Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2014, 11:19 AM

1,450 posts, read 1,898,714 times

Advertisements

Wow, this an odd thread. No my husband has made jokes about this particular matter or weird comments despite the fact he can have a weird sense of humor.

I think for anyone a trip to the doctor can be anxiety producing. Why would someone layer odd comments about about arousal on to the situation and make it worse.

For me the pap smear part always hurts even though they say it is just discomfort.

As for the commenter who says part of the real world is making inappropriate comments...there is a time and a place.

Old 03-31-2014, 11:24 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,902,469 times
There's also a difference between making grown-up jokes about a GYN exam, and making sexualized immature jokes about it. I joke all the time:

Me to the nurse-practitioner while naked in nothing but socks and the gown: "What? I can't I leave my shoes on? I picked these specifically to match the gown."

Me to the nurse-practitioner, while on the table (different visit): "Hey, you might get more women signing up for that "women's wellness" group if you put the posters up there on the ceiling. We'd have no choice but to read them. And it would cover up that water spot on the ceiling tile.

Lady who had to call me about getting additional tests for an abnormal mammogram: "I'm sorry if this is alarming you at all." Me: Nope, I'm used to people wanting to get a second look at my impressive rack.

Me to boyfriend after GYN visit (ignoring his immature perverted jokes): "Yeah, it's a little different since Obamacare; they only let me use one stirrup, and they kept asking me about any firearms I keep in the house, and what charitable organizations I've donated to."

Old 03-31-2014, 11:26 AM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,070,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
The jokes themselves are annoying and not amusing at all. There is nothing amusing about a medical exam, and nothing amusing about his jokes.
You need to qualify that with "there is nothing amusing to me...". There can be amusing aspects to pretty much any activity. People make jokes when they're 300 feet underwater and a significant amount of water is leaking into the submarine through the periscope (which is a serious, life and death situation). I know because I've done it and it was senior officers making the jokes, including the Captain, who held the rank of Commander in the US Navy.

Some would be uncomfortable with making jokes in a situation in which everyone in the situation could all die, others would not. It doesn't make one immature if they are comfortable with making jokes in such a situation. Nor does it make one immature to see an erotic aspect to situations in which others do not see any such aspect.

Quote:
But the fact that a 45 year on man in general, does this, is funny to me.
Why? He can't have sexual feelings toward his SO anymore when he's 45? I'm 36, am I allowed to have sexual feelings toward my SO if I had one? I didn't get this memo, TracySam. But I'll take it under advisement. He says sarcastically.

Old 03-31-2014, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
There's also a difference between making grown-up jokes about a GYN exam, and making sexualized immature jokes about it. I joke all the time:
So how are your jokes mature, but his not mature? Not everyone would agree that him seeing an erotic aspect to the situation makes him immature. Either something is a lighthearted comment or it isn't, right? Wouldn't it also make you immature to make any kind of joke in a clinical situation?

Old 03-31-2014, 11:30 AM

8,779 posts, read 9,454,139 times
Lol Jesus...you guys are really trying to read in to this aren't you?

It's not THAT complicated.

It's all relative to the situation and the people involved.

If the person receiving the exam is bothered by the jokes and you keep making them in spite of the fact....yes you are an immature idiot.

Not becuase of the subject matter, but because of your lack of thought towards the other person and their feelings on the subject.

Last edited by rego00123; 03-31-2014 at 11:41 AM.. Reason: Auto correct nightmare

Old 03-31-2014, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larkspur123 View Post
As for the commenter who says part of the real world is making inappropriate comments...there is a time and a place.
I think most would agree that Katie Couric is a mature woman, and she was reported from war zones, so she knows something of the real world. She made lighthearted comments and had a lighthearted attitude toward her colonoscopy. I guess that makes her immature.

Old 03-31-2014, 11:36 AM

1,450 posts, read 1,898,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
I think most would agree that Katie Couric is a mature woman, and she was reported from war zones, so she knows something of the real world. She made lighthearted comments and had a lighthearted attitude toward her colonoscopy. I guess that makes her immature.
She was talking about HER colonoscopy though.

I think it is another thing to joke about what someone else's experience might be. When I was younger I DREADED gyn exams. I had my first one very young because of problems with my periods. While most of the dread has gone away, I'd be careful to assume that they are jokeworthy experiences for others.

Old 03-31-2014, 11:37 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,902,469 times
If you can't see how perverted jokes about a GYN exam are different from other "lighthearted" jokes, then that's an issue about you personally, that you can choose to examine or not.

HUGE difference between me joking about putting health posters on the ceiling and him joking about the nurse losing her rings inside a patient or about me getting turned on by an old lady touching me for a medical exam. If you can't see the difference, man, I can't help you.

Old 03-31-2014, 11:37 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
If my husband were the sort to make preteen-level dick-and-crotch jokes and belly laugh over them like they were super clever, I wouldn't be hurt, I'd be wondering how I wound up in some alternate universe where I married a cretin. Unsophisticated "wit" isn't really my thing. School bus humor is pretty unflattering in a 41-year old.

Old 03-31-2014, 11:39 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post

There is a GIGANTIC difference between being self defacing / humorous and making light of another person's situation.

Seriously. I can't believe that post is real.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships