Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 12:37 AM

4,463 posts, read 6,228,051 times

Advertisements

If you are willing to accept the league you are truly in then it can be good enough to find a long term partner. IF you think you can get a hottie just because she is on there and your not a hottie it will not be pleasant.

OLD will very quickly tell you what league you are in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2014, 12:38 AM

4,463 posts, read 6,228,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
hehe Did, but once I put I was looking for Navy seals, emails magically stopped. hehehe but I did get couple firefighters and police officers and asked me if that counts. LOL No, it didn't count, I was looking for special force military guys, those are my real fantasy.

=) It happened long time ago though. :P
Do fighter pilots count?

Old 03-31-2014, 12:40 AM

8,781 posts, read 9,450,158 times
I've never done it and I would honestly never bother if I was in the position to be dating.
I prefer to see people I know well or have gotten to know well enough to have a good idea about who they are as a person and let any romantic feelings manifest naturally.

Online dating seems like the assembly line of finding a partner with one huge fault in the system...people often do not actually know how to describe themselves and project who they think people will want to date.

I don't doubt it can work, I just doubt the success rate vs my time investment. It's something i can just find naturally in life as I live it.

I guess I'm one of those people who just does to see much value in it for what I need to be interested in someone in the first place.

Last edited by rego00123; 03-31-2014 at 12:54 AM..

Old 03-31-2014, 01:27 AM

39,222 posts, read 27,592,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlife2 View Post
Do fighter pilots count?
Oh stop it already! Like I haven't embarrassed myself enough!

I remembered that I did meet a guy who said that he had some SEAL training and was a boarding officer, also a strike warfare officer, and navigator of a Burke-Class destroyer, among other assignments in the Navy. Had Marine, flight, surface, etc. training at the academy. He told me I should go to the training facility in Coronado. No Thank you, I was not that crazy about Seals. My brother has been to Coronado, thinking about that place makes me nervous. A number of his (this guy online) friends were still active duty, including several SEALs and some in Force Recon. So it was kind of cool. The reason I wanted to meet a Seals is because I wanted to know why did they get so much attention. Obviously, both Seals and Recons are hardcore. Just different tasks and purposes. Even before Recon, we have para-military forces, operatives, etc. who often lay groundwork in-country an operate entirely in the shadows. Even more broadly than Seals, Delta, or Force Recon... they are all part of a unified mission and equally critical to the task at hand.. My brother taught me all of that already. Now looking back, I felt stupid, incredibly stupid.

I told my brother about my experience and he thought I was crazy. He said true Seals and Recons will never go to the message board bragging about themselves. His employee didn't even know he was in the Marine Corps. True Recons will never dress up in Cammis in civilian world like everyday is black hawk down. lol They are very low key. My brother also told me that those who have done combat tours in the Middle East, perhaps received recognition for it but a lot of the planning and logistics that allow us to "do what we do" are done by people far away from the battlefield - who receive zero recognition. So it is truly a team efforts. I shouldn't be thinking there is an elite force, that is wrong and I only embarrass myself.

I did look for a seals on dating site once, years ago and I would never do it again. How stupid of me. Plus, all my exes are beautiful great men and none of them were in the armed forces.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 03-31-2014 at 02:20 AM..

Old 03-31-2014, 02:26 AM

639 posts, read 678,618 times
Sometimes its cool but sometime nope...

Old 03-31-2014, 07:21 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,388,075 times
Quote:

I remembered that I did meet a guy who said that he had some SEAL training and was a boarding officer, also a strike warfare officer, and navigator of a Burke-Class destroyer, among other assignments in the Navy. Had Marine, flight, surface, etc. training at the academy. He told me I should go to the training facility in Coronado. No Thank you, I was not that crazy about Seals. My brother has been to Coronado, thinking about that place makes me nervous. A number of his (this guy online) friends were still active duty, including several SEALs and some in Force Recon. So it was kind of cool. The reason I wanted to meet a Seals is because I wanted to know why did they get so much attention. Obviously, both Seals and Recons are hardcore. Just different tasks and purposes. Even before Recon, we have para-military forces, operatives, etc. who often lay groundwork in-country an operate entirely in the shadows. Even more broadly than Seals, Delta, or Force Recon... they are all part of a unified mission and equally critical to the task at hand.. My brother taught me all of that already. Now looking back, I felt stupid, incredibly stupid.

I told my brother about my experience and he thought I was crazy. He said true Seals and Recons will never go to the message board bragging about themselves. His employee didn't even know he was in the Marine Corps. True Recons will never dress up in Cammis in civilian world like everyday is black hawk down. lol They are very low key. My brother also told me that those who have done combat tours in the Middle East, perhaps received recognition for it but a lot of the planning and logistics that allow us to "do what we do" are done by people far away from the battlefield - who receive zero recognition. So it is truly a team efforts. I shouldn't be thinking there is an elite force, that is wrong and I only embarrass myself.

I did look for a seals on dating site once, years ago and I would never do it again. How stupid of me. Plus, all my exes are beautiful great men and none of them were in the armed forces.
That's so funny because I didn't set out to date military guys, but 2 of my 3 serious relationships were in the military. One was a real tough guy but seriously a jerk, and I was the only person he was nice to. The other was a nice guy and Smarter than anyone else I knew, and he dumped me after becoming a fighter pilot. I think military guys are like any other guys and some are great and some are not.

Old 03-31-2014, 07:38 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,727,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagirlnamedk View Post
What have your experiences been like?
well , one problem is that there's not much in the way of selection, online. It might seem that way at first, but it is deceiving.

For one, desirable women largely don't seem to bother with it. a lot of them are fat and/or crazy, with photos that obscure how they look, and profiles that aren't a good indication of how they act. No matter what anyone says, there's still a notable % of women who think it makes them a "loser" to use it, and another notable % of women who just aren't comfortable with the process of it.

now there are definitely some desirable women who go online, just not nearly as many as you'd find in a typical bar. personally i have more success approaching total strangers in public, when you can see them face-to-face and talk. At least you don't waste time meeting these women who are 100lbs heavier than they look in their pictures.

Last edited by le roi; 03-31-2014 at 07:55 AM..

Old 03-31-2014, 08:30 AM

39,222 posts, read 27,592,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
That's so funny because I didn't set out to date military guys, but 2 of my 3 serious relationships were in the military. One was a real tough guy but seriously a jerk, and I was the only person he was nice to. The other was a nice guy and Smarter than anyone else I knew, and he dumped me after becoming a fighter pilot. I think military guys are like any other guys and some are great and some are not.
Thank you for sharing your experience. Yes you are right. Military guys are definitely just like any other guys and some are great and some are not. lol This is why my brother always tells me, treat them as men first, military second. They are not real life Rambo or 007.

It was very stupid of me of going to dating site (okay, confession, plenty of fish lol) for a Seals or a Recon. I saw my brother's Recon team mate in dress blue once (all eight of them in dress blue) when I was like 13 years old. You have no idea what those image do to a teenage girl like me... For me, seeing those men in dress blue had as much energy as being hit by lighting. I also saw my sister's jaw just dropped and she looked like she was about to jump on one of the guys.

For me personally, I've known many military guys who are aholes, but I also know many of them are incredibly intelligent, loyal, driven. sigh, yes, all of them look great in uniform. So physical attraction did something to a teenage girl, I must admit.

One of the men I loved the most was never in the Armed force, he looks just as good if not better than the Recon men I have seen. Also, they say military men have good benefits, maybe things have changed a lot, but at least when my brother was serving, his pay sucked. He genuinely wanted to serve the country, and he could die and bleed for his brothers in the Marine Corps, and the brotherhood he has formed in the Marine Corps is something amazing for me to witness. I think the culture has shaped me as a person, forever.

The only problem is that when I talk about Marine Corps, many men who have never served got turned off. LOL They put up with me, but they were not interested. They don't know what I have been through. One of my best friend (a guy) was a Marine, we can talk about the corps for hours, that is why we are best friends.

I really dont know anything about fighter pilot, but I cannot stand people who dump somebody just because they got promoted. It shows character flaws, so you are definitely better off.

You are right, there are good, bad, ugly in armed force. I personally have seen them all.

Cheers and take care.

Old 03-31-2014, 08:39 AM

543 posts, read 534,102 times
Quote:

Perhaps you should start a thread about dating military folks instead of continuing this massive derail.

Old 03-31-2014, 08:40 AM

543 posts, read 534,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAinSC View Post
You're so freaking rude. No wonder you are single.
So you ascribe to the notion that the relative position of the stars based upon the perspective here on Earth somehow have an affect on a person's life because of their birthdate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships