Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 10:36 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,523,977 times

Advertisements

Honestly, unless you live off the grid in a self-sustaining compound and do a very, very thorough job of isolating yourself and living a nomadic lifestyle, you will have a very hard time avoiding even passively supporting businesses and conglomerates who have many suspect, corrupt business practices. It's not just Walmart who's the big bad baddie. Business ALL do things that someone or another will find bad, suspect, inethical, immoral, even just not-as-good-as-it-could-be, etc.

Burt's Bees is one of my favorite manufacturers, both for quality of product (which they have managed to do without jacking up prices prohibitively, unlike similar products/companies), and because they do seem to have a significant stake in operating in a socially responsible manner as a corporation in their day-to-day operations. However, they were acquired by the Clorox Co. in the late 2000s, who may or may not have the same commitment to social responsibility, I really don't know.

At any rate, anybody who's going to be an obnoxious, braying buffoon about where he or she thinks others should and shouldn't shop is a ridiculous person.

Old 04-04-2014, 10:59 AM

513 posts, read 736,146 times
"Your boyfriend is a total a-hole. Why are you even asking us? Just dump him now. Because if this relationship goes further, you'll have to justify every single purchase to him from now until doomsday.

There's a huge difference between being frugal and being a freaking cheapskate. The first is a matter of being prudent. The second is just misery for anybody in that person's life."

Answer: I DID dump him--he is an EX.

Old 04-04-2014, 11:04 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,192,652 times
Default You say you got this but we don't see nothin'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzyst View Post
Of course, I paid all of my bills and he still thought he could criticize every purchase I made. We once had an extended disagreement about what I paid for a shower curtain liner that was half price at Penney's. He asked all sort of questions about whether I had tried cleaning my old one, bleaching it and so forth, which I had. He ended up calling me "Ms. Moneybags," sarcastically. Arrgh!!!
Lil' Kim has a few great lines in a certain oft-censored song, which I will let folks search for, that might fit:

You ain't payin' my bills, so you ain't sayin' nothin'
Ain't keepin' it real, then you need to stop frontin'

Old 04-04-2014, 11:10 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,122,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzyst View Post
"Your boyfriend is a total a-hole. Why are you even asking us? Just dump him now. Because if this relationship goes further, you'll have to justify every single purchase to him from now until doomsday.

There's a huge difference between being frugal and being a freaking cheapskate. The first is a matter of being prudent. The second is just misery for anybody in that person's life."

Answer: I DID dump him--he is an EX.
Sorry. I was confusing you with the original OP. I realize my mistake. I'm going to kill myself now out of shame.

Old 04-04-2014, 11:21 AM

3,138 posts, read 2,777,442 times
I think it's irrelevant whether or not you shop there b/c you're broke. I'm not, and I shop there all of the time, and for the same reasons you do

That being said, it's none of his business where you shop and why you shop there. Tell him that you like shopping there, and no matter how much poetry he waxes concerning the unethical nature of shopping at Walmart, nothing will change. So, let it go and back off!

Old 04-04-2014, 12:18 PM

49 posts, read 105,471 times
I don't like Walmart either but I will shop there once or twice a year if there is something they have that I need. There are many reasons to dislike Walmart. People shouldn't assume that those who don't shop at Walmart are being hypocritical if they buy imported items someplace else. Maybe that's not why they dislike Walmart, it's for other reasons.

I think that one common misperception is that Walmart has the lowest prices. That's definitely not true in my town. There are several other supermarkets and if you buy when items are on sale they are usually considerably cheaper than at Walmart. I could be wrong but as far as I know Walmart doesn't have weekly sale prices on items. I hear people saying all the time that they shop at Walmart because it saves money. I could point out many examples where this isn't true. But I don't.

Enough about Walmart. The issue here is not whether or not to shop at Walmart. It's about one person trying to wrongly impose their personal beliefs onto another person. It seems like the BF is trying too hard to control the OP.

Old 04-04-2014, 12:53 PM

17,633 posts, read 22,619,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Seriously...unless you are raising your own sheep, shearing your own wool, growing your own flax and cotton to create your own fibers and weave your own attire which you then dye with biodegradable vegetable-based dyes, you are not going to be wearing things that you can categorically say were manufactured in a socially responsible, sustainable, eco-friendly, ethical, cruelty-free, etc. manner (and maybe not even then). There is nothing wrong with conducting your personal business in a manner you can live with, but half-assed boycotts of cherry-picked retailers are prime slacktivism.
Here are some Cherry Blossom Trees in bloom, over by Walmart in Grants Pass......

Old 04-04-2014, 01:00 PM

8,781 posts, read 9,443,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Yeah, we could probably do that all day. Personally, I don't want to do those discount cards, especially when you realize what a retailer like that is doing with the data. Particularly a retailer who has a tough time fending off hackers. I have a nice, shiny new debit card in my wallet because my Visa was one of the millions compromised back around Thanksgiving.

But, regardless of our views on the whole WalMart vs. Target thing, the OP needs to realize what a controlling, hypersensitive nebbish she's become entangled with. Eject! Eject!
You would be surprised (or maybe not) by how many peoples banking information is compromised every year. Target happened to have one of the largest numbers affected last year so it was the one that got the most limelight. The year before that it was sony...smaller cases like Tjmaxx where barley a blip in reporting.

Most of them go unnoticed, which is scary to say the least.

That's why we pay for fraud prevention in our fees with our third parties like banks and credit issuers.

I would trust a company that has had the dickens scared out of them and sought out third party security firms after a breach over one who would never have even known or left it to be dealt with on a case by case basis.

Data compromises are just part of the climate now that it's not about exchanging physical goods

Last edited by rego00123; 04-04-2014 at 01:12 PM..

Old 04-04-2014, 03:46 PM

1,400 posts, read 1,575,978 times
Makes me glad my SO is appreciative as we stroll by the redbox and stuffed animal claw game..."only the best for you my dear" I say, and she just melts.

Old 04-04-2014, 04:05 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,122,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bannedontherun View Post
Makes me glad my SO is appreciative as we stroll by the redbox and stuffed animal claw game..."only the best for you my dear" I say, and she just melts.
Dang. You just pull out all the stops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.