Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 12:59 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,075,900 times

Advertisements

What does her lawyer say? Not her mom's or her brother's, or the lawyer for whoever did the scamming. What does HER lawyer say>?

I am not sure you can pre-nup away a "marital' liability. If you are married, and she is liable, you might suffer an attachment (and not of the good kind). See YOUR lawyer.

Sounds like the lady is an 'enabler' or whatever you call it when someone facilitates someone else's bad habits. Blood runs pretty thick. Nothing wrong with standing by your beloved. Just know where you stand, and what the liabilities might be.

Guaranteed, things will get a lot worse before they get better. Just be aware.

(I have a VERY angry and spiteful ex wife in my past. She is also a lawyer. My family and I have spent tens of thousands of dollars creating legal barriers to this woman's evil ways. It can be done. It is costly. And it is NOT fun to live with--which, in my case, is exactly her goal: make my life, and anyone whose lives' I touch, miserable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2014, 01:23 PM

39,221 posts, read 27,592,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
What does her lawyer say? Not her mom's or her brother's, or the lawyer for whoever did the scamming. What does HER lawyer say>?

I am not sure you can pre-nup away a "marital' liability. If you are married, and she is liable, you might suffer an attachment (and not of the good kind). See YOUR lawyer.

Sounds like the lady is an 'enabler' or whatever you call it when someone facilitates someone else's bad habits. Blood runs pretty thick. Nothing wrong with standing by your beloved. Just know where you stand, and what the liabilities might be.

Guaranteed, things will get a lot worse before they get better. Just be aware.

(I have a VERY angry and spiteful ex wife in my past. She is also a lawyer. My family and I have spent tens of thousands of dollars creating legal barriers to this woman's evil ways. It can be done. It is costly. And it is NOT fun to live with--which, in my case, is exactly her goal: make my life, and anyone whose lives' I touch, miserable.

LOL That is the price you have to pay marrying a lawyer.

Old 04-02-2014, 01:41 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,785,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
What does her lawyer say? Not her mom's or her brother's, or the lawyer for whoever did the scamming. What does HER lawyer say?
Lawyer says that it's a tricky situation... it could go on for over a year, there could be liability but he is going to try to get my GF out of it if he can.

pretty much what my friends and family have told me is that family ties and influence is extremely difficult to break and I may be fighting an uphill battle here to convince her to break off ties with her mom/bro. If they are in the picture it's definitely a possibility that they will influence things in our marriage for the worse...

In addition I just do not know what kind of underhand activities her bro is upto and how he will use us to his benefit in the future. The thing is that I have a fairly good amount of money saved up and a high paying job, her mom/bro may be seeing this as an $$$ opportunity...scares me.

Old 04-02-2014, 01:46 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,106,671 times
Hey, she can't help who her family is, but you're right that she can choose to distance herself from their toxic ways. To a lesser extent my brother has this problem with his girlfriend. Her parents especially her mom are very very toxic. No matter how much her family knocks her down, she just keeps coming back for more hoping that one day they'll change and morph into the supportive loving family she desires.

I don't think I would want to marry her either until she gets this mess sorted out. Perhaps she was young, but wow...I can't think of any excuse to sign a legal document you don't understand. I probably knew that back in sixth grade. Really poor judgment on her part. Maybe you could try to be supportive, but also take a step back and see how this all plays out before making any big decisions.

Old 04-02-2014, 02:03 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,949,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
LOL, that would be the logical thing to do but I am so emotionally invested in this that it's hard. Part of me feels really sorry for her, like a need to save her from her situation but I know that this is something of her doing and I have to let her take responsibility for her actions.
Save yourself!

Old 04-08-2014, 11:29 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,785,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
Save yourself!
well, I can save myself but here is my GF's take on it... "If I want to be with her then I should be 100% committed to work though any of the problems including IF she has to pay back $50, 60, 70 or even $80,000, it is a sacrifice that I should make in order to be with her".

If I cannot make that sacrifice then she understands and I should go my own way and she will find someone who will make that journey with her.

She says she wants to have kids regardless of whether she owes a huge sum of money or not, even if it's going to be challenging.

Her take is that I focus too much on my money and less on relationships and people. In her view the relationship that we had is more important than potential liability and if I truly loved her then I will accept the financial risks of being with her.

What is your take on this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships