Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2019, 05:17 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,017,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scribbles76 View Post
False. Romantic love is complicated, painful and temporary. I would rather live a simple, solitary life and spare myself all that.
Says all the high schoolers...

Not sure why any of it has to be complicated, painful, or temporary. Temporary by nature is more in line with lust rather than love.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2019, 05:46 AM

1,713 posts, read 1,107,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
Says all the high schoolers...
I'll be 43 in September, Junior.

As the poet said, I've seen love come, I've seen it shot down, I've seen it die in pain. I've learned from plenty of other people's mistakes and it ain't gonna happen to me.

Last edited by scribbles76; 06-29-2019 at 06:25 AM..

Old 06-29-2019, 10:35 AM

1,593 posts, read 776,422 times
Seems to me that pain and suffering are inevitable and all things are temporary. Given those truths I’d rather err on the side of having something beautiful and fulfilling if I get the chance. If there’s pain and suffering either way...and the “never having loved at all” part definitely has included pain and suffering for me...then at least it would be lovely to feel it was worth something, that it had a purpose. Sort of like a beloved pet...they hurt like hell when it’s time to let them go, but I don’t regret loving them.

Old 06-29-2019, 01:02 PM

9,375 posts, read 6,977,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Famous saying. Do you think this is true or false?

When I think of this from a general standpoint, I think it's true and I would encourage anyone to go for something rather than live life with nothing.

But, when I personalize this (as it pertains to my own life and relationships) I think I was happier before I had love and sex, when I was inexperienced. Of course, I still dreamt of those things and wanted them when I was inexperienced, but I didn't really know what I was missing. I just had ideas. You don't really know what you're missing until you have it. Now that I have had it before and don't have it now, I find that I am less happy than I was when I was inexperienced due to knowing exactly what I am missing. I mean, comparatively speaking. So, in a sense, I think it was better to have never loved at all.

What are your thoughts?
The statement is true. I also equate it to my mother who died when I was 9 and my brother was 11 months old. I remember the pain of losing her but also much of the love I felt for her as well. My brother has no memories and no conception of what a mother is.

Old 06-29-2019, 01:07 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,650,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
The statement is true. I also equate it to my mother who died when I was 9 and my brother was 11 months old. I remember the pain of losing her but also much of the love I felt for her as well. My brother has no memories and no conception of what a mother is.
Wow. That really brings it home.

Old 06-29-2019, 01:12 PM

2,483 posts, read 2,475,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
Not trying to complicate your answer, but for your brother, your mom can be whatever he needs her to be, with no flaws whatsoever. You, on the other hand, probably can't envision her precisely the same way because of your memory of her.

Old 06-29-2019, 01:14 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,650,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picardlx View Post
Not trying to complicate your answer, but for your brother, your mom can be whatever he needs her to be, with no flaws whatsoever. You, on the other hand, probably can't envision her precisely the same way because of your memory of her.
Yes!!!
And that's why I was happier before I had experienced love. There was no disappointment to know. There was only good, no bad. Now I remember both and it's bittersweet.

Old 06-29-2019, 06:46 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,235,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MogwaiLover217 View Post
Its hard-wired into a mans DNA to be the most strongest attracted to women in their late teens and throughout their 20's more than any other age group of women
It might be true for you, but it's certainly not true for me (thankfully). Of course, I'm 73. I don't think I could have romantic feelings for anyone under age 50; certainly no one in her teens, 20s or 30s and probably not in her 40s, since my kids are in their 40s. The thought of dating someone younger than my own kids is a little repulsive to me... not that I've ever had to reject someone their ages! LOL

Old 06-30-2019, 02:04 PM

746 posts, read 441,939 times
I can't really say. Of course, all I've ever done is "lost", so......

Old 07-03-2019, 10:06 AM

4,418 posts, read 2,943,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
It might be true for you, but it's certainly not true for me (thankfully). Of course, I'm 73. I don't think I could have romantic feelings for anyone under age 50; certainly no one in her teens, 20s or 30s and probably not in her 40s, since my kids are in their 40s. The thought of dating someone younger than my own kids is a little repulsive to me... not that I've ever had to reject someone their ages! LOL
But physically girls look the most attractive at these ages. That is men and womens physical prime. That is when women are the healthiest to have babies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships