Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 08:35 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,827,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Because I want to be. Didn't like marriage, don't particularly miss being in a relationship, don't see myself dating any time soon. Too many other things on my plate. Check back in a year. Thank you, drive through.
That's what he said.

Don't hurt me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2014, 08:41 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,798,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by techcrium View Post
It's impossible to find that guy because that guy would have been snatched by a woman 10 years earlier.

You are essentially asking for a 9/10 who isn't married.

Unless you are 9/10 looks, excellent job, holds a conversation....how do you ask for that 9/10 guy?
I think the point is he was in a marriage that 10-years earlier and because he was a good man, he didn't cheat on his wife. But maybe they split up for some reason (or maybe his wife died). A lot of men (and women too) take time off after a divorce or death of a loved one to heal... especially if they were the ones abandoned, cheated on, etc. It takes time to work though all that as it deals a blow to your self esteem and to mourn.

After they heal, then they get back out there. Like I said, I've met at least two men like that (although it was in what seemed like a sea of "not good ones"). With the first one we just didn't click with each other and the second one I dated for a while but he just wasn't as into me as I was into him (he's actually been single for 8 years until I started dating him and is back to being single again).

Old 04-03-2014, 08:45 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,614,801 times
Haven't found a women that I would like to spend the rest of my life with.

Have met many that I would like to have dinner with. Many that I would love to sleep with.

But have not met one that I could see myself growing old with.

I look forward to finding the right lady for me.

Last edited by usamathman; 04-03-2014 at 10:09 AM..

Old 04-03-2014, 08:45 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,657,286 times
Because after three failed marriages I learned my lesson? I'm good on my own, enjoy my own company and have been single for three decades now. I don't feel I'm missing anything, and I certainly don't feel "unloved" at all. My social life as is as much as I want it to be, I'm blessed with dear friends near and far and there's nobody around to look at me sideways when I fart.

Old 04-03-2014, 08:47 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,820,271 times
That seems to be the general consensus in our matrimonial society. There are a lot of reasons I'm single, some of them good, some of them bad, some of them just my own quirks. The good reasons I'm single; I can handle my own company, I have a lot of hobbies, I'm too busy for a relationship, I don't take anything from anyone, etc. The bad reasons are that I prefer my own company, I can't stand most people, I can barely stand myself, I get fixated on something I'm interested in and don't know when to stop (thank goodness that doesn't include people).

Old 04-03-2014, 08:50 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,598,710 times
Ha! I'm single because I am a "character." Other "characters" seem to have married early and sometimes to the wrong person. Ouch!

The rest of the world calls us "weirdos." I don't think making oatmeal and scrambling an egg in the same frying pan is weird! It saves dishes. I also don't think having a discussion with my cat about what foreign leaders are having for breakfast is weird, either. She listens well and even meows in the right places.

But I guess lots of men in their 50s think that's weird.

So I'm still single.

Old 04-03-2014, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Because after three failed marriages I learned my lesson? I'm good on my own, enjoy my own company and have been single for three decades now. I don't feel I'm missing anything, and I certainly don't feel "unloved" at all. My social life as is as much as I want it to be, I'm blessed with dear friends near and far and there's nobody around to look at me sideways when I fart.
Do you fart real loud?

Old 04-03-2014, 09:02 AM

867 posts, read 908,335 times
I'm single because I just got out of a relationship three months ago and I'm just chilling and regrouping from it.

Old 04-03-2014, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
Haven't found a women that I would like to spend the rest of my life with.

Have met many that I would like to have dinner with. Many that I would love to sleep with.

But have not met one that I could see myself growing old with.

I look forward to finding to marriage.
You can grow old without a woman.But yes it's better with someone.

Old 04-03-2014, 09:31 AM

1,341 posts, read 1,626,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by relationshippro View Post
Today at office we had a discussion between a couple singles and a couple people who are in relationships.

The question was basically: Why are you single?
Most singles answered: Because the good men/women are already taken.
Following that logic, if you're not taken, doesn't that mean that you're not a good man/woman?

Why do you think so many people are single? And what are your reasons?
Real question would be why are so many people "in committed relationships" while hiding that they have an occasional fling on the side or things like that. Or why are they in a "happy relationship" which they know it isn't really happy and often say so to the others when the other party isn't around, or they even lie that they are in a happy relationship.
The same question can be applied regardless of the relationship status.

I'd say the key thing is "transparency". People cannot know whom they are with, only whom the other person presents to be. Pay note that if someone seems to be a good person for 20 years, then they simply are a good person, nobody fakes two decades so easily. Transparency is the key for any relationship and that's something that most people lack - because they want to have their cake and eat it too, as people say on this forum.
To apply the same logic to single folks, I'd say that single people should be "transparent" to themselves and that's what matters the most.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships