Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 08:48 PM

135 posts, read 150,256 times

Advertisements

I ask this because I know it's been one of the biggest reasons for my lack of success over the years. It's been a combination of insecurity/lack of self esteem (which I've finally overcome, thank god) and desperation (which I'm battling hard to overcome now). What it comes down to is that I find it very difficult to just talk to women and have fun without caring about the outcome. It ends up resulting in a lot of interactions where I come across as awkward or unnatural cause I want something to happen too badly

How can I overcome this? I know the saying that "it happens when you least expect it" is absolutely true but I just find it so hard to do that. Hell the only time I've really had any dating success in recent times was when I just started talking to a beautiful 21 year old without caring about anything and ended up getting a date with her. There is nothing missing in my life BTW. I'm pretty much 100% happy with everything going on - I love my job, love my friends, family, everything, etc... The dating is just the hard part
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 09:55 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,650,496 times
It's normal to feel nervous and act awkward around someone you like. I'm leary about men who don't act that way around me, yet want to date. Just work on not being offensive or insulting or too shy to say anything and everything will fall into place once you find a woman who likes you back.

Old 04-01-2014, 10:07 PM

135 posts, read 150,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
It's normal to feel nervous and act awkward around someone you like. I'm leary about men who don't act that way around me, yet want to date. Just work on not being offensive or insulting or too shy to say anything and everything will fall into place once you find a woman who likes you back.

huh? most women want to date men who are 100% confident/smooth

Old 04-01-2014, 10:10 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,650,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyraz View Post
huh? most women want to date men who are 100% confident/smooth
You have to be able to approach them and talk to them, and from your OP you seem like you can do that.

Old 04-01-2014, 10:14 PM

368 posts, read 577,539 times
You're desperate for what you don't have, so get more of

Old 04-01-2014, 10:29 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,122,185 times
Well, women are still humans, not angels from the heaven, they aren't ideal too like all of us, they can be shy, feel akward etc. Just keep this in your mind and everything will be clear and easy to do.

Old 04-01-2014, 10:33 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
Quote:
I ask this because I know it's been one of the biggest reasons for my lack of success over the years. It's been a combination of insecurity/lack of self esteem (which I've finally overcome, thank god) and desperation (which I'm battling hard to overcome now). What it comes down to is that I find it very difficult to just talk to women and have fun without caring about the outcome. It ends up resulting in a lot of interactions where I come across as awkward or unnatural cause I want something to happen too badly

How can I overcome this? I know the saying that "it happens when you least expect it" is absolutely true but I just find it so hard to do that. Hell the only time I've really had any dating success in recent times was when I just started talking to a beautiful 21 year old without caring about anything and ended up getting a date with her. There is nothing missing in my life BTW. I'm pretty much 100% happy with everything going on - I love my job, love my friends, family, everything, etc... The dating is just the hard part
Stop caring so much about one person until they prove themselves. Keep that in mind and you won't be desperate. Make them prove themselves to you.

Old 04-02-2014, 01:54 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,414,746 times
Quote:

I always enjoy the notion of "Go with the flow."

The less you try, the more you achieve.

When you're in your most natural state of being, your own self, the natural part of you shines through and is charming.

When people go into situations with over-expectations, they inadvertently set themselves up for failure.

Over-focusing = anxiety = fear = lack of true self. (Own It)

RuPaul does it BEST!

RuPaul - Supermodel (Of The World) - YouTube

Old 04-02-2014, 03:24 AM

639 posts, read 678,699 times
Don't lie. Don't make up stuff about yourself to get to know him/her. Don't try too hard. If you look like you are doing a lot to get them to notice you, you will seem desperate. Don't stalk him/her, it's a bit creepy. It will make them think you are strange and desperate. If that person clearly doesn't like you, then turn your attention to someone else. Try to look busy all the time. If you have nothing to do, don't stare at the person, it might make him/her feel awkward. Talk to him/her, and when you see someone you know, say "Hey!" and try to start a conversation. Don't stare at the person while you are talking; quick glances are better. '"No it's not the end of the world if they don't like you."' If you meet every guy/girl with the thought of a future relationship in your head, none of these tips will work. Take things slow; look for friends, not boy/girlfriends. If they don't like you back, don't take it personally. Everybody has different tastes and personalities, and it's impossible for everyone to like you.

Old 04-02-2014, 03:38 AM

1,400 posts, read 1,577,335 times
Quote:

Methinks you have solved your own riddle. Now that you have walked the length of rice paper, go forth from the temple and prosper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships