Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 03:01 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,954,768 times

Advertisements

31 F, that was my rule. Met my husband at 17, no send till we are exclusive . Even still waited 5 months before I was sure I wanted to. Been together 14 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2014, 03:07 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,110,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie071tone View Post

Men, how would you respond to such a statement? (please state your age range in your response I.e. 20s, 30 s, etc).
40s, would a bj be out of the question then? (Seeing as many here don't think oral sex is sex).

Old 03-30-2014, 04:08 PM

5,987 posts, read 10,463,933 times
50s. What does exclusive mean, and how long does it take to establish that you are?

To me, it would mean not dating anyone else, while also having an intention to see if the relationship has long term/permanent potential (which of course is not guaranteed). The decision to be exclusive could come as early as a month after meeting, but probably not more than 3 or 4 months (if the decision can't be made by then, it is best to move on).

Old 03-30-2014, 04:58 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,827,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
mid 30 male: there's no exclusiveness without sex first.
Why?

Old 03-30-2014, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
40s, would a bj be out of the question then? (Seeing as many here don't think oral sex is sex).
Nah that's still sex.

Old 03-30-2014, 05:06 PM

288 posts, read 255,443 times
25, won't sleep with someone if they're sleeping with someone else, it's kind of mutual after spending time together

Old 03-30-2014, 07:42 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,988,106 times
Make sure he is not confusing exclusivity with commitment, unless you want both. Some people get really don't immediately understand the difference.

Old 03-30-2014, 07:49 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,110,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Nah that's still sex.
Well then you're dead to me! lol

Old 03-30-2014, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Well then you're dead to me! lol

Old 03-30-2014, 08:28 PM

3,063 posts, read 3,269,418 times
I'm pretty much like that--I won't have sex until I feel like there is exclusivity. It's not really games, or a 3 month rule, or me trying to rope a man into committing to me. But I take sex, and intimacy with another person, pretty seriously. It's not something I see as just physical, but as an emotional expression between two people as well. Because of that, I'm cautious and careful about who I choose to express that type of intimacy with. If I'm going to do it, I have to be comfortable, I have to feel secure about the status between us, I have to feel like we both can be ourselves with each other, and most importantly I need to know that we are on the same page with basically everything(regarding our relationship status). All of those components typically won't happen overnight or over the series of one or two dates. They might take some time depending on the man. So yes I have been upfront with every guy I have dated and told them that I don't have sex without exclusivity or commitment. Now what that means is going to depend on the guy and what I'm looking for. AS it stands right now I'm not looking for anything super serious. So I wouldn't necessarily need to be in a serious committed relationship before sex. HOWEVER, at the same time, I wouldn't bang a guy I just went on a few dates with, who was also dating other women. I would need to, at the very least, have known him for a good amount of time, and he and I would need to just be dating each other and no one else(not necessarily with the title of boyfriend and girlfriend) before I would even consider having sex with him. The other components I talked about: being comfortable, accepting one another, trust, etc--would be the overall factors into whether or not I would eventually do it with him once it was established that we were exclusive or in relationship, etc.

Maybe that sounds like a bit much, but it works for me. It weeds out a ton of men who didn't really want me , or think I was worth it, etc. A lot of men do tend to pull back once I make it known what my feelings are regarding sex, so unfortunately OP I do think that it isn't as common in 2014 for people to want to be exclusive before sex. But I also don't think it's extremely difficult to find a man that is willing to wait for it, if he thinks your worth it. My ex and I waited before I had sex(gave my virginity to him) and at that time we had known each other quite a while, were in a relationship and had cared about each other. That relationship lasted several years, the first few years were great, the latter not so great but the sex didn't have anything to do with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships