Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 01:37 PM

78,339 posts, read 60,539,645 times

Advertisements

Ok, I'm a widower and I've reached the point where I would like to go out on some dates. I have 2 questions.

1) Any advice on what websites to use? For example, e-harmony seems more like a marriage site than a dating site and for now I just want to date.

2) I would think that being up-front about things would help to find someone in a similar mindset? For example, not having more kids, looking to date but not looking to jump into a serious relationship. I didn't think that would be too much info but thought I'd get people's 2 cents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2008, 06:35 PM

130 posts, read 446,874 times
I'd say honesty is the best policy (especially with regards to what you're looking for, etc.) That's one of the nice things about internet dating--assuming everyone is being honest that is... hmmm... Some of those things are "check boxes" on your profile (wants kids, does not want kids) so that part is pretty straight forward.

As for which websites--it may vary somewhat by age-range... (not sure how old you are.) I was on Match.com for about 10 months and met lots of nice/interesting guys (and a few strange ones here and there) but generally had a good experience. When I was on there, I DID see profiles for guys that stated they were looking to just date (can easily be interpreted as 'casual sex' by some if written with other content, so word it for what you're looking for). Since I WAS looking for serious dating, I didn't correspond with them--so I'd say it works to be upfront. (And yes, currently very much in love with a man I met on there )

Some guys on Match also had accounts on Yahoo personals, so that might be a place to look. But really, it's about finding where the women are that you find interesting, right? I think Match had a free trial at the beginning, so you can sort of poke around and see if there are women you find appealing. A good google search might get you some info or reviews, too--I bet they're out there....

I know there are some free sites out there, but I wasn't very impressed with them...

One of the nice things about internet dating is you sort of speed through the process of updating your dating skills. I got really good at honing in on my bull-**** meter! (A very important skill for women )

Good luck--I wish you many fun and interesting dates!

Old 09-13-2008, 03:29 PM

11,169 posts, read 10,649,071 times
E-Harmony is more of a serious relationship-minded sort of site in comparison to others dating sites???

That may explain why I am meeting a bunch of wankers on the one that I am on.

What's the actual difference on E-Harmony VS other sites. Also, what is it that I have seen on competitor commercials that E-Harmony has declined qualified singles from signing up with them? What would make someone unqualified? They are already single...

Input, comments, opinions, and so forth would be appreciated, thanks.

Old 09-13-2008, 04:33 PM

2,163 posts, read 4,340,053 times
What I heard is that eharmony disqualifies you if you're gay.

Old 09-13-2008, 06:21 PM

5,893 posts, read 12,808,567 times
I have a stepson who met his wife on E-Harmony, but it certainly didn't work for me at all. The whole process of filling out the profile is tedious, and the matches they gave me weren't even close to being good ones for me.

I've been on Match.com more than once and was also on BabyBoomersPeopleMeet.com. I found on both that some people are not honest about their marital status (and probably other things as well). I have met some interesting people that I would not have otherwise met, however, so I do encourage you to give Internet dating a try. I also encourage you to be as honest as possible up front. It will save all involved a lot of heartache, and no one will be wasting their time for nothing.

Old 09-13-2008, 06:29 PM

1,461 posts, read 3,651,526 times
I think finding some interest groups sometimes attracts people who have interests like you. Volunteer and you might find a nice giving person. Many big churches have adult singes groups. (met my first husband there)Many towns have professional dating services. I think networking with friends who know someone else is nice. At least you start with someone that someone knows something about them.
I met my second (stopped at two..LOL) while I was volunteering on the life squad in town. We were also both teachers and had a lot in common. Plus both had kids from our first marriages.

Old 09-13-2008, 06:36 PM

1,222 posts, read 3,829,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwoodpoint View Post
I think finding some interest groups sometimes attracts people who have interests like you. Volunteer and you might find a nice giving person. Many big churches have adult singes groups. (met my first husband there)Many towns have professional dating services. I think networking with friends who know someone else is nice. At least you start with someone that someone knows something about them.
I met my second (stopped at two..LOL) while I was volunteering on the life squad in town. We were also both teachers and had a lot in common. Plus both had kids from our first marriages.
I am new to Tampa and was wondering where to meet men for dating. I am 44 and not into clubs, but I do have a lot of interests. I just started going to Church. I have been here nine months. I did put an ad on Craigslist, but I was too cautious about meeting anyone. I did get a few good replies.

Old 09-13-2008, 06:39 PM

1,222 posts, read 3,829,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGirl118 View Post
E-Harmony is more of a serious relationship-minded sort of site in comparison to others dating sites???

That may explain why I am meeting a bunch of wankers on the one that I am on.

What's the actual difference on E-Harmony VS other sites. Also, what is it that I have seen on competitor commercials that E-Harmony has declined qualified singles from signing up with them? What would make someone unqualified? They are already single...

Input, comments, opinions, and so forth would be appreciated, thanks.
I had an acquaintance that met her long term BF on there, but you are right, I believe it is for serious relationships. I hate their commercials. I have found a good one that is called interracialcupid.com if you are interested in dating another race. I also have a link to the best sites. I will post it later.

Old 09-13-2008, 07:02 PM

11,169 posts, read 10,649,071 times
Maybe I'll try E-Harmony. Right now I belong to Dateacrazywacknutjob.com - ha. Thanks for the offer on the website, but I am not attracted to men with darker hair/darkereyes (I do not even find Tom Cruise attractive, it's not a racial thing) - I've always been partial to the med-lighter hair/lighter eyes combo.

Recently divorced, after having been with my ex-husband for 20 years - my gosh - the dating scene has REALLY changed. My single friends said it was bad - but I did not think it was this bad.

Old 09-13-2008, 08:13 PM

28 posts, read 69,718 times
I am actually trying EHarmony right now for the past week and I have few girls that are in the communication stages and a few in the open communication. It seems like a decent website and you'll find better quality people on there because the price is pretty steep, however I am just doing a special for 3 months for $30, and it def seems like its goal is for longer better relationships. They seem to throw out that special every month because I had a profile with them for the past year but never signed up and they always sent em to my email, otherwise it seems pretty pricey.

The communication stages are about showing the girl / guy your likes / dislikes...answer multipe choice questions...answering questions with essay like formats. At any point you or the match can choose to close communication, end of story. You pretty much get new matches everyday to look at. I think it is key that it takes at least 3-4 days to get to open communication because that way it weeds out a lot of the guys going for those hook-ups that you are probably running into left and right on the other ones. I'm sure these guys are on there too, where aren't they? but much fewer.

I haven't done much open communication yet but I'm on to that soon. Good luck.

Last edited by hoowahman; 09-13-2008 at 08:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships