Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 12:29 PM

4,078 posts, read 5,414,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoian31 View Post
OK. This is the situation. My girlfriend has owned a cat for a long time before we met. She is very close and fond of her cat. However, this cat has a history of pissing on furniture, and various areas of he house. As a result she has ruined a lot of stuff or caused a lot of headaches in general. We both have tried many ways to solve the issue from creating separate cat liter boxes, cleaning it daily, and taking her to the vet. The vet found no issues with her and said it is a mental problem and prescribed some medicine for her. However, my girlfriend tried using the medicince for three days and was having more trouble administiring the drug to her cat. As a result she gave up giving the cat the medicine and now we are encountering the same problem over again. She wants to talk to the vet and see if there are other solutions.

This is were I am having problems and at crossroads with this cat. The vet said that this would probably be a life long problem for the cat. The cat is merely 8 years old. so my guess is about another 10 years of the same problem. I cannot deal with this problem for 10 more years. The cat has pissed on our bed several times. As a result my girlfriend has cleaned the bed, and we bought a bed cover that should prevent the cat **** from getting everywhere. However, this problem does not stop and has caused us a lot of money to replace/ or professionally clean furniture. It is also causing us to have to sleep in different rooms which in effect causes problems with our intimacy.

I would love for her to keep the cat if it would just use the cat littler box. How do I tell her enough is enough with the cat ?
Perhaps this is more about a lifestyle issue than it is about a cat.

You can't make her choose her cat over the relationship.

It's like saying "Me or your kid."

The person who loves their kid is always going to choose their kid over the person they're with.

Maybe you can assess what you really want in this relationship, because a cat peeing in bed shouldn't break up a strong intimate relationship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 12:36 PM

20,762 posts, read 19,968,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
You don't tell her enough is enough with the cat lol. Don't want the cat to pee on the bed? Easy--don't let her in your room. I did that with my cat, who peed on the bed (thankfully not on the mattress and the quilt was thick enough) and also in my closet. She did it more out of spite due to a new pet in the house because she had never done that before.

Was she peeing randomly in the house before you came along?

Also, have you tried changing kitty litter? Cats are picky.
Restrict the cats access in the house/apartment.

My friends cat peed right next to the litter box because she didnt like the cover on it. Was scared to go in. She took the lid/cover/roof off and the cat was happy.

Cats are very clean animals when it comes to litterboxes. Something is wrong with her, she doesn't just pee everywhere because it is fun. She needs her meds!

Old 04-01-2014, 01:38 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,372,221 times
I think confining the cat to one room is anything but cruel. A nervous cat would probably appreciate having its territory limited. Being confined to a single room with multiple litter boxes may be just the thing for her to get the idea of what she needs to do.

Look, I don't get her not giving the cat its medication. That just seems bizarre. You say she's frustrated, but she's not stepping up. She needs to be more proactive.

Old 04-01-2014, 01:52 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,609,532 times
Quote:
OK. This is the situation. My girlfriend has owned a cat for a long time before we met. She is very close and fond of her cat. However, this cat has a history of pissing on furniture, and various areas of he house. As a result she has ruined a lot of stuff or caused a lot of headaches in general. We both have tried many ways to solve the issue from creating separate cat liter boxes, cleaning it daily, and taking her to the vet. The vet found no issues with her and said it is a mental problem and prescribed some medicine for her. However, my girlfriend tried using the medicince for three days and was having more trouble administiring the drug to her cat. As a result she gave up giving the cat the medicine and now we are encountering the same problem over again. She wants to talk to the vet and see if there are other solutions.

This is were I am having problems and at crossroads with this cat. The vet said that this would probably be a life long problem for the cat. The cat is merely 8 years old. so my guess is about another 10 years of the same problem. I cannot deal with this problem for 10 more years. The cat has pissed on our bed several times. As a result my girlfriend has cleaned the bed, and we bought a bed cover that should prevent the cat **** from getting everywhere. However, this problem does not stop and has caused us a lot of money to replace/ or professionally clean furniture. It is also causing us to have to sleep in different rooms which in effect causes problems with our intimacy.

I would love for her to keep the cat if it would just use the cat littler box. How do I tell her enough is enough with the cat ?
I do sympathize because I have a cat who is pretty good at using her litterbox, but even if she wasn't, I'd never get rid of her. I love her too much.

Old 04-01-2014, 02:08 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,234,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Restrict the cats access in the house/apartment.

My friends cat peed right next to the litter box because she didnt like the cover on it. Was scared to go in. She took the lid/cover/roof off and the cat was happy.

Cats are very clean animals when it comes to litterboxes. Something is wrong with her, she doesn't just pee everywhere because it is fun. She needs her meds!
The bolded-agree 100%!

My cat did the same thing when we changed the litter box. We got her one of those big domed ones that we thought was nice and would keep the litter inside the box. She wouldn't go in either. Took the lid off and she was happy

Hubby once brought home different kitty litter to try out. She HATED it. Poop nuggets right next to the box. Dumped it, cleaned it and put her regular litter back in. She was happy.

OP, my cat doesn't like people (other than us and sometimes that's debateable too lol). She would run and hide when we had company. I restricted her from the bedrooms because I couldn't take a chance with her peeing on the beds or in the closets again. You know it's not easy getting that smell out. She has become used to company.

Old 04-01-2014, 02:28 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
My sister in law's cat doesn't like people. So, she lives in the basement, where there are seldom people. I don't see much point in a pet that does not enjoy being around people, and lives alone in seclusion, personally, but, hey, not my pet.

Old 04-01-2014, 03:50 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,061,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat949 View Post
Maybe you can assess what you really want in this relationship, because a cat peeing in bed shouldn't break up a strong intimate relationship.
I don't know about you, but being surrounded by cat pi$$ at every turn, especially in my bed, doesn't exactly put me in the mood lol However...

Quote:
The cat has pissed on our bed several times. As a result my girlfriend has cleaned the bed, and we bought a bed cover that should prevent the cat **** from getting everywhere. However, this problem does not stop and has caused us a lot of money to replace/ or professionally clean furniture. It is also causing us to have to sleep in different rooms which in effect causes problems with our intimacy.
... I don't understand the bolded unless I missed the clarification in another post. How does sleeping in different rooms help? Are you saying that your girlfriend sleeps with the cat not minding its pi$$ while you sleep elsewhere or does the two of you not sleeping together influence if/when/where the cat takes a pi$$?

At any rate, she needs to get over the "not fair to confine" thing. Parents have that issue too, some allowing their children to run amok all over the house because they don't think it's "fair/right" to have a space that's dedicated for mommy and daddy.

You can't have your cake and eat it, too. Either you let your stuff get pi$$ed all over and waste time and money replacing things and buying things to mask things or you keep the cat out until the medical issue is under control, whatever it is.

Seconded on her practicing with administering medicine to the cat.

Old 04-01-2014, 04:37 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,128,778 times
What if you accidentally left the backdoor open one day and the cat ran away?

Wait. No. Come back.

Old 04-01-2014, 04:37 PM

1,566 posts, read 2,159,288 times
I'm curious why your girlfriend can't give her the meds? Either pill or in liquid form? Sorry if I missed your explanation on that.

Old 04-01-2014, 04:41 PM

20,762 posts, read 19,968,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
What if you accidentally left the backdoor open one day and the cat ran away?

Wait. No. Come back.
MEAN!!!!

That ACCIDENTALY (really without kidding) happened to a friend and the cat was found and given to the shelter 2 months later. She was so starved (it was winter in Germany, so no mice and nothing to eat) that the organs shut down and all they could do was put her to sleep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships