Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 10:36 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,944,080 times

Advertisements

I'm 29 years old, gay and have been single all my life. I have met hundreds of guys throughout my adult life so far and have never really found anyone that I could picture myself loving and being with for the long term.

But now, I met someone who I really think is a great match (based on one date so far), but there's a problem. He lives a 1 hr and 20 min drive from me and the round trip drive consists of $16.75 in tolls. There is a toll free route, but it adds 30 minutes to the trip each way. This is the NYC region, of course.

So what should I do? He said that I'm "worth making the trip for" and is willing to visit me, too. I live in Norwalk, CT and he lives in West Babylon, NY, which is on Long Island.

Another caveat is that I hate this NYC area and was hoping to find a new job and relocate out of the area this summer.

What would you do if you were in my shoes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2014, 11:09 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I'm 29 years old, gay and have been single all my life. I have met hundreds of guys throughout my adult life so far and have never really found anyone that I could picture myself loving and being with for the long term.

But now, I met someone who I really think is a great match (based on one date so far), but there's a problem. He lives a 1 hr and 20 min drive from me and the round trip drive consists of $16.75 in tolls. There is a toll free route, but it adds 30 minutes to the trip each way. This is the NYC region, of course.

So what should I do? He said that I'm "worth making the trip for" and is willing to visit me, too. I live in Norwalk, CT and he lives in West Babylon, NY, which is on Long Island.

Another caveat is that I hate this NYC area and was hoping to find a new job and relocate out of the area this summer.

I would cease all whining about the perceived "problems" and be willing to swim thru crocodile infested waters to reach the man I knew was the one for me.

Old 04-02-2014, 11:54 PM

1,403 posts, read 2,504,572 times
Seriously?

My whole relationship to my husband has been long - distance for the most part. In the 7 years we have been together, we have only lived under the same roof for 8 MONTHS. And out of those 7 years, a total of 21 months he was in the Middle East getting shot at. Thank God he gets out of the military very soon.

Trust me. It's not that bad. I think you can manage.

Old 04-03-2014, 12:42 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,476,977 times
If you really care for someone special usually you'll do most anything to see them. You said you were moving this summer. Maybe he can move as well and you can live a lot closer to each other.

Old 04-03-2014, 12:54 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,926,132 times
1 hour 20 minutes is considered long distance? oh jeeze..

Old 04-03-2014, 01:12 AM

4,525 posts, read 3,405,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
1 hour 20 minutes is considered long distance? oh jeeze..
I agree.

So many long distance relationships would kill to have that time frame apart from each other.

Old 04-03-2014, 04:43 AM

11,368 posts, read 9,280,838 times
Quote:

I'm in a LDR and I would be very happy if she was only 1 hour and 20 minutes, or even 2 hours away away.
Heck, I'd be happy if she was a 4 or 5 hour drive from where I live!

If you feel the need to come on here to complain about something so petty perhaps he's really not worth your time.

Skip the tolls. It's not worth the expense, especially since you can't afford it. Be happy you found someone compatable. Many people don't.

Old 04-03-2014, 04:54 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,447,211 times
Why don't you give the relationship some time, like a year, before you decide he's the one (or not the one) and get all in a twist by a very short distance by LDR standards?

One date? Really?

And if things go well, perhaps the two of you can figure out better living arrangements.

Old 04-03-2014, 05:51 AM

39,221 posts, read 27,592,812 times
Quote:

Not sure if long distance relationship really works. But since you consider him as a great match, you need to take some risks.

Old 04-03-2014, 05:56 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
It's one date. Chill out a little.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships