Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If a woman appraoches you and shows interest in you... and you are interested in her... do you ask f
yes 13 76.47%
no 4 23.53%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 03:29 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,803,101 times

Advertisements

I am having the same off topic discussion in two threads, so I figured I would just start a new one about the sub topic.

In the other threads, I talk about how I will approach a man, smile, flirt, engage in conversation, etc... but I won't ask his number (or other contact information). I leave that to him.

My outlook on it is most men I've met are very nice and friendly. They don't say "go away" if they aren't interested in me. They stay polite and chit chat. So the only way I have to know if a man is interested or not in me is whether or not he meets me halfway and takes that step and asks me my number.

The way I see it, if a man is not at all interested in me or on the fence and doesn't think I am worth 'the risk', then he's not going to ask. But if a man is really interested in me, finds me attractive, he's not going to just let me walk away without trying.

Now, the conversation in the other threads are that I should also ask for his number because a man won't ask (even if I did make the approach and even if he is interested). That seems counter-intuitive to me, but who knows, I could be wrong.

So tell me, if it were you and a woman walked up to you, smiled, flirted and initiated a conversation with you and showed interest in you; and you in turn found her to be attractive and you were interested in her, would you ask for her number?

EDIT: Sorry, typo in the poll question AND it got cut off. And I can't seem to edit/fix it. And a typo in the subject line. Ugh. Time for afternoon tea! Hopefully you get the idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2014, 03:34 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,339,729 times
Sure. However, women should ask as well (if they're really interested) if they sense hesitation from the man; because some men just don't have the courage.

Old 04-03-2014, 03:35 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
I am having the same off topic discussion in two threads, so I figured I would just start a new one about the sub topic.

In the other threads, I talk about how I will approach a man, smile, flirt, engage in conversation, etc... but I won't ask his number (or other contact information). I leave that to him.

My outlook on it is most men I've met are very nice and friendly. They don't say "go away" if they aren't interested in me. They stay polite and chit chat. So the only way I have to know if a man is interested or not in me is whether or not he meets me halfway and takes that step and asks me my number.

The way I see it, if a man is not at all interested in me or on the fence and doesn't think I am worth 'the risk', then he's not going to ask. But if a man is really interested in me, finds me attractive, he's not going to just let me walk away without trying.

Now, the conversation in the other threads are that I should also ask for his number because a man won't ask (even if I did make the approach and even if he is interested). That seems counter-intuitive to me, but who knows, I could be wrong.

So tell me, if it were you and a woman walked up to you, smiled, flirted and initiated a conversation with you and showed interest in you; and you in turn found her to be attractive and you were interested in her, would you ask for her number?
Yes no maybe so

I talk to women all the time, and majority of the time when I'm out I am not thinking about asking anyone out or dating. I'm usually focused on buying what I need or getting to the golf course. I always enjoy talking to people, but asking someone out on a date just really isn't on my mind. Not that I'd be nervous or feel awkward at all. Very rarely will I ask a girl for her number if I have a nice conversation with her, unless I feel like I'm bored that day or haven't gone out on a date in a while.

I don't know if most guys are like me or not, but in this situation I think a decent gesture would be to offer the guy your phone number. This doesn't make you come off as overly pushy, and it won't give him an impression that you're easy because you're still making him take the initiative to call you. However, I wouldn't ask for his phone number.

Old 04-03-2014, 03:38 PM

663 posts, read 778,026 times
I just went to a fitness class and the instructor approached me afterwards asking if I've done it before. Then we had a small talk. Does that mean she is interested?

Nope. Am I going to ask for her number. Definitely not.

She was 45 and I am 25.

I attended contractors meet and greet and everyone introduced themselves including the few women. Am I to assume they are interested simply because they talked to me and everyone else there?

Am I going to ask for her number? Definitely not.

lol just because a woman talks to you doesn't mean she is interested.

Old 04-03-2014, 03:39 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,803,101 times
Two good answers so far... not what I expected, but I am glad I asked because I (and a couple of other women) were arguing that if a man is really interested, he'll ask. Keep um coming! And now time to get that tea so I can wake up and "spell more better"

Old 04-03-2014, 03:45 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
Quote:
Two good answers so far... not what I expected, but I am glad I asked because I (and a couple of other women) were arguing that if a man is really interested, he'll ask. Keep um coming! And now time to get that tea so I can wake up and "spell more better"

If you're really against offering your number to a guy and you really want him to ask you. Your best bet is to get the conversation about you two doing something together.

The standard "ah we should do that sometime!"

Old 04-03-2014, 03:46 PM

2,440 posts, read 3,431,123 times
Quote:
Well, it also depends on what reason she approached. And even if I would love to ask, I may hesitate considering that some women get offended if you just dive right in and request that kind of personal contact information.

Old 04-03-2014, 03:53 PM

5,573 posts, read 3,347,498 times
I would wait a bit and let her ask for my contact information. She was comfortable enough to initiate and she might appreciate having a few minutes to let that sort of happen naturally. If I was interested in her and she didn't ask, then I would ask before we went our separate ways.

Old 04-03-2014, 04:14 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,305,593 times
Quote:

EDIT: Sorry, typo in the poll question AND it got cut off. And I can't seem to edit/fix it. And a typo in the subject line. Ugh. Time for afternoon tea! Hopefully you get the idea.
I could ask her for her number. But who knows if it is real or not. A woman could talk to me but that doesn't mean she likes me.

Old 04-03-2014, 04:21 PM

663 posts, read 778,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
I could ask her for her number. But who knows if it is real or not. A woman could talk to me but that doesn't mean she likes me.
Exactly. The women here on the board thinks that if she talks to a guy, she basically approached him.

Well, I must have approached 10 cashiers, 10 fitness instructors, 15 sales people, 50 coworkers, 20 friends, and like 30 strangers this month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships