Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 01:48 PM

867 posts, read 909,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by go-getta-J View Post
Yes I generalized and yes I made a jab at suburbs. Still doesn't change the fact that this mentality is prevalent in your typical cookie-cutter suburban/strip mall Whatevertown, USA.

Most people that reside in these environments aren't known for their out-of-the-box thinking when it comes to relationships. Living in the suburbs my whole life, I've experienced first hand how desperate people are to be "coupled up" for fear of being the odd man out in group gatherings.

Make this reply my second best post on this topic.
I'm a So-Cal guy here and I'm confused...since when was urban anything ever good?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 01:48 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,165,372 times
To be honest, I think most people desire love and companionship. I think it's always been this way and I think it will always be this way. If you don't - that's fine but I think that the reason that there is so much emphasis on love and relationships is because that is what most people want out of life.

Old 04-06-2014, 01:59 PM

13,650 posts, read 9,711,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artifice32 View Post
I'm a So-Cal guy here and I'm confused...since when was urban anything ever good?
We're dipping into the wrong debate here. Most portions of a metro-area, and contiguous metro areas such as from Northern Virginia through Southern Maine, are to some extent "cosmopolitan" and tolerant of career before marriage, of relationships before marriage and so forth. For rural areas and isolated smaller cities/towns, the prevailing mindset is more traditional. "Flyover country" is too much of a pejorative generalization. Chicago, Milwaukee, even St. Louis and Des Moines are going to be markedly different from the hinterlands 50 miles away from the city center.

Old 04-06-2014, 02:07 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,051,326 times
I think there is a tremendous amount of cultural pressure to conform to societal norms. One of those norms is the standardly-defined romantic relationship. I'm not necessarily opposed to such relationships; but my observations are that far too many people enter into such relationships at the wrong time, with the wrong person, for the wrong reasons, and with the wrong expectations.

It's better to continue on your own personal journey, with the understanding that, from time to time, you'll meet someone with whom you want to travel.

Old 04-07-2014, 05:06 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,498,923 times
Yeah, probably. Way back when, I dated a lot just because I thought it was the right thing to do. Then I realized that being a free dinner wasn't really all that it was cracked up to be and that I had to take care of other priorities. Most of the Facebooks of those women are less than flattering these days. I realized way too soon that dating people that I would probably later on regret ever knowing existed is pretty bad and I really wouldn't trade working out of the public eye for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships