Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 09:18 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucktownbabe View Post
Or it would, had I ever said that.
Let me quote post #43 in this thread in which you said....

"Let's be honest-- it caters to poor people. That likely class difference between the OP and her boyfriend is probably the bigger issue than where they shop."

Kind of an odd statement when market research prettily clearly says otherwise.

Old 04-05-2014, 11:24 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,957,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
This is not a dealbreaker for the relationship, but my new BF is a Walmart hater. I shop at Walmart. I'm aware of the controversies and have my own opinions. I don't really care where other people shop. I'm not making a lot of money right now and I like that Walmart is one stop shopping for virtually all my household needs and most personal needs. I know where everything is and what they have before I step into the store. If i ever became rich, I would still find it convenient to shop at Walmart. I'm lucky to live in an area with nice Walmarts and know which ones to avoid when possible. There is a Walmart half a mile from my work. I have a Sam's club card that my ex husband pays for which I use on occasion when it is convenient. I don't see how Walmart is really any worse than any other big american corporation. I don't raise this issue or argue with people about it. I don't try to convince them that they should shop there. I just shop and mind my own business.

So my BF is politically opposed to Walmart in general, as well as Sam's Club. He brings it up all the freakin time! I've explained some of my points of view as defined above, but I don't want to come across as "Dude, you'd shop there too if you were as broke as I am" because it is not his business how broke I am. So I avoid the topic when possible.

So last weekend we went to Target for something and he immediately started in on how much nicer it is than Walmart. I remained neutral on the subject (since I don't really find it interesting as a topic for discussion) and started talking about other things, and I think he took it personally....

So what to do with the Walmart hater? Is this going to tank my relationship because I won't join his hate parade? Like I said, i don't try to persuade him to shop there, we have plenty of other options.

WWYD??
Targé IMO is no different than wally world.

Try this: shop exclusively at Targé from now on.
I bet a lot of beans he finds something else to complain about. Be it your shoes, tastes in movies/tv/music, or something else.

Old 04-06-2014, 05:27 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,438,947 times
At my old Walmart, people used to set fire to things and shoot at each other in the parking lot. Can't blame that on socioeconomics.

Old 04-06-2014, 06:25 AM

527 posts, read 600,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Let me quote post #43 in this thread in which you said....

"Let's be honest-- it caters to poor people.
I'm well aware of what I said. Now let me quote what you claimed I said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
It basically refutes your assertion that only poor people shop at Wal-Mart.
Please tell me you understand the difference between "Wal-Mart caters to poor people" (which is clearly a true statement) and "Only poor people shop at Wal-Mart" (which only an idiot would believe to be true). If not, I might suggest going to school or something.

Old 04-06-2014, 07:32 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,436,414 times
He has a need to control you. Once you stop shopping at Walmart, he will think of something else about you to change.

Old 04-06-2014, 07:46 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,823,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krieger00 View Post
I know this is going to sound nice or very PC but have you been to a Walmart lately? Do you honest think they deserve $15 an hour when are school teachers do not even make that in most cases. A good teacher is worth more to society then someone that wants a career at Walmart.

This isn't a minimum wage problem, poverty is a societal and skills problem. If you have cancer, building more hospital rooms won’t cure the problem, attacking the root of the disease will. The issue is that people working a cash register at a fast food place don’t have the skills required to raise themselves up. They likely didn't have the upbringing to give them the self-esteem and structure to make something more of themselves.
You also have people in this country who came from somewhere else that have not assimilated into American life who have no desire to learn and/or improve their language skills. This isn't a minimum wage issue, this is a personal, societal and skills issue.

Your BF is a tool how is Target any different than Walmart ? they both pay about the same and treat there workers the same .

Tell him to stop being a hypocrite and give up shopping at all retail stores than and give up his cell phone and every thing he owns that not made in America .

About the bold he sounds like a child or has sand in his VAG.
Have you actually looked around lately? People of all walks of life work retail and fast food jobs. Nobody chooses that as a career.

Old 04-06-2014, 07:52 AM

6,883 posts, read 7,881,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucktownbabe View Post
I'm well aware of what I said. Now let me quote what you claimed I said:

Please tell me you understand the difference between "Wal-Mart caters to poor people" (which is clearly a true statement) and "Only poor people shop at Wal-Mart" (which only an idiot would believe to be true). If not, I might suggest going to school or something.
Bucktownbabe...I have to agree...your comment about class differences and saying that Walmart Caters to Poor People is pretty darn much the same as asserting that only poor people shop at Walmart.

As for my BF and I, I make less money than him BY CHOICE for multiple reasons. I have a masters degree and he never finished college. I have two beautiful talented and expensive children to support and own my own home in an expensive neighborhood. He rents in a bachelor neighborhood...never owned his own home. We both have substantial retirement savings.

We've made different choices over the years, but we are most certainly not in an incompatible class. When the occasion calls for it, I know where to buy nice things. But I'll be darned if I'm going to buy my exact same brand of dish detergent at Target and pay 25% more for it. Does that make me lower class?

Old 04-06-2014, 07:54 AM

832 posts, read 1,417,081 times
Quote:
But I'll be darned if I'm going to buy my exact same brand of dish detergent at Target and pay 25% more for it. Does that make me lower class?
Ugh.

Just... ugh.

How could you?

So low class man...

So low...

Old 04-06-2014, 08:48 AM

527 posts, read 600,217 times
Quote:
Bucktownbabe...I have to agree...your comment about class differences and saying that Walmart Caters to Poor People is pretty darn much the same as asserting that only poor people shop at Walmart.
I'm sorry to hear that you view things in such a black-and-white manner. I wish I could help you. Critical thinking is something I teach to university students, who often view the world that way at age 18, but I don't know how to teach a set-in-their-ways "momma" who has no desire to recognize shades of gray over an internet forum. You're on your own, I'm afraid.

Quote:
As for my BF and I, I make less money than him BY CHOICE for multiple reasons. I have a masters degree and he never finished college. I have two beautiful talented and expensive children to support and own my own home in an expensive neighborhood. He rents in a bachelor neighborhood...never owned his own home. We both have substantial retirement savings.

We've made different choices over the years, but we are most certainly not in an incompatible class. When the occasion calls for it, I know where to buy nice things. But I'll be darned if I'm going to buy my exact same brand of dish detergent at Target and pay 25% more for it. Does that make me lower class?
I don't disagree with any of this, by the way. If you think any of this has anything to do with what I stated, you should probably re-read it. A company catering to a certain demographic is NOT the same thing as ONLY that demographic using that company. Read that again. And again. If it still doesn't make sense to you, I don't know what to tell you.

Last edited by Bucktownbabe; 04-06-2014 at 09:02 AM..

Old 04-06-2014, 09:44 AM

3,009 posts, read 3,641,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
Have you actually looked around lately? People of all walks of life work retail and fast food jobs. Nobody chooses that as a career.
Oh I know I would wish it up on anyone but if you do not have the skills to get another job at least there working . That is why i am nice to other people that work retail I been there it sucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships