the solution be to become more relate-able? What say you?

They lack right knowledge, IMHO.

Old 03-28-2014, 10:23 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,683,123 times
maybe those people you describe have some aspie traits. attraction to the activities mentioned are often aspie traits.

Old 03-28-2014, 10:55 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,957,550 times
The one thing I've seen with these people is that they tend not to have female platonic friends and never have. They just aren't comfortable hanging /talking to the other sex.

Old 03-28-2014, 11:06 AM

11,795 posts, read 12,030,796 times
That could be part of it. Another component is with guys who are gathering dating advice from garbage and blogs on the internet and living in fear of other people's bad experiences instead of going out there and creating their own.

I also blame poor parenting for lack of social skills. How does one get to the point of being completely paralyzed and unable to make conversation with others, and/or viewing women as an alien species?

Old 03-28-2014, 11:09 AM

9,131 posts, read 20,009,690 times
I am not sure I would equate them with enjoying those past times per se as there are guys who do, and don't have women in their lives who do those kinds of things. Maybe it is noticable that guys who are not spending time on relationships more frequently partake in those (and other) kinds of entertainment which tends to be enjoyable to guys, but that is because they are going to be doing something they like or want, like anyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
The one thing I've seen with these people is that they tend not to have female platonic friends and never have. They just aren't comfortable hanging /talking to the other sex.
I believe this to be a better analysis. My personal observation is that it tends to be guys on the extreme end of being an introvert, to the point of having a social anxiety.

Old 03-28-2014, 11:12 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,305,593 times
Quote:
This describes me. Except I do not want any female friends.

Old 03-28-2014, 11:17 AM

Why would you not want friends of both genders?

I guess I just don't get it. I understand not meeting them casually out and about, I mean, almost all my hobbies are solo or male dominated arenas, but I've always had a lot of female friends.

Old 03-28-2014, 11:21 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,305,593 times
Quote:
Why would you not want friends of both genders?

I guess I just don't get it. I understand not meeting them casually out and about, I mean, almost all my hobbies are solo or male dominated arenas, but I've always had a lot of female friends.
All of my friends are male. I just prefer it that way.

Old 03-28-2014, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
All of my friends are male. I just prefer it that way.

That's fine, I guess, but why do you prefer it that way?

This is exactly what I was referring to in people that don't relate / have problems with relationships with women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships